Would you buy a FORD FOCUS DIESEL? - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Would you buy a FORD FOCUS DIESEL with 50 MPG at $25,000
YES 93 67.88%
NO 20 14.60%
Maybe 24 17.52%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #51
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,598, Level 98
Points: 27,598, Level: 98 Points: 27,598, Level: 98 Points: 27,598, Level: 98
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Can I add a big HELL YES!!!

I'm so sick of all our domestics being anti diesel. Instead we have to come up with this highly complicated hybrid system that is going to prevent DIY in the future. In fact, I've come to believe that no manufacturer is interested in anyone working on their own vehicle, and they are moving towards making it completely impossible. We'll see how that plays out if no programmers ever surface for the new Foci. Ford already makes it horribly difficult by changing engine and transmission housing patterns regularly so that nothing bolts up unless you do a ton of research. This is nothing new for them, and it might take me back to GM again- if they ever get their act together. The lack of a small 4 cyl turbo diesel is making me seriously lean towards VW- especially now that there is a plant here in TN, although I don't really want that big of a car. Another thing that's making me lean towards them: you can get a high trim level without being stuck with no transmission choices. I swear the first domestic 4 cyl turbo diesel that comes out will be my next auto purchase- unless I already have a VW.

I think I've written about this several times on here, but here's another link (PNGV)to piss everyone off at domestic manufacturers who allowed Toyota to take over the hybrid market, and hybrid technology instead of using the results from experiments that TAXPAYERS gave them money for. Apparently being an American manufacturer means being stuck in your ways and never looking towards the future- it's all me me me now now now, give me tax breaks or I'll cut jobs blah blah blah.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #52
Supernaut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85958
What I Drive: '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

FF Reputation: 1 Supernaut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I was much more a diesel enthusiast until I saw the mpg achievements of gas powered cars of late.
I test drove a 2009 Jetta TDI over a year ago and thought it was the bee's knees. I thought it was very refined and amazed by 60mpg (50mpg us). The price was a bit of a turn off and living in a place where the temperature can drop below -30 degrees for several weeks a year I was somewhat leery about the cold start potential.

Flash forward to when I'm actually ready to purchase a car in 2011. I learn the Hyundai Elantra is rated for 58mpg! (48mpg us). Running on gas, way cheaper to purchase and without the worry about the cold start. Other cars like the 2012 focus were not far behind. It seemed then that only a great fool would buy that diesel Jetta which doesn't really seem to bear an advantage whatsoever anymore. What slight fuel economy advantage the jetta may have you could never make back on the purchase price.

I don't know if the diesels are encumbered by emissions standards or if gas engine technology just advanced at lot faster as of late. In any case I'll be as happy as a pig in...mud, when I finally receive my 2012 5-speed SEL

To the original question, would I buy a diesel Focus? Only if it clearly showed a cost savings and traditional die hard diesel durability.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #53
SydneyRoo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86671
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Blue Candy

Points 1,434, Level 21
Points: 1,434, Level: 21 Points: 1,434, Level: 21 Points: 1,434, Level: 21
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 SydneyRoo Good Standing Member
yes yes yes yes yes!... I'd trade in my new Ti instantly if I could have my car (or the new Vertrek/Escape) with a 4 cyl diesel. I could pull 50 mpg easy. Can't do that with my car :/
Old 08-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #54
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

Points 10,823, Level 68
Points: 10,823, Level: 68 Points: 10,823, Level: 68 Points: 10,823, Level: 68
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I would love a turbo diesel Focus, 160hp, and 220ft/lbs torque?? Easily make it really quick, and still get 40+ mpg, yes please.

Diesels last WAAYYYY longer than gas engines, and honestly we should all be driving them right now. Better mileage, longer longevity, etc.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 08-21-2011, 01:18 AM   #55
Binyana2011
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87240
What I Drive: 2012 RCM Ti Hatch, 2012 Elantra Ltd

FF Reputation: 5 Binyana2011 Good Standing Member
Some of you doing these gas to diesel cost comparisons are forgetting one big factor...the buy-in cost.

As for whether or not I would buy a diesel focus, if the price were right I would be all over it ,
Old 08-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #56
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,598, Level 98
Level Up 25% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
The added purchase price is a turn-off. If they didn't do that, we'd all be driving little turboD's and not sucking up enough tax money in oil sales. They'd have to raise taxes on fuel to offset the differentiation.

Diesels are great for daily drivers, and recent advancements have made diesels cleaner- as well as extending oil changes. Diesels dirty oil, not overheat it or burn it like gasoline engines do. With good filters you can go quite a ways (25k miles) without an oil change- which is good because diesels tend to have larger oil capacities than gasoline engines.

Go green? Yeah with funding for algae and other alternatives to petroleum, some day we could possibly supply all our own fuel here, and stop financing terrorists. We could probably lead the world in fuel cell technology if the government could figure out how to tax water like gasoline.

Where's this car Ford?

Quote:
Old 08-22-2011, 02:33 AM   #57
Mattdoommaster
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 71593
What I Drive: 2006 Red Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Mattdoommaster Good Standing Member
I would buy if it wasn't a huge additional cost. A diesel trim starting at 22k would be nice.

Honestly, I doubt that would be obtainable in the United States, so I probably would not end up buying one.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:27 AM   #58
DJ2BIG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49192
What I Drive: 2012 Winter Frost SE

Points 3,392, Level 36
Points: 3,392, Level: 36 Points: 3,392, Level: 36 Points: 3,392, Level: 36
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: -6 DJ2BIG Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Chevy Cruze diesel will be on sale 2013

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using FF Mobile
Old 08-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #59
ajmorell
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84236
What I Drive: 02 SVTf, 98 Jeep ZJ

FF Reputation: 1 ajmorell Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2BIG View Post

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using FF Mobile
and if you look at the numbers you'll see the initial cost would take forever to make up in fuel savings compared to the gas Cruze....IMO the diesel Cruze is going to fall flat on it's face.

A lot of you have mentioned cost as a turnoff, and while I agree I think most of you probably don't realize that the car companies aren't really making much money off of the engine itself. The extra cost you see to buya diesel is very close to the actual cost inferred to the car company to put that engine in said vehicle.

In my eyes the biggest reason the US does not have small diesel cars the way the UK does is related almost entirely to this public opinion or stigma that "diesels are dirty." While that was true 15 years ago, new diesels are actually extremely clean, and obviously the huge advantage is that they are significantly more efficient than their gasoline counterparts. If big car companies want to boost small diesel sales in the US it needs to start with some public awareness regarding the issue.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #60
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,598, Level 98
Level Up 25% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2BIG View Post
Great, they were the ones who ruined it last time with the 350 diesel made from a converted Olds gas block. They ruined the Isuzu diesel when it first came out as the Duramax by not putting a turbo on it. If it's one thing I'm positive about- GM will screw up a diesel, period.

And here's the proof, great numbers, poor real world performance according to Edmunds.

Inside Line drives the new GM built 2.0 turbo diesel in a Cruze

Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.