Should I buy a Focus Titanium? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
ItsKyro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 202721
What I Drive: 2011 Jeep Patriot

Points 122, Level 2
Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 ItsKyro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Should I buy a Focus Titanium?

Hey everyone. So ive got a good new job and its finally time for a new car. I want a car that has great gas mileage that also comes decked out as possible, nav, backup camera, leather, etc.

The cars I'm currently looking at are the:
focus titanium
Dart gt
cruze rs
civic

What separates the focus from the rest?
When will the 2015 be released?
Whats the actual mpg it gets combined?
How is it in the snow with factory tires?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,976, Level 71
Points: 11,976, Level: 71 Points: 11,976, Level: 71 Points: 11,976, Level: 71
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Moved to the MkIII section.

Purchasing center is better for transaction details than info. on the car.

S.R. #275
Old 11-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
CFHGARZA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 175833
What I Drive: '13 SGM Ti Hatch

Points 202, Level 4
Points: 202, Level: 4 Points: 202, Level: 4 Points: 202, Level: 4
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 CFHGARZA Good Standing Member
Well I love my Ti. Civics are probably more reliable being a Honda. Haven't looked at the Chevy, they are ugly and its an awful company morally(ignition fiasco). Almost got a Dart but went with the Focus. Love the hatch and I think it's a better looking car.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Heartofgold
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 157730
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Ford Focus Titanium

Points 82, Level 1
Points: 82, Level: 1 Points: 82, Level: 1 Points: 82, Level: 1
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Heartofgold Good Standing Member
I have 2013 Titanium sedan. Fully loaded. Love it. Over 26,000 Kilometres and no problems with it.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 11,785, Level 71
Points: 11,785, Level: 71 Points: 11,785, Level: 71 Points: 11,785, Level: 71
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Besides having features not available on your other car choices, if you love to drive, the Focus is the drivers car.

The 2015 Focus is schedule to start production December 08, so I would expect the new Focus to get to dealerships sometime in January/February 2015.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
gatzdon
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 117065
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium

Points 80, Level 1
Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 gatzdon Good Standing Member
I have a 2013 Titanium Hatchback and well, I may not exactly regret my purchase, but I'm definitely not satisfied.

Biggest letdown is the performance and failed promises for the MyFord Touch system. It's slow and clunky, to the point of being a distraction when trying to do something as simple as make a phone call or switch radio stations. Ford never delivered on any of the so called Applink promises. I can't connect more than 1 phone at a time. It takes forever to get an address into the navigation, either manually (must be stopped) or through sync services. It can't keep track of the time (have to manually set clock every daylight savings or whenever Myford Touch decides it wants to be an hour off).

I don't have as much of an issue as others with this, but read the threads on the Automatic Transmission Stuttering and Clutch issues (essentially, it's a manual transmission with an automated clutch/gear shifter).

Mileage isn't what I was expecting. I average just under 25 mpg commuting to/from work. I'm lucky to average 30+ on a long highway trip.

Basics things like the trip computer were a little strange, like it resets itself around every 2,000 miles.

You cannot add extra keys yourself. If you buy the extra keys from the dealer, expect to pay almost $200 a key.

Cupholders don't like anything that isn't smooth plastic (they grab and hold onto Styrofoam cups).

Don't let everything about this car be a negative though. There is a sticky thread in this forum with posts highlighting things that people love about their Focus.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,213, Level 41
Points: 4,213, Level: 41 Points: 4,213, Level: 41 Points: 4,213, Level: 41
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatzdon View Post
Biggest letdown is the performance and failed promises for the MyFord Touch system. It's slow and clunky, to the point of being a distraction when trying to do something as simple as make a phone call or switch radio stations.
That's odd... That hasn't been my experience at all.

For example, if I want to call someone, I wait for the chime and say "Call John Smith". It works *very* reliably.

