2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 30 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #291
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
OMG! I was going to use Ford Credit 2012 incentive to purchase a 2012 Focus TI, and now, after being absent from this board after I purchased two new Foci (2009, 2010) and having issues with both, I nearly made the mistake of my life tomorrow! Buying another new problem Focus!

What-in-the-hell is going on here? Manuals are out of the question because of health issues! Yes! I'd expect the new six-speed to shift a tad rougher, but can so many owners' perception be wrong?

Man, I may have to get the incentive Fusion, just to get in the driver's seat for a 2014 ST, and bypass the 2012 Focus. Bummer. Thanks to this thread, I've got a clear choice now.

What is Ford's official position on this issue? That there is officially no issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #292
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Everyone in this thread has the problem. But everyone with a 2012 doesn't have the problem. That being said, I wouldn't get the car either until they figure out what it is. In the "Issues" thread, it does seem that most problems are solved with a software update.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #293
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
OMG! I was going to use Ford Credit 2012 incentive to purchase a 2012 Focus TI, and now, after being absent from this board after I purchased two new Foci (2009, 2010) and having issues with both, I nearly made the mistake of my life tomorrow! Buying another new problem Focus!

What-in-the-hell is going on here? Manuals are out of the question because of health issues! Yes! I'd expect the new six-speed to shift a tad rougher, but can so many owners' perception be wrong?

Man, I may have to get the incentive Fusion, just to get in the driver's seat for a 2014 ST, and bypass the 2012 Focus. Bummer. Thanks to this thread, I've got a clear choice now.

What is Ford's official position on this issue? That there is officially no issue?
Lemme speak for the probable hundreds of people who don't have problems with the DCT for every one who does. It's been nothing short of marvelous. Especially now that I have about 1500mi on it. It shifts smooth and quiet under modest acceleration, punch the gas and it revs aggressively before upshifting.

I'm not discounting some people may have issues, but understand that most people who don't will not post about it on a web forum.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #294
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Thanks for the 2012 clarification, whynotthinkwhynot.

Smizak as well. On the fence with this one.

I'll do some extensive research on the year-end 2012 Focus, before I totally write-it-off.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #295
r1derbike
Focus Addict

August 12th, 2012 Software Fix?

Could anyone comment about the information below? Has the software map change "fixed" all transmissions updated since August 12th?

EDIT: I found what appears to be good news for most in the other thread. I'll head to the dealer tomorrow, pickup a titanium I'm interested in, and drive it for at least a day. The dealer said will be no problem, as I've purchased 3 new Fords from them since 2006, and he wants anyone to be happy with their purchase decision. Wish me luck! It would seem a luck-of-the-draw will be needed. Not enough time for a proper tranny data learning, but maybe any glaring issues will be noticed, without it.

=========================

"In a technical service bulletin dated Sept. 13, the automaker informed dealers that some 2012 Focuses “may exhibit various automatic transmission and engine driveability concerns.”

It went on to instruct the dealers how to reprogram the power train control module for “smoother accelerations, reduced hesitation, better low-speed driveability and improved shift scheduling.”

That bulletin addressed models built before Aug. 12. Richard Truett, a Ford spokesman, wrote in an e-mail that Ford had made the change to all new Focus models starting on that date, and that the alterations would not change the car’s Environmental Protection Agency fuel economy ratings."

==========================

Last edited by r1derbike; 12-14-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #296
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Quote:
I'll do some extensive research on the year-end 2012 Focus, before I totally write-it-off.
Quote:
EDIT: I found what appears to be good news for most in the other thread. I'll head to the dealer tomorrow, pickup a titanium I'm interested in, and drive it for at least a day. The dealer said will be no problem, as I've purchased 3 new Fords from them since 2006, and he wants anyone to be happy with their purchase decision. Wish me luck! It would seem a luck-of-the-draw will be needed. Not enough time for a proper tranny data learning, but maybe any glaring issues will be noticed, without it.
Hey R1derbike,

Thank you for not writing off the Focus based on the issues specified in the forum. As whynothinkwhynot mentioned, "everyone" may seem to have the same concern and issues but this may not be so. That being said, for those who are experiencing these transmission issues, I exhort a visit to their local Ford dealership for a proper diagnoses and repair as well as reaching out to myself and Natasha assistance.

