2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 31 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #301
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for the links, cappa. Had not seen those.

I am going to pop-down a trim level (maybe two), and see how the MyTouch works in a few years of modifications. My goal is to get the ST in 2013 (2014 model) so the bugs may be worked-out.

Tomorrow, I get the vehicle I'm interested in. I like the new focus, overall.

Getting back on topic; after driving this car in the twisties, highway, and city, I cannot fault the transmission. It just worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #302
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
It does upshift through gears very quickly, at lower rpm, with very light throttle touch. It only takes a quick nudge to get it to downshift, where I want it.
Excellent. I've been trying to stress this point in my posts about this tranny. Once you get it, it's very easy to manipulate the shift points. I've been really impressed with it so far. For the record, I've been a manual guy all my driving life.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #303
Tiburon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90033
What I Drive: 2012, Silver, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Tiburon Good Standing Member
Go watch this and tell me if I'm imagining the grinding noise.
http://youtu.be/54_3_qF2xhQ

I'm sick of this. The dealer says they know it's a problem, but they've been instructed not to work on it.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #304
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post

I'm sick of this. The dealer says they know it's a problem, but they've been instructed not to work on it.
Damn Tiburon I feel for ya man, I guess Ford is using you as their new lab rat to see when that thing actually blows up.

Can you get the lemon law?

Montana
Old 12-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #305
1bille1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82596
What I Drive: 2000 black zts

FF Reputation: 1 1bille1 Good Standing Member
Quote:

get rid of that lemon, now.
http://consumer.ga.gov/consumer-serv...teps-to-follow
Old 12-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #306
1bille1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82596
What I Drive: 2000 black zts

FF Reputation: 1 1bille1 Good Standing Member
http://www.consumer.ga.gov/pdf/Lemon_Law_Rules_9-11.pdf
http://www.txdmv.gov/protection/lemon_law.htm

"The Georgia Lemon Law:
The vehicle must be purchased, leased, or registered in Georgia. Covers new motor vehicles or demonstration vehicles, if titled as new.

Covers new trucks up to 12,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating and the self-propelled and chassis portion of new motor homes.

Covers nonconformities first reported within the lemon law rights period, which is the first two years or 24,000 miles of operation of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. A vehicle may qualify under the lemon law after the manufacturer or its authorized dealer has been given a reasonable number of attempts to repair the same nonconformity within the lemon law rights period, but has not been able to repair the nonconformity.

Under the lemon law, a reasonable number of attempts is deemed to be: (a.) one attempt, if the nonconformity is a serious safety defect;
(b.) three attempts, if the nonconformity, although not a serious safety defect, substantially impairs the use, value, or safety of the vehicle; or,
(c.) a cumulative total of 30 days during which the vehicle is out of service for repair of one or more nonconformities. "

(BOTTOM LINE...)
"After a reasonable number of attempts to repair a serious safety defect or any other nonconformity (either a. or b. above), the consumer must notify the manufacturer and provide the manufacturer with a final opportunity to repair the nonconformity. If the manufacturer fails to correct the nonconformity after the final repair attempt, or if the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of one or more nonconformities for a cumulative total of 30 days, the consumer may be eligible for a refund for the purchase price of the vehicle or a replacement vehicle.

It is very important to keep copies of all work orders, reports (such as vehicle inspection, diagnosis, or test drive reports) and written correspondence with the manufacturer. Remember, you are entitled to receive a fully itemized and legible statement or repair order each time you take your vehicle in for diagnosis or repair. To assert your rights under the law, other requirements may apply. For further information, contact the Governor’s Office of Consumer Protection."
Old 12-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #307
Tiburon
Focus Rookie

Thanks 1bille1. The problem I am having right now is the dealer has actually only made one attempt to repair it. Now they are saying they are waiting on instructions from Ford once a fix is available. In other words, they know the law and are avoiding "attempts to repair." I'm going to have to get a bit more pushy I believe.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #308
Gort69
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93103
What I Drive: 2005 Blue SES ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Gort69 Good Standing Member
Quote:
... The problem I am having right now is the dealer has actually only made one attempt to repair it. Now they are saying they are waiting on instructions from Ford once a fix is available. In other words, they know the law and are avoiding "attempts to repair." I'm going to have to get a bit more pushy I believe.
Hiya Tiburon - I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2012 Focus SEL, but hesitating because of the tranny issues. Would you advise for or against? The models I'm looking at have build dates after Aug 12...
Old 12-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #309
Tiburon
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort69 View Post
Hiya Tiburon - I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2012 Focus SEL, but hesitating because of the tranny issues. Would you advise for or against? The models I'm looking at have build dates after Aug 12...
I'm probably not the best person to ask because of the problem I am having. Most of the people in this thread have a different problem than I do. I really haven't confirmed that anyone is having the exact issue I do. The problem that a lot of folks were having regarding the hard shifting and lunging into gears was largely fixed by a recent software update. A lot of the rest of it is because of the type of transmission. I probably wouldn't buy one myself, just because of the issues I am having with the dealer. But, if you have a dealer you really trust, my only recommendation would be to test drive, test drive and test drive. Drive several different ones to check for differences in feel and listen to the shifting. Also, check with other people in the community to find out what the average person's opinion is about the dealer and it's service department.

Fact is, other than the grinding issue I'm having, I really like the car. It is packed with features and is plenty comfortable on long trips. Oh, and the gas mileage is awesome. If I could get rid of this grinding, I would be so happy. If you don't hear it, after testing it thoroughly, you're probably good to go. My problem has been since day one. The dealer initially told me that it just needs to be broken in. Don't believe that for a moment. If it's rough to start with, it will likely stay rough. Hope that was helpful.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #310
Gort69
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93103
What I Drive: 2005 Blue SES ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Gort69 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I'm probably not the best person to ask because of the problem I am having. Most of the people in this thread have a different problem than I do........ Hope that was helpful.
It was very helpful - thanx muchly. For me, no sense in asking the opinion of somebody who's 'ecstatic' already - I prefer more reality. I'm always leery of buying a "totally new" car in the first year anyhow. I have a 2005 ZX4 SES now and like it lots.. Not sure which way I'll go - we looked at Mazda3 today.

Bookmarks & Social Networks