2012 Focus - Won't Start - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
hawkdog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85309
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 hawkdog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Focus - Won't Start

First, let me say I have been very happy with my new Focus except for this problem...but it is a biggie and the service dept. I am dealing with has been less than stellar.

Last Friday (1 week ago) I came into work. Being Memorial day weekend AND my birthday, I had planned on only being at work for a couple hours and heading home early. I went out to the car, unlocked it, climbed in, inserted the key, and the car turns on, but doesn't start. The display screen says "NO KEY DETECTED". I try numerous more times to start the car, but no luck.

I called Ford Roadside Assistance and told them about the problem. They said they would get me a tow truck. The tow truck was going to take 2 hours, so I called my wife to bring me the other key to see if it would work. No luck, same "NO KEY DETECTED" message.

Then I get a call from Roadside Assistance telling me I was going to have to pay $50 out of pocket for the tow since I was in a parking garage and they had to bring a low-clearance tow truck. @#$%!!!

So, about 2 1/2 hours later, the tow truck shows up. By this time I had found some co-workers to help me push the car out of the garage so I didn't get shafted for the $50.

Got a tow to my dealership. They say they'll call me that afternoon. I get a call later from the service rep to tell me they didn't have time to get to my car, and they would look at it on Tuesday.

Tuesday comes around, and no call from the service rep. I call him, and he tells me they are still working with Ford Engineers on it, but they think they know what the problem is. He says he will call Wednesday with an update.

No call again on Wednesday, so I call him. He tells me that the problem is the Smart Junction Box and that it needs to be replaced. The problem with that is they don't have any of those just laying around as spare parts, so they're going to have to get one from an assembly line and he says he has no idea how long that will take. He tells me that he should have an update for me by lunch tomorrow.

Thursday rolls around, no call from the service rep AGAIN. I call and leave a message. As of 2 PM today (Friday), he still hasn't returned my call. I just left a message for the service manager. He hasn't returned my call yet either.

I'm a understanding guy, but this is really stretching my limits. Especially since we also bought a 2011 Fiesta at the same time which has also spent a week in the shop due to an electrical short.

Planning on stopping by there on my way home from work today if I don't get a call before I leave to find out what the he|| is going on here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Missourileo
Captain Retard

Fan#: 55980
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT ZX3,93 SVT Lightning

FF Reputation: 20 Missourileo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Did they give you a rental? Sounds like you need to talk to the owner of the dealership, not the GM.
Midwest crew #36
Hatch Nation#50
January 2010 ROTM
Old 06-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
hawkdog
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourileo View Post
Did they give you a rental? Sounds like you need to talk to the owner of the dealership, not the GM.
Yes, they got me a POS Mitsubishi Galant rental from Enterprise.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
me2000
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85106
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
Absolutely ridiculous...the least they can do is return your calls and let you know what's going on!
Old 06-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
hawkdog
Focus Enthusiast

Finally got a hold of someone in the service dept. They have no idea when they will get the replacement part because they are showing as backordered in "the system". The answer was "sometime this month".
Old 06-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
4d4jacklee
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50596
What I Drive: 2013 Black ST1

FF Reputation: 1 4d4jacklee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Man, sounds like keys are a problem. I've had my 2012 for a month now, & its a great little car, with a sweet shifting 5 speed!
When I bought it I was given a plain key with no alarm, trunk release, lock or unlock buttons on it, just a stamped black plastic body & was told that the dealership they had swapped with for my fofo had lost the "other" key, & a new key had been ordered.
I thought "oh well, its an S model, so I guess maybe you don't get the key that has all the functions in it", sort of old school like.
Long story short, took in the new key to be programmed yesterday & it wouldn't program, also the plain black key is apparently a valet key & 2 new keys with function controls have been ordered.
This coming Monday I'm taking my car in & will be given a loaner while they spend Tuesday programming my new keys. Hopefully all will work out well!
My Ford dealer has been very good about the problem & I'm sorry to hear your dealer hasn't. It does the company a lot of good to try & compete for business only to have the dealership shoot them in the can!
Look up this FF member, "FordCustomerService" she is a Ford Customer Service agent in Dearborn. Maybe she can help you with your dealership issues. Good Luck!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Wow. That's terrible customer service.

From what I understand, most dealerships will do just about anything to get glowing reviews from us customers. Evidently your dealership either doesn't care or they have a crappy service manager running the place, or both.

I'd walk into the dealership and ask for a customer satisfaction survey to fill out and see how they suddenly start jumping through hoops. Or go in and ask to borrow one of their phones so you can call Ford customer relations (or whatever they're called). Or just call them yourself from home.

Not having the parts is understandable, and maybe not knowing how to fix the problem for a few days is even tolerable because it is after all a new model. But not returning my calls is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Go get 'em!

Tony
Old 06-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
hawkdog
Focus Enthusiast

My car is still sitting at the dealer. No word on when the part might be here.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
nightridermz3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84944
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ford Focus Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 nightridermz3 Good Standing Member
I have no key holes on my car anywhere so let me tell you how frightened i am if my car wont push start :( so far so good!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
hawkdog
Focus Enthusiast

Well the car has been sitting at the dealership for 2 weeks now. Still no light at the end of the tunnel.

I got Ford Customer Service involved...they gave me the same answer as the dealership. "We are tracking the part and will call you as soon as we know something". Basically nobody has any clue when this part might show up, or where it's even coming from.

I just called the owner of the dealership...he said he'll see what he can find out. I told him I want something done...i.e. give me a different focus off the lot or swap the part off one sitting on the lot...he balked at both proposals.

We'll see what happens next. Currently, the car has been sitting there for 15 days. When it hits 30 I can file a lemon law claim.

Bookmarks & Social Networks