Would you buy a FORD FOCUS DIESEL? - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Would you buy a FORD FOCUS DIESEL with 50 MPG at $25,000
YES 92 68.15%
NO 20 14.81%
Maybe 23 17.04%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2012, 05:54 AM   #61
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
So Ford, it looks like 2/3 of the people out there, or at least 1/3 would consider a diesel option. The only thing that would hold them back is price. The only thing that would hold you back is mechanic training.

Due to the way that ethanol blend gasoline breaks down in a short period, perhaps you should consider a diesel plug-in hybrid. It's either that or plug-in hybrids will soon have a bad name for engine problems as a result of years of operation with separated gasoline. It's time to be the first in something again Ford. It's not like we don't know that don't have this technology already: Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #62
Nintendo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98543
What I Drive: 2000 Sedan SE Zetec

FF Reputation: 2 Nintendo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
In theory yes.

But here in Canada disesel in not available everywhere.
And the diesel cars cost more. Im not paying $30,000 for a diesel Focus (or any Focus), so it would have to be low in price or at least comparable to the gasoline version. Say the diesel is a $5,000-10k trim option (I have no idea), or costs X more, well that better pay for itself within a few years with reasonable driving per year.

Focus to me is just A-B transportation so if its cheap and makes economic sense then yes, I dont care if the engine chatters or whatever. (And it has to start in the cold here.)
Old 07-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #63
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If i bought a diesel, I think i would prefer a Fiesta. Its smaller, lighter, and wouldnt be as gimped as the focus would be. A 1.4 or 1.6 turbo diesel in a Fiesta would keep the fun, but double/triple the mileage.

I mean after all. If i had a diesel, It would be my commuter car, so i would look for something small, simple and cheap. I would still have a weekend car for fun.

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews
Old 07-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #64
Nintendo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98543
What I Drive: 2000 Sedan SE Zetec

FF Reputation: 2 Nintendo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperThreat View Post
If i bought a diesel, I think i would prefer a Fiesta. Its smaller, lighter, and wouldnt be as gimped as the focus would be. A 1.4 or 1.6 turbo diesel in a Fiesta would keep the fun, but double/triple the mileage.

I mean after all. If i had a diesel, It would be my commuter car, so i would look for something small, simple and cheap. I would still have a weekend car for fun.
+1, Im really liking the Fiesta its a really nice little car...something small, simple and cheap, thats what Id like.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #65
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
I'd totally buy a Fiesta Diesel with something like a 1.4L turbo i4 and a 6-speed. That would be an excellent commuter car.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 07-14-2012, 03:31 AM   #66
G-Man's SVTF
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100864
What I Drive: 03 black EAP SVTF, 06 blue ST

FF Reputation: 1 G-Man's SVTF Good Standing Member
I agree Nintendo. Just avoid truck stops when you fill up.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:54 AM   #67
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
I'd have to look carefully at the price premium over the comparably equipped gas car. The VW TDI is like a $2,200 premium. Also the EPA combined ratings of the two and the current premium for diesel (it's like 40 cents now). As long as I wasn't too much worse off with the diesel after 5 years I'd jump on it just for the torque. Otherwise I'll stick with gas thank you very much. Man I sound like an old man. I'm not though...
Old 07-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #68
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cost for 300 miles at 30 mpg gas, and diesel at 40 mpg. I have heard of light footed TDI engines getting better than 40, but we'll go with these figures for demonstration.

US current gasoline and Diesel prices

Current prices by State/City

Ok, so let's go with the national average as of 7/09/12

Regular gasoline: 3.41
Diesel Fuel: 3.68

300 mi on 10 gal gasoline = 34.10
300 mi on 7.5 gal diesel = 27.60

Let's look at current prices vs 20k miles- average mileage per year

20k@ 30 mpg= 666.67 gal = $2273.33
20k@ 40 mpg= 500 gal = $1840

Per year at only 40 mpg compared to 30 mpg regular gasoline= $400 difference, so yeah, at that rate you'd have to own the vehicle for 5 years before you'd recoup your price difference. That's probably correct due to the volatility of diesel prices vs gasoline, and the lower the price difference becomes, the lower your savings become.

I don't know many gasoline cars that actually get better than a 30 mpg average per year, and I'd be curious if diesels could do more than 40 mpg per year. I do hear some crazy stuff from TDI owners- like 50+ mpg, and in car magazine tests where the pedal is either floored or the car is not on, TDIs got more than 30 when gasoline engines were rarely over 25.

That being said. I think Mazda is on the right track for fuel cost with their SkyActiv engines. I've heard near diesel mileage from those hi compression 5 strokers- and that's without GDI. I wonder if GDI would do better, but I'm sure Mazda is either saving that, or it can't be done that way.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #69
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
I would never buy a diesel.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #70
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Cost for 300 miles at 30 mpg gas, and diesel at 40 mpg. I have heard of light footed TDI engines getting better than 40, but we'll go with these figures for demonstration.

US current gasoline and Diesel prices

Current prices by State/City

Ok, so let's go with the national average as of 7/09/12

Regular gasoline: 3.41
Diesel Fuel: 3.68

300 mi on 10 gal gasoline = 34.10
300 mi on 7.5 gal diesel = 27.60

Let's look at current prices vs 20k miles- average mileage per year

20k@ 30 mpg= 666.67 gal = $2273.33
20k@ 40 mpg= 500 gal = $1840

Per year at only 40 mpg compared to 30 mpg regular gasoline= $400 difference, so yeah, at that rate you'd have to own the vehicle for 5 years before you'd recoup your price difference. That's probably correct due to the volatility of diesel prices vs gasoline, and the lower the price difference becomes, the lower your savings become.

I don't know many gasoline cars that actually get better than a 30 mpg average per year, and I'd be curious if diesels could do more than 40 mpg per year. I do hear some crazy stuff from TDI owners- like 50+ mpg, and in car magazine tests where the pedal is either floored or the car is not on, TDIs got more than 30 when gasoline engines were rarely over 25.

That being said. I think Mazda is on the right track for fuel cost with their SkyActiv engines. I've heard near diesel mileage from those hi compression 5 strokers- and that's without GDI. I wonder if GDI would do better, but I'm sure Mazda is either saving that, or it can't be done that way.
I have a friend in the Aurora, IL area where diesel is, at the moment, 10c cheaper per gallon than regular 87. He's definitely recouping any losses he may have had over purchasing the regular petrol version of his Golf. Plus, I'm sure he's enjoying his Audi-quality interior.

Ideally, I'd rather see a lot of investment in fuel-cell cars. There's still only one or two with EXTREMELY limited availability in the USA (Merc has one, so does Honda). That's the future right there. I say tiny fuel cell econobox for the weekdays... 6-litre V12 monstrosity for making a joyful sound on Sunday!
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->