Your DCT Issues May (I Repeat, May) Be a Failing Passenger Motor Mount - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old Yesterday, 12:12 AM   #1
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Your DCT Issues May (I Repeat, May) Be a Failing Passenger Motor Mount

I had my DCT clutch pack replaced around 30,000 miles for shuddering and hesitation issues. Around 58,000 miles, I was saddened to once again have the same type of intermittent issues, especially when starting on any type of incline.

The dealer said they couldn't reproduce the problem, and the clutches checked out fine. I drove with a tech, and I'll be danged if I couldn't get it to do anything.

By 60,000 miles though, it was near-constant. I really started to pay close attention to it...no radio, no A/C, and I thought it seemed like it was acting up a split-second AFTER the shift - so close it was hardly noticeable.

Since I have a pretty new Electric Focus rear motor mount, I started to suspect the passenger motor mount, especially with the gradual change.

Sure enough, it was leaking, and after replacing it with a new Motorcraft PMM, it is golden. Perfect shifts, no shuddering or hesitation.

So if you swear that you have continuing DCT issues like I did, it wouldn't hurt to check your PMM.

Your miles may vary, of course. It seems to good to be true, but it's the truth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM   #2
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7278 View Post
I had my DCT clutch pack replaced around 30,000 miles for shuddering and hesitation issues. Around 58,000 miles, I was saddened to once again have the same type of intermittent issues, especially when starting on any type of incline.

The dealer said they couldn't reproduce the problem, and the clutches checked out fine. I drove with a tech, and I'll be danged if I couldn't get it to do anything.

By 60,000 miles though, it was near-constant. I really started to pay close attention to it...no radio, no A/C, and I thought it seemed like it was acting up a split-second AFTER the shift - so close it was hardly noticeable.

Since I have a pretty new Electric Focus rear motor mount, I started to suspect the passenger motor mount, especially with the gradual change.

Sure enough, it was leaking, and after replacing it with a new Motorcraft PMM, it is golden. Perfect shifts, no shuddering or hesitation.

So if you swear that you have continuing DCT issues like I did, it wouldn't hurt to check your PMM.

Your miles may vary, of course. It seems to good to be true, but it's the truth.
Always interesting to hear other theories as I have maintained all along that the seals and clutches themselves don't seem to account for every instance of problems people are having. Some other guys have also taken a hard look at the grounding to the TCM/DCT as another possible culprit.

There are days when my focus will idle like a 1978 Harley Davidson with a fouled spark plug and I could never account for why this was. I had suspected a motor mount as well, but I have asked the dealer several times and they did not see anything (though one wonders if they actually look or just blow you off).
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM   #3
falcompsx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108012
What I Drive: 2013 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 falcompsx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7278 View Post

how many miles have you driven since you replaced the PMM?
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #4
scott7278
Focus Addict

Four 35-mile commutes, for 140 total miles. Still good...
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #5
scott7278
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
Always interesting to hear other theories as I have maintained all along that the seals and clutches themselves don't seem to account for every instance of problems people are having. Some other guys have also taken a hard look at the grounding to the TCM/DCT as another possible culprit.

There are days when my focus will idle like a 1978 Harley Davidson with a fouled spark plug and I could never account for why this was. I had suspected a motor mount as well, but I have asked the dealer several times and they did not see anything (though one wonders if they actually look or just blow you off).
Yeah, that was definitely something that showed up in the last few days before replacement...not nearly as bad as you describe, but not every car will present the exact same symptoms.
Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM   #6
scott7278
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post

Stupid question maybe, but is that ground part of the Big 3 that people talk about here?

Bookmarks & Social Networks