2012 Focus HID - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #21
Tony407
Focus Addict
 
Tony407's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85289
Location: Portland, OR
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

Posts: 647
FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticbluebmw View Post
Apparently, my point stands.

Enjoy your ride!
Actually, I was encouraging you to respond and defend your point, which you did not do.

Your point has sat down.

Tony
Tony407 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #22
Titanium69
Focus Rookie
 
Titanium69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85357
Location: Detroit, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium

Posts: 21
FF Reputation: 1 Titanium69 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
FYI dipped beam, is basically low beam, and for the haters on HIDs in reflectors I had HIDs in my cavalier for like 4 years till I got projectors.. It's called adjusting your lights as Tony said.. Only reason I got the projectors was for the halos and LEDs.. I've had HIDs on my R6 for around 4 years also.. No blinding unless the high beams are on...

But if anyone finds out how to run them I'm desperate for getting my low beams and fog lights done the car would look drop dead sexy. It's gunna be awhile before we can purchase projectors for them from Europe and ST doesn't come out for awhile also. Not to mention once you go HIDs it's hard to go back, and Yes they are brighter and to me make your vision hi definition I don't know what your smoking if you think otherwise but pass it this way.
Titanium69 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #23
Skippy905
Focus Enthusiast
 
Skippy905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84128
Location: Niagara Falls, Canada
What I Drive: 2006 Honda Pilot

Posts: 283
FF Reputation: 2 Skippy905 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
OK, this whole HID thing has been beaten to death, but I am going to add this.

First, as I have posted before, HID's in reflectors are illegal, plain and simple. You can argue all you want, but ask anyone in law enforcement, they are illegal. Doesn't mean that you will get pulled over for it, but just to let you know.

Second, changing the aiming on your reflectors so that you don't blind other drivers is nice, but completely defeats the purpose of HID's in the first place.
HID's need projectors to give a cut off of the beam at the top (to stop from blinding people). Aiming the HID's down so that they don't blind people only limits the distance your headlights actually work to, thus defeating the purpose of having true HID's. Now you are simply doing it for the look, and not the benefits (which can be fine, but it is still illegal).

Either way, they don't really belong in a car without projectors.
Skippy905 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #24
Stereodude
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85623
Location: Detroit Area, MI
What I Drive: 02 Maxima SE

Posts: 111
FF Reputation: 2 Stereodude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
I go to great lengths to ensure other drivers aren't blinded by my headlights. So far the kits I've purchased have been just fine once I properly aim the beams. Every kit I've installed has required the beam height to be adjusted vs. the OEM bulbs. Perhaps it's this fact (and not the HID kit themselves) that makes them so controversial. Maybe people either aren't bothering to re-aim them, or when they do they're aimed too high?
So, why are there zero DOT approved designs like you have? You can't control the scatter of the beam by aiming them. Projectors (with D2S bulbs) and proper reflectors (with D2R bulbs) have a controlled output so they don't have scatter above a cutoff line.
Stereodude is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #25
mysticbluebmw
Focus Enthusiast
 
mysticbluebmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85252
Location: Triangle, NC
What I Drive: 2013 Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi

Posts: 519
FF Reputation: 1 mysticbluebmw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
Actually, I was encouraging you to respond and defend your point, which you did not do.

Your point has sat down.

Tony
No, I believe you misunderstood my point.

My comments would only fuel your desire to respond in kind, and not objectively listen to what others have to say on the subject. We won't change your mind, I know that, so I won't try.

^^^My point^^^

Therefore, I won't discuss aftermarket HIDs any further.
mysticbluebmw is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #26
Spartan12
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85167
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium

Posts: 64
FF Reputation: 1 Spartan12 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
There's only a few cars I can think of that use reflectors with HID's in the states...

2nd Generation Acura TL
Most recent Toyota Avalon
Last Generation Mercury Montego/Sable

At any rate, those reflectors were designed with HIDs in mind, so they're effective. Our headlamps were designed for Halogens, so HIDs in the '12 Focus housing is a no-no.

Just do what I plan on doing, wait for the stock projectors to hit the market and do it right. Otherwise, you're just pissin' off drivers.
__________________
'12 Ford Focus Titanium Hatch
'10 Infiniti G37S 6MT Coupe
'08 Ford Explorer Ironman 4.6L V8
Spartan12 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #27
Stereodude
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85623
Location: Detroit Area, MI
What I Drive: 02 Maxima SE

Posts: 111
FF Reputation: 2 Stereodude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan12 View Post
There's only a few cars I can think of that use reflectors with HID's in the states...
The 2002-2003 Nissan Maxima came stock with reflectors + D2R's. I think the Infiniti I30/I35 did also in the same time frame.
Stereodude is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:22 AM   #28
Tony407
Focus Addict
 
Tony407's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85289
Location: Portland, OR
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

Posts: 647
FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
So, why are there zero DOT approved designs like you have? You can't control the scatter of the beam by aiming them. Projectors (with D2S bulbs) and proper reflectors (with D2R bulbs) have a controlled output so they don't have scatter above a cutoff line.
For the same reason a lot of popular aftermarket car mods aren't DOT approved I suppose.

