Need New Speakers for SVTF - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
JeepXJ
Focus Addict

Fan#: 48404
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 2 JeepXJ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Need New Speakers for SVTF

I drive an 03 svtf and my 2 front door speakers have gone and died on me. I'm looking at some Infinity replacements and I'd like to ask a couple questions.
Will it be OK to replace just the 2 fronts, or do I need to do all 4 of them? I'm also considering taking out the factory 8" sub in favor of something else but I don't really want to pay for a new amp so something similar to the factory one in power and size, what are some decent subs of this nature?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Tundrafoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96605
What I Drive: 2003 light tundra ZTS

FF Reputation: 5 Tundrafoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Yes you can just replace the fronts! good choice on Infinity's as well. Thats what i have right now kappa 6x8s in the front reference series 6x8s in the back. sound amazing. i would suggest the refrenece series if you don't plan on putting an amp in. Make sure to buy the connectors so you can just plug them unless you want to cut out the old plugs and solder or crimp the new speakers in.
Sub wise i've heard you can mount a shallow 10" in the factory enclosure with some modification. unfortunately the thread's (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=40104 )first post has been removed so you'll have to do some digging and asking around on how to do that
Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
JeepXJ
Focus Addict

Nice, the references are cheaper! I'd have gotten the kappas and never known about needing to add an amp lol. I don't really want to modify the sub enclosure, I've run across that forum before. Honestly I'm not looking for thunder in the trunk, just something slightly better than stock which I don't feel is all that bad honestly. Connectors you say...going to google those now.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
JeepXJ
Focus Addict

JBL Sub
This one's cheaper than I'd expected to find and has pretty good reviews. Can I just compare the dimensions of a sub to the stocker as well as the watts? I'm willing to pay more than that one costs but shoot if I don't have to spend a small fortune then I won't :)
Gotta love crutchfield. OK, so I see that they sell "shallow mount" and without knowing exactly the size of the stock box/sub I do think I remember it being pretty slim, they have 3 on crutchfield for sub $200 (sub pun intended)
The detailed info on these may as well be written in Sanskrit since I don't know what any of it means.
Pioneer TS-SW841D
Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW800F
Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8

Last edited by JeepXJ; 03-21-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 03-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Tundrafoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96605
What I Drive: 2003 light tundra ZTS

FF Reputation: 5 Tundrafoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I really don't know about the sub. I'm in the process of building my own custom box to fit into my trunk. But def go with reference they sound amazing at least when I had them hooked up to my fh-p8000bt. I believe there is threads on hear about which subs that fit but you have search. I'm about to take a final so if you haven't found them I'll take a look. I've been lurking this forum forever....not many posts though haha. O and everything is waaaay cheaper on sonicelectronix.com...crutchfield is good if you like their convenience charge. But go with what you trust.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
JeepXJ
Focus Addict

I've been reading that not a lot of people like the shallow subs, especially the pioneer. I also dont know if I need an 8 or 4 ohm sub, but it seems most people think it's 4. The sub can wait until I get some solid info on what fits the stock box but my fronts are going to get swapped very soon.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
adam6976
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108265
What I Drive: 2002 white se

FF Reputation: 1 adam6976 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
JL audio makes shallow mount subs an infinitys are nice I myself like bostons .
Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
JeepXJ
Focus Addict

Crutchfield is cheaper on the infinities than sonicelectronix. The ones at sonic do come with a sound dampening kit but meh, idc about that.

Has anyone got experience with these?
Infinity Reference X REF-8602cfx

I'll buy them in the next day or so once I check the depth of the mounting spots in the door to make sure they'll fit.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #9
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
It all depends if you like a smooth tweeter or a really bright tweeter. If you are going to listen to music for externded periods, do not buy Infinity. Infinity also runs most all of their speakers at 2 or 3 ohms which is why they get so loud(which does not equate to better). But it is up to you in the end. The door can fit up to a speaker depth of 2-3/4" with ease. Polk and Boston are good speaker in a lower price range

Shallow subs tend to operate in smaller enclosures and tighter spaces. If you are using an aftermaket amp to power the sub, run at 4 ohms. It is the way to go.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
JeepXJ
Focus Addict

What's a good choice for clear over just loud? I don't play it really loud but sometimes it goes kinda high. I absolutely prefer sound quality over just being loud. I do not have an aftermarket amp and want to keep the factory one, just looking to swap out the sub.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->