2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 26 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #251
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc1 View Post
I am supposed to take delivery of a Titanium hatch back in two weeks. With all the transmission problems reported and Fords failure to find the fault I just may say screw it and walk away. The shuddering described sounds in my opinion like clutch chatter caused by contaminated friction surfaces.It is an automated manual with two clutches. Clutch chatter if caused by contamination does not go away by itself. Will Ford ever find a solution? Will they stand behind their product? What will this problem do to resale value? Will they discontinue the manufacture of this trans and replace it with something else next year? I have owned many Ford products in the last forty years and have been very satisfied, but this really scares me. I don't want to throw $25,000 down a rat hole. I need some gurantees from Ford that they can fix this problem,or I will walk away.
I can live with the My touch problems because I feel that it is a firmware or software problem and can be fixed.
cardoc1,

Don't just walk away run as fast as you can. Ford has not stood behind this issue and you can check the NHTSA complaints as well as Consumer Reports feedback on the Focus that was just released. There is a reason why so many are rating the Focus the way they are. Let's look at the Adaptive Learning Strategy, Which driver does the car know is in the driver seat if there are two or more drivers that operate the vehicle? There is no switch that selects which driver is in the car. Also a Ford tech in his own words posted this here on this forum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
The TCM, which is the "brain" of the transmission, does not "learn" anything about the driver.

It does "learn" and fine tunes the electro-mechanical control of the clutches and shift drums.
So is Ford Customer Service filling us with a bunch of mis-information to make it seem that this is all in our minds and something that will go away? I have 2500 miles on my vehicle and still the same issues and a few new ones to boot.

Do yourself a favor and pass on this vehicle, If you really want a Ford pick a different model or just wait until next year to see what they do with the current issues.

Montana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #252
cardoc1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90592
What I Drive: 2012 titanium 5door

FF Reputation: 1 cardoc1 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the advice.
I wonder how many or what percentage of foci have had problems? Are they the majority or minorty? What are my odds of getting a problem free car, they all can't be bad,or can they?
They sure look nice,but if I don't get any answers from Ford I will walk away. There are Ford reps on this site and I don't hear any answers to my conserns. Will a Focus with a build date of 10/25 have any of these problems resolved?

FORD are you out there??????
Old 10-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #253
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Quote:
They sure look nice,but if I don't get any answers from Ford I will walk away. There are Ford reps on this site and I don't hear any answers to my conserns. Will a Focus with a build date of 10/25 fave any of these problems resolved?

FORD are you out there??????
Natasha did respond to your concerns.

Quote:
@centflfocus & cardoc1,

The PowerShift transmission has an adaptive learning process that enables it to smooth out as it adjusts to individual driving habits. Shifting is electronically controlled, so it has different sensations than a basic transmission. Rest assured, I am here to help with the few experiencing lingering issues, and the Focus is an excellent decision for your next vehicle.

~Natasha
That is what you will get from her and the CSM. She will say she is here to help and she does do her job and escalate the issue, The CSM will tell you nothing is wrong with the vehicle it is operating just as it should.

I believe we are the minority here on this forum but with the recent release from Consumer Reports on the 2012 Focus I would say it may be more than I had guessed. If you decide to test drive it do so for hours and hit stop and go traffic and a few hills and anything else you can think of. Not that you will still be free and clear but it will lessen the chance of you getting a problem car.

Montana
Old 10-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #254
cardoc1
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. My wife wanted a CRV, so if the Focus turns out to be a lemon she will never forgive me.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #255
cardoc1
Focus Enthusiast

I owned a 2000 CRV for six years with no problems. I also have since new a 1999 Maxima also with no problems
Old 10-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #256
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
They sure look nice,but if I don't get any answers from Ford I will walk away. There are Ford reps on this site and I don't hear any answers to my conserns. Will a Focus with a build date of 10/25 have any of these problems resolved?
Hey cardoc1,

I see Montana pointed out my reply, and there's no need to worry before getting your new Focus. Most customers drive their Focuses with no issues, and those with concerns are addressed. If I can help track your new Focus over the next two weeks, PM me your order number and dealer name/location so I can keep you updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifocus View Post
If i would have known this car was going to have this many problems
lifocus - Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #257
red2009se

Fan#: 79513
What I Drive: car

FF Reputation: 1 red2009se Good Standing Member
Reliability issue is if the trans broke down and left people stranded. This is more an 'annoyance' issue. They are getting a 'fix' to make it less 'annoying', then keeping it from breaking down.

In Europe, Austrailia, there is no complaining. It sounds like the transmission needs to be tuned for stop and go traffic, which more Americans drive.

BTW, the Honda Element is ugly as sin, and now out of production. Honda dumbed down their cars, and now lost sales. Once the 'annoying shake' is taken care of, then there's no "reliability problems''.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #258
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by red2009se View Post
Reliability issue is if the trans broke down and left people stranded. This is more an 'annoyance' issue. They are getting a 'fix' to make it less 'annoying', then keeping it from breaking down.

... Once the 'annoying shake' is taken care of, then there's no "reliability problems''.
How do you know that the "shudder/shake" isn't causing premature clutch wear making the transmission less "reliable" in the future?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #259
Beepster
Banned

Fan#: 88947
What I Drive: Black 2012 Elantra GL

FF Reputation: 1 Beepster Good Standing Member
After another talk with the owner of the dealership,I asked him about the rumors that Ford is gonna kill the Powershit transmission and replace it with the soon to come 8 speed one.At first he told me he didn't heard about it.Soon after he called his Ford contact.The official answer is that Ford denies that the 8 speed transmission will replace the Powershift.Ford also says that the Powershift is "bulletproof" and will be Ford's work horse for the futur.He then told me that Mazda had the same transmissions and I stopped him there.The Mazda2 has a conventional 4 speed transmission and the Mazda3 Skyactiv transmission has a torque converter for low speeds that illiminates all shuddering experienced with the powershift.

This was about to turn into a long discussion and I decided to end it there.Obviously Ford is stuck with this transmission and all the problems for a certain time.To make matters worst,close to 90% 2012 Focuses are sold with this transmission.In normal circonstances I would simply say "shit happens,they tried something new" but putting the blame on the consumer will make them lose a lot of clients.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #260
cardoc1
Focus Enthusiast

I saw Natasha's reply and my build is on schedule and thanked her for that info. I will be shure to give it an extensive test drive and inspection before signing on the bottom line

Bookmarks & Social Networks