Regardless, I've seen my own car being driven towards me at night at various angles, distances, and with and without other traffic. Not an issue at all, despite the controversy.

What I find that bothers my eyes is certain models of BMWs and other German cars with OEM HIDs. In my opinion, and many others I've talked to, these headlights are among the worst out there in terms of blinding oncoming traffic. And they're OEM and DOT approved, with projectors I might add.

Tony
Tony407 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:17 AM   #29
15inthefastlane
Focus Enthusiast
 
15inthefastlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 84530
Location: Las Cruces, NM
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium Hatch

Posts: 84
FF Reputation: 1 15inthefastlane Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
What are "very headlights?"

Tony
Whoops, "decent" headlights, is what I meant, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
The 2002-2003 Nissan Maxima came stock with reflectors + D2R's. I think the Infiniti I30/I35 did also in the same time frame.
There are a few cars that had very specifically designed reflector housings meant for HIDs. The Focus definitely does not have these. And they weren't especially effective anyway, hence why you never see them anymore.

I hold to my opinion. If you have drop-in HIDs, your car is a public danger and general nuisance. Law enforcement agrees. Not to mention, it looks cheap as hell, and makes people like me point and laugh.
__________________
Sterling Grey 2012 Hatchback Titanium with all factory-installed options born 4/27, MFT 2.11 (usb install), transmission updated 1/12/11
Protected by Escort 9500ix with Live! for Android
15inthefastlane is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:08 AM   #30
Tony407
Focus Addict
 
Tony407's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85289
Location: Portland, OR
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

Posts: 647
FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15inthefastlane View Post
I hold to my opinion. If you have drop-in HIDs, your car is a public danger and general nuisance. Law enforcement agrees. Not to mention, it looks cheap as hell, and makes people like me point and laugh.
Can't comment on other HID users, but all mine have been just fine in terms of (not) endangering others. And they don't look very different than really white, bright halogens. In fact, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference other than the crisper output. 5000K is what I seem to prefer in my cars.

Ex law enforcement here. 13 years full-time patrol. Never pulled anyone over for aftermarket HIDS, nor have I ever seen it happen, with the exception of blue or purple light (8000K or above usually). I've seen many cases where people have installed aftermarket projector-type headlight housings that didn't put out enough light to properly illuminate the road, and those lights in my opinion are just as dangerous as any improperly aimed headlight that blinds others, HID or not.

So far I haven't head a single person question or comment on my tactic of having a friend drive my car towards me at night so I can see my own headlights for myself, or follow behind me so I can see them in my mirrors. I have pretty sensitive eyes, and again, they don't look any different to me than many of the other cars on the road with OEM HIDs, or ones with really bright halogens. This seems to be skipped over by all the HID-haters who seem very comfortable stereotyping me and my lights as being the scourge of highways.

And I forget who mentioned this, since it is a valid argument, but when I aim my headlights down far enough not to bother other drivers I can see just fine. Having aftermarket HIDs has very little to do with wanting the "look" and very much to do with being able to illuminate as much as possible down the road (deer, pedestrians, bicyclists, you name it), with the obvious exception of blinding others.

Again, and I can't overstate this enough, I value the safety and comfort of other drivers on the road and I think I do a pretty good job of being sensitive and considerate about it. My grandfather taught me how to drive and instilled the spirit of "don't drive in a way that makes someone else do something they wouldn't have done if you weren't there" in me. Thus the reason why I get upset when I'm the target of stereotyping. His words are still in my head to this day and I take them very seriously.

How many of you HID neigh sayers have actually had aftermarket HIDs in their cars? What were your experiences like? What evidence do you have that properly built and adjusted HID kits are all a "public danger and general nuisance"? And what evidence do you have that all halogen housings aren't fit for these sorts of kits? Because both my truck and Mustang have well-defined cut-off lines, and both have halogen housings with "crappy $100 HID kits" in them. In fact, the 2009 CTS-V I just sold had OEM projector HIDs and they completely lacked the trademark well-defined lines. Hmmmm...something must be wrong! Halogens with aftermarket HID kits with well-defined lines and OEM projector HIDs without them? By George, I think this might be a reminder of how dangerous stereotyping can be, even if we are only talking about aftermarket HID kits.

Tony
Tony407 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.