Have a great time cruising around the Focus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
Lemme speak for the probable hundreds of people who don't have problems with the DCT for every one who does. It's been nothing short of marvelous. Especially now that I have about 1500mi on it. It shifts smooth and quiet under modest acceleration, punch the gas and it revs aggressively before upshifting.
I'm not discounting some people may have issues, but understand that most people who don't will not post about it on a web forum.
Hi Smizak,

Thank you very much for your comments. I'm thrilled to learn you are enjoying your Focus!

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 12-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #297
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
One poster in the 2012 general discussion forum had the software update applied to DCT. As the dealer was about to close for the day, they asked him to perform the final step of the process that began with 11 shifts from drive to reverse followed by repeating several driving cycles. This TSB says this driving cycle is necessary to prevent more drivability issues, and seems to have worked for the OP.

A question does remain however as to whether this driving strategy can/should also be used on a new Focus, or one that isn't behaving exactly as it should. Do the 11 shifts "open" the system to learn a new shift strategy? Should this driving pattern also be applied as soon as a new Focus is driven off the lot? Or is this only relevant for software upgrades?

A comment from Ford Customer Service would sure be helpful. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #298
r1derbike
Focus Addict

I have driven the new Focus about 100 miles so far. The sales rep said the latest TCM data has been flashed, as they do that very quickly.

The shift points were very much like my wife's FIT. 3000 to 4000 rpm upshifts, at first (which made this car feel very much ALIVE!). It settled down the more I drove it, as I learned to not feed in as much throttle as I'm accustomed to in my 2010 Focus. No shuddering, jerking or other ill traits were found.

It does upshift through gears very quickly, at lower rpm, with very light throttle touch. It only takes a quick nudge to get it to downshift, where I want it.

I don't know why everyone gripes about the stick mounted side toggle for manual operation of the tranny in sport mode. You have to shift a manual at the stick.

I've operated both now (paddles, toggle), and while the paddles are great for a full-on sport vehicle, this is a passenger car. with a hint of sport capability.

I expected more power from the engine compartment, compared to my 2010, however. It is a test drive, so I'm not going to abuse the engine, and can't make any upper tach comparos between the two.

Anyway, the car feels planted, with just a hint more cabin noise, than the 2010, probably due to the Conti rubber, compared to the Kumhos, on mine.

I'm really irked at the MyTouch operation. The delay from screen tap to control movement is unacceptable, making the distraction last even longer. Ugh. Fix it Ford! I thought the days of slow microprocessors were at an end.

Anyway, enough off topic rambling. The tranny seems fine. Time will tell.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #299
Chapter_one
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90770
What I Drive: 2012 Wht Plat Tri-ct met - Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Chapter_one Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
A question does remain however as to whether this driving strategy can/should also be used on a new Focus, or one that isn't behaving exactly as it should. Do the 11 shifts "open" the system to learn a new shift strategy? Should this driving pattern also be applied as soon as a new Focus is driven off the lot? Or is this only relevant for software upgrades?
Interesting question . . . I look back at our experience with the new TI. A previous post indicated, I believe, August 11th as the magic date. Our TI was built after that date and supposedly had the update applied. It apparently worked since we have never experienced the severe problems I have seen described. Now, I'm wondering if, on our next service visit, whether the TSB described will be automatically applied (again) or if the service department will verify the build date and leave well enough alone. Or . . . will it even make any difference?? Only time will tell
Old 12-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #300
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
Quote:

I'm really irked at the MyTouch operation. The delay from screen tap to control movement is unacceptable, making the distraction last even longer. Ugh. Fix it Ford! I thought the days of slow microprocessors were at an end.

Anyway, enough off topic rambling. The tranny seems fine. Time will tell.
a bit off topic, but fyi

http://www.dailytech.com/MyFord+Touc...ticle23205.htm

http://www.dailytech.com/Ford+is+Fir...ticle23490.htm

and I agree with you for the most part about the transmission being a non-issue(for me anyways)

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->