Remote start and push button start - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #41
ksearcy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92627
What I Drive: 2012 metalic sterling gray sel

FF Reputation: 1 ksearcy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Remote Start - SEL Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnfizz View Post
I ordered the remote start system on my 2012 SEL 303a Kona Blue Metallic expecting it to come factory installed but my salesman and I both were surprised when it turned out to be a "Dealer Installed" option and adds a separate key fob with one button on it. My dealers install guy had to wait on an installation wiring harness to come in specific to the 2012 model so it was a week after delivery I had to take it back to the dealer for installation. The system works ok but then I found the next day that after a remote start as you approach the car to unlock the doors the engine shuts down. That made no sense at all! I took it back to the dealer and they disabled the door ajar function on the remote start interface and now I can unlock the doors with out a shut down. If you step on the brake getting in before the key is turned to the II position the engine will shut down. The antenna for the system is a 1 1/4 X 1 in. x 1/4 in. block with 2 1/2 in antenna extending from two sides. It was installed to the interior windshield to the right of the rearview mirror, out of sight to the driver but I am sure it will be an obstruction to window cleaning.
Count your blessings, they installed my antenna on the driver's side of the mirror. I just recently noticed that if I remote start the car and don't get out there before the car shuts off, the car does shut off but the radio does not. I havn't checked yet to see if the radio will eventually shut off or keep playing till the battery goes dead.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #42
merruse
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89251
What I Drive: 2012 Ink Blue Style

FF Reputation: 3 merruse Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
The instrument cluster remembers key IDs. As far as the instrument cluster goes, it considers a remote start fob as a key.
Just for info,
BCM (Body Control module(which is located under the glove box)) is storing key ID's on 2012 focus . KEY ID's are not storing at instrument cluster anymore.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #43
bdnld4482
Banned

Fan#: 46063
What I Drive: 2012 black focus titanium

FF Reputation: 37 bdnld4482 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My remote start works fine from the day I bought it. Push the button, it honks stating it received the camand, honks again after it starts, engin turns off after I push the brake pedal down to put in gear. Now the last part sucks. I should be able to just get in the car and drive away without having to restart the car. Also does anybody know how to adjust the time duration the car stays on? My car turns off the moment the glow plugs get warm I would like it to stay running for 20 min then shut off.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #44
razzerx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86590
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Silver Focus Ti

Points 95, Level 1
Points: 95, Level: 1 Points: 95, Level: 1 Points: 95, Level: 1
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 razzerx Good Standing Member
I just removed my Ford remote start and replaced it with a real one. Now I can start it get in and drive away without restarting it.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #45
bdnld4482
Banned

Fan#: 46063
What I Drive: 2012 black focus titanium

FF Reputation: 37 bdnld4482 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Really?? What one did you buy, I must know.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #46
razzerx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86590
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Silver Focus Ti

Points 95, Level 1
Points: 95, Level: 1 Points: 95, Level: 1 Points: 95, Level: 1
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 razzerx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnld4482 View Post
Really?? What one did you buy, I must know.
Any DEI remote start will work. The bypass you need is made by iDatalink. You can also use Flashlogic.Flashlogic is made by iDatalink)

Old 07-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #47
socalrider66
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101022
What I Drive: 2012, Silver SEL

Points 11, Level 1
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 socalrider66 Good Standing Member
Remote start

I don't have the push button start on my SEL, but I do have a remote start system installed and it works great. It was a dealer add-on so my car was sent out to the local shop they use, and it was back on the same day. The remote system used is called Avital, however I can't remember which model. The system does come with its own key fob, but its small so I don't mind. Simply push the lock button twice, start button twice, and the car responds it has received the signal by blinking its lights, then starts right up. I can unlock the doors and open them without the car turning off, and I can set the run time to to different times before it turns itself off. When I am ready to go, simply put the key in the ignition and turn it to on. If I step on the brake or gas pedal, or try and put it in gear without the key in the ignition, it turns off. The antenna for the system is small, and is installed behind the rear view mirror and is out of sight. Just thought I would share my success for those that read this and don't have the push button start.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #48
wantz12
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89237
What I Drive: 2012 White FF Hatch

Points 2,610, Level 31
Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 wantz12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
My remote start doesn't work at all. Every time I try it the alarm (honking horn) goes off.

Another forum member says that no matter what he does when you try and "start" the car once you've started it with the remote start, the engine stops when you put your foot on the brake. Evidently when he pushes the button it kills the engine too. Then you have to re-start it in order to drive way.

My Cadillac had remote start and push-button. All you had to do was push the button and you were good.

My F150 also has remote start. If you step on the brake the engine dies. However, if you put your key in the ignition and turn it you're good to go.

I have an appointment on Tuesday to have the remote start looked at. Assuming they fix it, I'm still not happy with having to start it (remotely), then shut it off, then start it again before driving away. That's pretty messed up. Especially when you consider how long the MFT takes to get going, and the extra battery power it takes to crank the car over, etc.

Tony
I realizes this is a bit late, but my GF has remote start on her fiesta and this is how it works. If you step on the brake, the car turns off. I believe you always have to restart the car in order to get it to work. Stupid...yes...but it's supposed to prevent your car from being stolen. Not sure how...but that's what the dealer said.
HN #167
Old 09-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #49
jansein
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104245
What I Drive: Ford Escape 2013

FF Reputation: 1 jansein Good Standing Member
Buying remote start system is like giving your car to car robbers. Remote start systems are quite the practical thing to have, but there's something which should give owners pause. Remote start systems are vulnerable to hacking and are evidently much easier to get into than some people realize.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #50
MrMyth
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106845
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus

Points 21, Level 1
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 MrMyth Good Standing Member
Would like to bump this thread to give some info on how the base 2013 Titanium behaves.
I too had the issue where as soon as I tried to put the car in gear it would die. I found the thread here about the dealer installed version, but that doesn't appear to apply to the 2013s. I was getting annoyed with the design to the point that I was considering taking the car and going for a lower model.
Today I remote started the car because there was frost on the windshield. Since I had already given up on the system I didn't think much about it when I go in and pushed the start button like normal. I was halfway through my drive before I realized what had happened. I tested it again once I got to my destination and sure enough, pushing the start button before getting into gear won't kill the engine. (you of course have to have the IA key with you in the car. it still dies otherwise.) Pushing the start button after its been remote started is like switching over to your IA key from the system key - all the accessories turn on like normal and the engine doesn't try to crank again.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.