If I want to change the radio station, I can say "AM ten seventy" and voila...
Old 11-16-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
MattE_Sales
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119191
What I Drive: 2014 White Platinum HB Titanium

Points 24, Level 1
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 MattE_Sales Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatzdon View Post
Biggest letdown is the performance and failed promises for the MyFord Touch system. It's slow and clunky, to the point of being a distraction when trying to do something as simple as make a phone call or switch radio stations. Ford never delivered on any of the so called Applink promises. I can't connect more than 1 phone at a time. It takes forever to get an address into the navigation, either manually (must be stopped) or through sync services. It can't keep track of the time (have to manually set clock every daylight savings or whenever Myford Touch decides it wants to be an hour off).
Sounds like you're running an older version of MFT, there was one that had time shifting issues.

Why would you want to have more than one phone connected at a time? I'm not aware of any in-car BT system that allows this. How would the system know which phone you wanted to make an outgoing call with? I suppose the primary would be the default. Why can't the passenger just use their phone without handsfree? The feature is there to keep the driver's hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

I may be biased, as I work at a Ford dealer, but I just bought my second Focus Titanium after the last one was wrote off. If transmission and MFT issues were as prevalent as some suggest I would have bought something else.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
gatzdon
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 117065
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium

Points 80, Level 1
Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 gatzdon Good Standing Member
I am on 3.6.2. While I don't believe the consensus that there won't be anymore updates, that is the latest version for my Focus.

As for the Bluetooth, here is a page from Bose about setting up Bluetooth with an active connection to two phones.
http://worldwide.bose.com/productsup...eadset_series1

I used to use a Jabra Bluetooth Speakerphone that broadcast on an FM frequency. It was nice. Yes, all calls went out on the primary phone, but it would allow all incoming calls to be answered.

For one brief period, I had multiple active Bluetooth connections working on my 2012 Ford Explorer and it worked beautifully. Then the next update took that away.

Two common scenarios that benefit from multiple active Bluetooth connections:
Husband and Wife driving in the car at the same time. Husband and Wife have separate phones. Having an incoming call come in on either phone during a long road trip is not uncommon. Currently, the driver has to tell people to hang up and call back on the other phone or call them back from the phone that is connected to the Bluetooth.

Another scenario becoming more common in the middle class is having both a personal and a company issued phone. Same problem, only one paired at a time.

As for the slow clunky interface, for some, a second is not much, especially if they are just changing the radio station to another preset. But if you are trying to connect to a Bluetooth Audio stream for an audio book or music, don't count on getting that going in less than 3 clicks and 5 to 10 seconds delay. That's if I don't have to stop, turn the car off, open/close the door, and restart the car in order to get the Bluetooth working again.

It is a common occurrence when trying to send an address to the vehicle via Sync Services that the car (or Sync Services?) can't understand the simple "Yes". Not to mention sync can only be associated with a single cell phone number. My wife cannot use sync services to send an address to the car because it's setup with my phone number. I find it hard to believe that Ford doesn't think Husband/Wife should share the same vehicle. Even better, I have two ford vehicles (12 Explorer Limited and 13 Focus Titanium), but can still only have one cell phone use Sync Services.

In Ford's defense, I do want to add something that a lot of people don't understand. They complain that cell phones see major improvements on an annual basis, but the MFT is built on outdated technology. Think about this. NASA continues to use 30 year old technology in their space probes. When something doesn't work, they can't just send it in for a warranty exchange. Well Ford isn't quite 30 year old technology, but rather it is more like 10 year old technology. Same analogy, they can't just ask customers to mail in their MFT for a warranty replacement. They stick with slightly older technology with the hopeful trade off in reliability. This puts Ford in the sticky predicament that they have to figure out how to make 10 year old MFT technology work with 6 month old cell phone technology. It's not an easy feat to pull off. Ford may have failed somewhat on the port of Microsoft Auto 4.0 to the MyFord Touch Hardware, but the cards were stacked against them. I don't fault them for not having crystal balls, but that doesn't change the fact that currently MyFord Touch is not a good value.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
ItsKyro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 202721
What I Drive: 2011 Jeep Patriot

Points 122, Level 2
Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 ItsKyro Good Standing Member
Can anyone else chime in on what you are getting gas wise?

Id really like to hear if anyone is getting 30 mpg combined...because that's what i'm needing from my next car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.