2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 101 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-17-2014, 11:36 PM   #1001
brains77396
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 142753
What I Drive: 2012 white Focus

FF Reputation: 1 brains77396 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
We have a 2012 focus with the 6 speed manual that shifts itself. It shudders, shakes, had the front end bounce up and down, and is a all around pain in the rear. Also have a 2009 coupe with the four speed auto that is fun to drive and a 2013 with the 5 speed manual which is a hoot to drive. Love all three cars but the 6 speed leaves a lot to be desired. Oh, it will get smoother as it get a few miles on it. Well, it has over 22,000 and hasn't gotten any better. If it was paid for I would take it out back and shoot it. Did have it reprogramed with the recall and that fixed it rolling backward every time we stopped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 11:54 PM   #1002
SEFocus2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114989
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 SEFocus2012 Good Standing Member
Like everyone else,i have had the same issues.I've personally never felt what the OP said, but the noises and vibrations are the same. I turn my TCS off and it seems to calm down a little.anyone else notice that?

But yea, the technology is great, but it seems like a wet clutch with paddles would be better.or some other alternative would be an improvement. But then the cost of the car would be outrageous and wouldn't sell. Just cuz Ferraris have dual clutch systems doesn't mean ours will be just like theirs. Hell, on Top Gear UK, Jeremy Clarkson stated himself that for regular round about town driving, even the most advanced dual clutch auto systems with the flappy paddles are a pain in the arse. But all in all the focus has been great.no other issues like the fans blowing or what not. Sorry for being just as blunt as others but...deal with it, it won't get better nor will it get replaced. Trade it in if that's an option..if not, I'm sorry.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:51 AM   #1003
idrummerboy13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115666
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 idrummerboy13 Good Standing Member
My story

We'll after my list of issues ...
Driver window stuck at 80% up
Dct replaced 3 times
Horrible service at the dealership with them telling me I'm driving my car to hard. I won't even get into that....

My car has improved after 2k miles or so. And I have no idea what it is but I can't say I'm not happy with it. Every so often when I hit the gas to suddenly after a stop it shudders but I have learned to control that. Shifts are so fast and smooth. I always run 93 octane also which I'm sure helps. It idles nicer with the snorkel delete and filter shebang

For you guys with issues I would say don't let the dealer take advantage and if your truely done with the car , you can buy quite the Audi if you throw in some money on a trade in. ��

Follow me on Instagram-GFEMMINELLA
Old 02-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #1004
brains77396
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 142753
What I Drive: 2012 white Focus

FF Reputation: 1 brains77396 Good Standing Member
Don't get me wrong guys. I really like the car except for the x-mission. Well, it's the wife's car and she hates the transmission. Ford is a little under-rated with their mileage claims. On the highway we get 45 MPG, 30 to 33 running around locally. However, it is as flat as a pancake here is southern Texas. My oldest son gets 42 on the road in his 2009 coupe going back and forth to college. We bought my youngest son a 2013 with a 5 speed last July. It is sitting in the garage with 29 miles on it. By the time he starts driving it I will have a year of the payments made.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #1005
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by brains77396 View Post
We have a 2012 focus with the 6 speed manual that shifts itself. It shudders, shakes, had the front end bounce up and down, and is a all around pain in the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFocus2012 View Post
i have had the same issues.I've personally never felt what the OP said, but the noises and vibrations are the same. I turn my TCS off and it seems to calm down a little.anyone else notice that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrummerboy13 View Post
We'll after my list of issues ...
Driver window stuck at 80% up
Dct replaced 3 times
Horrible service at the dealership with them telling me I'm driving my car to hard. I won't even get into that....
Hey everyone,

I'd like to connect you with your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your dealer to find a solution. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage (if not listed above), and preferred dealership.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 02-20-2014, 03:06 AM   #1006
SEFocus2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114989
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 SEFocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Hey everyone,

I'd like to connect you with your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your dealer to find a solution. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage (if not listed above), and preferred dealership.

