2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 102 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #1011
cleangone
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 152962
What I Drive: 2012 Focus hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 cleangone Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Reading through the forum, one thing that really bugs me is how there is all this "It's a different kind of transmission", "Need to learn how to drive it" and "Not a true automatic" talk from Ford AFTER you buy the car, but not a peep about that before. I traded in a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I loved driving every mile of every day for a Focus specifically because it would be more manageable and driver-friendly for a new driver. I would never have gone for the car if I knew it was some hybrid auto/manual instead of a vanilla automatic. It's the worst of both worlds - you don't get the fun of a manual or the ease of an automatic. And the sport shift is, IMO, all but useless since there's no clutch for smoothly coasting when appropriate.

I guess the dealer had me figured out pretty quick. I was dealing at a disadvantage since I was telling the truth and they pretty much lied whenever they opened their mouths: "It's a lease return" (they bought it at auction), "We don't sell cars that have problems" (transmission rebuild at 8K miles), "No need for a Car Fax" (unless you want a heads about about the prev issue), and "Great for a new driver" (which might be true, since a new driver might not realize most cars don't shudder, stutter and roll backwards).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #1012
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Initiation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangone View Post
... not a peep about that before. ... I would never have gone for the car if I knew it was some hybrid auto/manual instead of a vanilla automatic. ...
Sad to say, there have been lots of "peeps" about it here on this forum for several years now. I know that's not the same as hearing the truth from the people you were dealing with, but now you know. The moral of this story is that it's up to you as a buyer to know what you're getting and not rely on just what the seller is telling you. It is a zero-sum transaction, so you can't expect them to look out for your interests. From your earlier post it sounds like you've already figured that out.

I'm not unsympathetic because I had to learn stuff like this myself many years ago when we didn't have as much information about what was going on as is available today. I've found that it feels slightly less bad if you write it off to the rising cost of education and make sure to remember what was learned going forward. Even better is to learn from what other people have gone through and not have to live through their unpleasant experiences first hand.

Quote:
... I guess the dealer had me figured out pretty quick. I was dealing at a disadvantage ...
We amateur carbuyers are always at a disadvantage when dealing with professionals. We do this once in a while and they do it every day for a living. The more we learn from experiences like this, though, the better we get at it. I hope.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #1013
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Reading through the forum, one thing that really bugs me is how there is all this "It's a different kind of transmission", "Need to learn how to drive it" and "Not a true automatic" talk from Ford AFTER you buy the car, but not a peep about that before.
Yes. I have raised this a number or times. Their marketing msterials say nothing but "automatic".
Old 04-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #1014
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
I guess the dealer had me figured out pretty quick. I was dealing at a disadvantage since I was telling the truth and they pretty much lied whenever they opened their mouths: "It's a lease return" (they bought it at auction), "We don't sell cars that have problems" (transmission rebuild at 8K miles), "No need for a Car Fax" (unless you want a heads about about the prev issue), and "Great for a new driver" (which might be true, since a new driver might not realize most cars don't shudder, stutter and roll backwards).
Hey cleangone,

Welcome to this fabulous forum! I'm Todd, the Ford rep for Focus Fanatics. I'm glad you were finally able to get this straightened out. I'd like to document your dealer feedback for internal review; please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, dealership name, and any additional details you'd like me to include.

As always, I'm here to answer any questions you might have.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 04-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #1015
cleangone
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 152962
What I Drive: 2012 Focus hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 cleangone Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
Sad to say, there have been lots of "peeps" about it here on this forum for several years now. I know that's not the same as hearing the truth from the people you were dealing with, but now you know. The moral of this story is that it's up to you as a buyer to know what you're getting and not rely on just what the seller is telling you.
Yep - you've got that right. I pretty much did everything wrong - walked into a dealership looking for a specific car and bought one that day. Ouch - it hurts to even say those words :)

My flimsy defense is I was buying a "family car". I wasn't excited about it, and was, in fact, looking for something that was not overly exciting or that had super-peppy performance. I have never had what I would call a bad car buying experience until now, and never considered that I would be coming away with a car that made me mad every single time I drove it.

