2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 33 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #321
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I read (in the NY Times, I think) that a Ford rep., stated that the new map did not change the rating. I'll look for the article and link it.

EDIT: Here ya' go!

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...sumer-reports/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #322
Tiburon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90033
What I Drive: 2012, Silver, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Tiburon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantest View Post
Is the new transmission control code updates supposed to have some effect on the 2012 Focus' mpg city/hwy figures? Thanks!
I have noticed a definite difference in in-town MPGs. I have lost about 3 MPG since the update. The highway MPG is not different. I would explain this by the fact that the transmission now shifts at a higher RPM than it did previously. This makes for a smoother transmission but a less efficient transfer of power. I don't know how they can say it won't affect the fuel economy.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #323
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort69 View Post
Noemi - I've test driven the new Focus a few times - as a matter of fact I'm headed to the dealership again today. I have yet to notice the problems discussed, but I'll be paying closer today plus asking them about the new transmission technology behavior. I am currently a Focus owner and hope to continue in that vein - but I must admit being gun-shy of the first year of a new model vehicle; especially when I see reviews in the auto press mentioning the same transmission concerns. Granted, these tests were before the aforementioned software updates, but ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort69 View Post
]Hmm - during today's test drive I found that I really enjoy the sport mode - especially since I'm coming from a Focus Focus w/ manual transmission.
Hey Gort69,

Glad to learn you are testing and researching the 2012 Focus. I know reading all these issues can make a person leery or as you say "gun-shy" of purchasing the Focus, however, we have made strides in addressing the issues.
In the meantime, continue to enjoy test driving the sport mode. I'm hoping in the near future, you'll be cruising around in your very own Focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
Just curious, when did you buy your Focus and how long ago did you get the update? I don't live where there are ANY hills, but the last time I went somewhere where there are hills, I did have a lot of similar problems, although that was before the update. I wish I could test it today, but the biggest hill we have in Brunswick, GA is the off-ramp to the interstate, LOL. The shifting on my vehicle has felt relatively smooth since the software update. Unfortunately, the problem I'm having, which is a grinding sound in gear changes, hasn't been addressed. Good luck!
Hi Tiburon,

I have updated your info to the CSM. You will receive a call in the next day or so to address your concerns. Thank you for your patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
I have a strange issue after my software update. When I drive up a steep incline (a high hump, for about 20 yards), then let-off at the top to coast down the other side, the car surges and bucks, as the transmission can't make-up its mind whether to disengage, shift through gears, or otherwise. It revs as if in neutral, then bucks several times, as it engages and disengages several gears.
Any ideas? The update cured all other issues I had, but introduced this new one?I may drive around the issue in sport mode, but that's just a band-aid!
Quote:
Gort69, I like select-shift on my Focus, but hate to use it as a band-aid to overcome an issue.
Quote:
I haven't talked with anyone at the dealership. I'm going to take a wait-n-see stance at this point. To their credit, this tranny update has taken care of all the issues I had before.
Personally, when I look at the car as the sum of its parts, it is the best compact car I have driven, in its price class. Ask my wife. She bought a Cruze, after we both drove it, and she now acknowledges the Focus is far superior, and quiet inside.
Hi R1derbike,

I'm glad the recent update has smoothed out the transmission issues, however, you may want to visit the dealer for this new concern, just to be on the safe side. They'll be able to figure out if its associated with the recent update or something entirely different. Much preferred than the band-aid.

On another note, you can switch cars with your wife if she prefers a quiet interior . Props for your loyalty to the Ford Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantest View Post
Is the new transmission control code updates supposed to have some effect on the 2012 Focus' mpg city/hwy figures? Thanks!
Quote:
I read (in the NY Times, I think) that a Ford rep., stated that the new map did not change the rating. I'll look for the article and link it.
EDIT: Here ya' go!
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...sumer-reports/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
I have noticed a definite difference in in-town MPGs. I have lost about 3 MPG since the update. The highway MPG is not different. I would explain this by the fact that the transmission now shifts at a higher RPM than it did previously. This makes for a smoother transmission but a less efficient transfer of power. I don't know how they can say it won't affect the fuel economy.
It is possible to have a slight change due to the system re-learning driving habits for the shift strategy, however, overall there should be no direct effect on fuel economy.

I would like to wish you all a PROSPEROUS New Year!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 12-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #324
tncrom
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93193
What I Drive: 1998 Red Sienna

FF Reputation: 1 tncrom Good Standing Member
Are the cars on the lot getting the updates to software?

Hi all,...

Have really been looking at the Focus for over 6 months now, and finally took a test drive yesterday of an SE model with the auto. I went through town, made a turn afer slowing down and felt a wierd transmission lurch at low speed as I was accelerating (or trying to do so). Just read Consumer Reports today, and they really hammered the transmission performance and Ford Sync being so complicated. Now, reading this forum has completed the story -- I am not going to buy one until later, or will go somewhere else. Nonetheless, Ford should be updating these cars asap if in fact the software update does fix the issue. This is quite the black eye. Trying to buy American (or at least American-headquartered), and Ford is my darling since they didn't take a buyout, but I can't take on these mechanical/sofware issues into my daily life.

Just my thoughts for others if they are considering getting into this vehicle also.

Chris
Old 12-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #325
Gort69
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93103
What I Drive: 2005 Blue SES ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Gort69 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncrom View Post
Hi all,...

Have really been looking at the Focus for over 6 months now, and finally took a test drive yesterday of an SE model with the auto. I went through town, made a turn afer slowing down and felt a wierd transmission lurch at low speed as I was accelerating (or trying to do so). Just read Consumer Reports today, and they really hammered the transmission performance and Ford Sync being so complicated. Now, reading this forum has completed the story -- I am not going to buy one until later, or will go somewhere else. Nonetheless, Ford should be updating these cars asap if in fact the software update does fix the issue. This is quite the black eye. Trying to buy American (or at least American-headquartered), and Ford is my darling since they didn't take a buyout, but I can't take on these mechanical/sofware issues into my daily life.

Just my thoughts for others if they are considering getting into this vehicle also.

Chris
Hey Chris - I test drove yesterday - encountered zero transmission issues and I was paying very close attention. I wish I knew which way to go..
Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #326
r1derbike
Focus Addict

I had zero issues on the three trim levels I drove, but they were all late 2011 builds, with the latest update. Mine was built in June, so it needed the update, and it was done quickly, at my request.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #327
Gort69
Focus Rookie

Quote:
I had zero issues on the three trim levels I drove, but they were all late 2011 builds, with the latest update. Mine was built in June, so it needed the update, and it was done quickly, at my request.
This is the wrong forum to bring this up - Focus or Mazda3?? I need to stop test driving..
Old 12-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #328
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Well, that Mazda would need a paper sack, (cutouts for the headlights, of course) before I drove it in daylight.

The Foci I drove felt more refined, than anything else I tested.

Was willing to look past the tranny teething, as the rest of the car excels.

At the end of the day, you have to please yourself!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #329
Gort69
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Well, that Mazda would need a paper sack, (cutouts for the headlights, of course) before I drove it in daylight!
I found a website that did side-by-side photo comparisons of the exterior and interior of the Focus, Mazda3, Jetta etc.

I never realized just how goofy the Mazda really looks. The Focus wins the beauty contest hands-down..
Old 12-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #330
tncrom
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93193
What I Drive: 1998 Red Sienna

FF Reputation: 1 tncrom Good Standing Member
I have to state though too that the Focus drove well, I thought was quiet, had solid feel, not cheap feeling. Decent acceleration for a 4 cyl., -- there were a lot of things I liked about it too.

Bookmarks & Social Networks