Todd
Todd, thanks but ive done that twice. All i recieved was "its normal" and the service bulletin paper.I was even contacted at one point by my Regional aswell, and i received an update and another "its normal" paper. this helped the stalling feel i was getting but the rest is a "oh well". I will say i love my focus even if it has had some issues. And here is a thank you to Ford and the Ford reps i have talked to for helping me so much throughout my troubles. Although the trans is less than desirable, i understand nothing can be done for it mechanically. Now, my dealer on the othet hand... :banghead:
Old 02-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #1007
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFocus2012 View Post
Todd, thanks but ive done that twice. All i recieved was "its normal" and the service bulletin paper.I was even contacted at one point by my Regional aswell, and i received an update and another "its normal" paper. this helped the stalling feel i was getting but the rest is a "oh well". I will say i love my focus even if it has had some issues. And here is a thank you to Ford and the Ford reps i have talked to for helping me so much throughout my troubles. Although the trans is less than desirable, i understand nothing can be done for it mechanically. Now, my dealer on the othet hand... :banghead:
Gotcha! If you'd like to leave dealer feedback, let me know. I'll make sure it's documented for review.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 03-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #1008
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjanracing View Post
... Plus, I'm not embarrassed to drive the Focus on December 7th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster59 View Post
... I will never own a honda or datsun because of that date ...
I thought all that got worked out on August 6th and 9th, and September 2nd of 1945. Why would you be embarrassed about driving a car built by a company that didn't even exist until 1948, and was founded by a man who "openly voiced his admiration of American business practices and way of life", and was even inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame near Detroit?

I'd think the people who have defective DCTs have more cause for embarassment from the grinding noises and bucking motions if anyone else is watching.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #1009
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
I thought all that got worked out on August 6th and 9th, and September 2nd of 1945. Why would you be embarrassed about driving a car built by a company that didn't even exist until 1948, and was founded by a man who "openly voiced his admiration of American business practices and way of life", and was even inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame near Detroit?

I'd think the people who have defective DCTs have more cause for embarassment from the grinding noises and bucking motions if anyone else is watching.
The all new Focus that is in Ford dealerships today was developed in Europe and is now built in five countries -- the U.S., China, Germany, Russia and Thailand. It is sold in 120 markets worldwide

the issue of what country something is made in is a very gray area. Open the hood of anything from cars to computers and you will find an international hodge podge of ingredients.

Very likely there are many japanese components in the computer people type on to complain about Japan.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #1010
cleangone
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 152962
What I Drive: 2012 Focus hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 cleangone Good Standing Member
Hello,

I am brand new to this fabulous thread, and got a lot of great information out of it. I bought a used 2012 Focus SE automatic from a local dealership in Nov and had the starting-off/low-speed shudder almost immediately (but not before buying - that worked out quite nicely for the dealer). A couple months later, it was joined by the grinding/grating noise that sounded like dragging plastic - so much so that I thought I had damaged one of the skirts. But as anyone reading this forum could guess, I had not.

Getting a response from the dealership was next to impossible, as it seemed like anyone associated with the car (salesman, sales manager, the next two guys that did follow-up calls) quit or had been fired when I tried to get back in touch with them. The car had other problems (a window motor broke - what kind of car has a window motor break within 20K miles - I've never had one go bad on me with many cars well into 100K miles) that forced a service repair. I talked to the service desk guy about the shuddering (my description - I had foolishly not researched the problem, foolishly assuming it was my specific car and not a horrendous design flaw) and he gave me the standard crap about it being normal and "learning how to drive the car". When I picked up the car, he said he had taken it for a drive and it was normal. I persisted and was able to schedule a ride with a transmission tech a couple weeks out.

That ride was this morning, so I researched the issue, finding this forum, last night. After reading through a number of posts, I was convinced I had the clutch issue but concerned that I would not get confirmation/agreement based on the previous guy saying the car drove normally. But in the only glimpse of honesty I've seen since I bought the car, the transmission tech said "You have a bad clutch" within the first 20 feet of the drive. We then continued the drive where he noted other times the shuddering occurred and that it was clutch related. I had done a Car Fax (again, foolishly, after I bought the car - never do that - always always always do any deal over two days and do independent carfax away from the dealership - that $29 would have saved me so many headaches), and the car had internal transmission work done at 8K miles (again, what car needs a transmission overhaul at 8K miles - a crap car). I told the transmission guy this during the drive, and he said "Don't know what the problem was, but those guys did a good job. The transmission is good but your clutch is shot."

So the upshot of the situation is the car is in for a new clutch under warranty and I have a hope that I will not have to refer to it as a "piece of sh!t" every single time I drive it. My advice to anyone in a similar position is to persist and find someone who will agree there is an issue (since we all know there is one - what kind of car only drives nicely once someone "learns how to drive it"). Get to the transmission tech, and if that doesn't work, get to another dealership and get to their transmission guy. Someone somewhere will be honest.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->