Hopefully the clutch repair will fix it.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #1016
Catmatton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105126
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Catmatton Good Standing Member
I guess i have a great service department!

I hear about all these issues people are struggling with trying to get their car fixed. I emailed my service advisor the other day. He told me to swing by when it was shuddering (as it only happens when the vehicle has warmed up). He had the tech jump in it today for 30 seconds as we quickly drove around the parking lot (i get a BAD shudder in second gear with low RPM's). Tech advised me that its a known issue with the focus DCT and in fact he was in the midst of repair one before jumping in my car. Service advisor scheduled me in for their next available appointment (next wednesday) and will set me up with a rental car for the day. Fords position on this I was told is that before they were straight up replacing the clutch however since its become such a large issue they have told the dealers to clean the clutch (as its most likely a seal that has gone and oil is on the clutch now) before replacing the clutch. If the issue continues then to replace the clutch.

I think this decision on fords behalf is silly. With the cost of a tech to tear the transmission apart twice, and cause the grief of the customer to go through all this because of a known issue. Step up to the plate resolve the issue once and for all.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #1017
drag-t
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103525
What I Drive: 2012, Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 drag-t Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmatton View Post
(as it only happens when the vehicle has warmed up). (i get a BAD shudder in second gear with low RPM's).
Catmatton,

I have the same concern about my 2012 Focus transmission. After the engine and transmission are up to working temperature or after about 30 minutes of driving, the transmission will shutter (sometimes violently) when starting from a stop, especially turning a corner or uphill. It will do this while in the “drive” mode, but in “S” mode and shifting manually the shuttering can be alleviated by about 80%. I find this very troublesome and it doesn’t feel normal. The vehicle has 23,800 miles on it and started doing this about one month ago.

I took it to the local Ford dealer in my town just out of convenience to see if they could help. Well… they were no help at all and told me that the shuttering was normal. I have several co-workers that have the same issue with their Focus’s and they have yet to find answers as well.

I’m to the point where I’d be willing to trade it in and get a Focus with a manual transmission…

Question... How many miles were on your Focus when it started shuttering?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 04-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #1018
Catmatton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105126
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Catmatton Good Standing Member
Dave,

Don't accept that answer from your dealer. Have them go for a drive with you when the vehicle is warmed up. My tech was in the car for 30 seconds and knew exactly what the problem was.

Mine started at around 33,000k. I'm currently at 35,000. I did a couple transmission updates during that period trying to solve other issues. After the update there is a learning period you need to get past where there could be some shuddering but after a 1000 clicks it should be fine.

The problem happens when a gasket leaks oil onto the dry clutch plates which cause it to slip. My assumption is that it has enough grip when the vehicle is cold and as it warms up either more oil leaks into the case or allows the clutch to slip.

If you continue to have issues with your dealer, partner with the ford rep that posts on this forum for assistance.

All the best!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #1019
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
No pain, no gain

Quote:
... Ouch - it hurts to even say those words :)
Look at it like hurting muscles after a good workout. When they stop hurting you're stronger. You have at least looked at it from the angle of understanding what you can do differently in the future to be less trusting and defend yourself, rather than denying that there was anything you could have done differently.

Quote:
Hopefully the clutch repair will fix it.
I've got my fingers crossed for you.

It ought to be a sure fix. I hope someone at Ford figures out soon why it is so hit and miss. Maybe they already know and are leaving it to all their customers with bad ones to figure it out? The grief that Ford and many of its dealers have caused so many of their customers does not inspire a lot of confidence in me about buying a car from them.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #1020
drag-t
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103525
What I Drive: 2012, Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 drag-t Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmatton View Post
Dave,

Don't accept that answer from your dealer. Have them go for a drive with you when the vehicle is warmed up.
Thanks Catmatton for your quick response!!

I did call several other nearby dealers and explained my issue with the transmission. I did set up an appointment with one.

The service manager wants to have a tech drive my car as soon as I get to the shop and leave it for the day. He also explained that many others have experienced the same issue, but not all of them were serious enough to change transmission components, but some were. He also mentioned updating software which might help, but he also said it may not.

At the very least he was more straight forward in explaining what other people have had issues with. I guess we'll see what happens...

Dave

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->