2012 Ford Focus A/T shift hard only sometimes - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmcneil View Post
I own a 2011 Focus Sedan with 10,000 miles on it and the transmission upshifts to overdrive are irregular. It tries to lock up the torque converter and then shift out and back again several times until it locks. The engine rpms jump up and down. Had dealer look at it 2 times and install a new valve body with no luck. Maybe time to trade after only 6 months of use. Help
tgmcneil,

I'm sorry you have had to make multiple trips to the dealer and still have not had your transmission issue resolved. I don't want you to feel like you have to trade it in. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer information. I will do what I can to resolve this.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
CarGuy83
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86306
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Silver

FF Reputation: 1 CarGuy83 Good Standing Member
'12 Focus Titanium Shift Issues...

My less than 2 week old 2012 Focus Titanium is experiencing shift issues as well, harsh 1-2 shifts, reverse gear issues and some loopy idle stuff...
Has anyone gotten anywhere with it?
I made a trip to the selling dealer today who told me that its 'normal' and I should "get used to it".
One would think a brand new car with less than 600 Miles wouldn't have these issues.
This is my 5th Ford and this may end up being my last.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy83 View Post
My less than 2 week old 2012 Focus Titanium is experiencing shift issues as well, harsh 1-2 shifts, reverse gear issues and some loopy idle stuff...
I made a trip to the selling dealer today who told me that its 'normal' and I should "get used to it".
One would think a brand new car with less than 600 Miles wouldn't have these issues.
Mine did what you are describing .. but it got better after I hit 500 miles. I think it all has to do with the dual clutch set up. The more i drive it and the more I get use to the dual clutch .. the more I like it.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #14
usapatriot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73594
What I Drive: 09' Black SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 0 usapatriot Newbie
Quote:
Give it some time to learn your driving habits, then complain.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Hi CarGuy83,

I'm sure it must be aggravating, but it does take some time for your Focus to get acclimated to your driving habits. Since the dealer is advising that it is normal, I suggest you drive it for a while and see if it smooths out. If it continues to be an issue, please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer information. I want you to be a happy member of the Ford family, and I will work with you to resolve your concern.

~Natasha

Last edited by FordService; 06-06-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #16
tgmcneil
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85450
What I Drive: 2011 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 tgmcneil Good Standing Member
Quote:
The dealer installed a new valve body and recently a new torque converter----called and told me it was worse. They had two of their trans techs drive it and they said it was not right. Dealer had a Ford service rep look at it and finally they agreed to put a new trans in. Has been 2 weeks of drivinng a rental car(new Cadillac DTS) but should be done this Friday. Ask to speak to a Ford Rep or get them to install a new trans----there is no excuse for a trans in a new car to not shift correctly. Warantee covers trans.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #17
lunafish
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90203
What I Drive: 2012 sea foam hatch back

FF Reputation: 1 lunafish Good Standing Member
Angry Ford shift problem

I purchased my 2012 hatch back in June. When it shifts from 1 to 2 there is a jerk. It makes it a rough ride. The dealer said it will get used to my driving by 2500 miles. I bought a new car and I want a new car. Is this a lemon? I am very dissatisified with my Ford and guess it is the last one I will buy.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #18
Jim in Mich
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88682
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Jim in Mich Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmcneil View Post
The dealer installed a new valve body and recently a new torque converter----called and told me it was worse. They had two of their trans techs drive it and they said it was not right. Dealer had a Ford service rep look at it and finally they agreed to put a new trans in. Has been 2 weeks of drivinng a rental car(new Cadillac DTS) but should be done this Friday. Ask to speak to a Ford Rep or get them to install a new trans----there is no excuse for a trans in a new car to not shift correctly. Warantee covers trans.
I didn't think that dual clutch transmissions had torque converters or valve bodys. That's what regular autos have.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunafish View Post
I purchased my 2012 hatch back in June. When it shifts from 1 to 2 there is a jerk. It makes it a rough ride. The dealer said it will get used to my driving by 2500 miles.
Hi lunafish,

The dry dual-clutch gearbox has different sounds and sensations than basic automatics, and many initial worries have been resolved by simply driving the Focus. If it is still occurring at that time, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Mich View Post
I didn't think that dual clutch transmissions had torque converters or valve bodys. That's what regular autos have.
Hey Jim in Mich,

You are correct. From a Ford article about PowerShift: Unlike regular hydraulically operated automatic transmissions, which use power-sapping torque converters, wet clutches and pumps, the PowerShift consists of two manual transmissions working in parallel.

~Natasha

Last edited by FordService; 09-27-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #20
Jim in Mich
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88682
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Jim in Mich Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi lunafish,

The dry dual-clutch gearbox has different sounds and sensations than basic automatics, and many initial worries have been resolved by simply driving the Focus. If it is still occurring at that time, please let me know.

Hey Jim in Mich,

You are correct. From a Ford article about Powershift: Unlike regular hydraulically operated automatic transmissions, which use power-sapping torque converters, wet clutches and pumps, the PowerShift consists of two manual transmissions working in parallel.

~Natasha
Then why would a Ford Service Tech tell the customer he replaced 2 major parts in the transmission that don't exsist????????? Sounds like a "Shifty" dealership (pardon the pun) that should get a firm talking to by Ford Headquarters!!!. If I caught a dealership in an outright lie like that I would make a VERY BIG scene! I hate it when dealers try to BS customers. I would never walk through their door again and tell anyone that would listen about how they lie.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->