Headlight settings Drl's or timeout - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
airick
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104602
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 airick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Headlight settings Drl's or timeout

Gentlemen,

I have been lurking for a while here searching other threads and posts trying to figure out the best solution for this, I figured i might as well ask the question.

I have a 2012 SEL HB and am wondering a few things about the headlight settings.

If i leave my headlights in the "on" position will they eventually timeout, turn off and not drain my battery to nothing?

I am basicly looking for one or the other for what my headlights do. I want either the headlights to be always on, and turn off or timeout when i shut off the car, or have the option to override the lights in autolamp mode, for foggy conditions where it is light out but I need the headlights on, and then turn off when i turn the car off like they do already in auto lamp mode.

I know this has been talked about in other threads about the dealer being able to enable a DRL module or some setting in the computer (can someone confirm this?)

looking for options. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by airick View Post
Gentlemen,

I have been lurking for a while here searching other threads and posts trying to figure out the best solution for this, I figured i might as well ask the question.

I have a 2012 SEL HB and am wondering a few things about the headlight settings.

If i leave my headlights in the "on" position will they eventually timeout, turn off and not drain my battery to nothing?

I am basicly looking for one or the other for what my headlights do. I want either the headlights to be always on, and turn off or timeout when i shut off the car, or have the option to override the lights in autolamp mode, for foggy conditions where it is light out but I need the headlights on, and then turn off when i turn the car off like they do already in auto lamp mode.

I know this has been talked about in other threads about the dealer being able to enable a DRL module or some setting in the computer (can someone confirm this?)

looking for options. Thanks for the help.
I will confirm what your dealer told you... you can (the dealer) activate or de activate the DRLs on the focus. I had it done but hated that ALL the lights on the car's exterior remained on so the dealer de activated them. I then had the fogs (which i never use for their intended purpose) hooked up to be DRLs and i can either have them set to light upon start up or control them w/ a discrete switch i have on the dash to turn them off or on at will.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
airick
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
I will confirm what your dealer told you... you can (the dealer) activate or de activate the DRLs on the focus. I had it done but hated that ALL the lights on the car's exterior remained on so the dealer de activated them. I then had the fogs (which i never use for their intended purpose) hooked up to be DRLs and i can either have them set to light upon start up or control them w/ a discrete switch i have on the dash to turn them off or on at will.
cobie,
when you say that all the lights are on if they enable drl's you mean like mirror marker lights and dim tail lights as well?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
...or have the option to override the lights in autolamp mode, for foggy conditions where it is light out but I need the headlights on, and then turn off when i turn the car off like they do already in auto lamp mode.
That would be nice... What I do is sort of a half-measure. I leave them in "auto" all of the time, but turn them one notch left (to "on") when I need to override. Obviously, that doesn't satisfy your "auto off" requirement when you're overriding, however. I either have to remember to switch them back to auto, or be reminded by the door chime to switch them back.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
airick
Focus Rookie

Tbone,

That is what i am currently doing but i am usually oblivious to the dinging noise telling me to turn them off when i get out. comming from a 97 subaru i never had to think about it because the headlights turned off with the ignition.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
babaei
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113602
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 babaei Good Standing Member
Quote:
I will confirm what your dealer told you... you can (the dealer) activate or de activate the DRLs on the focus. I had it done but hated that ALL the lights on the car's exterior remained on so the dealer de activated them.
I read about this on the forms and it really does sound strange. I have a 2013 SE, and since I'm in Canada it comes with the DRLs factory-activated. During the day, it only puts on the headlights at about 80% power. I have auto-lights set on, so when it gets dark (or I use my wipers), the headlights go up to 100% and the rest of the lights go on.

It's kinda lame that it sounds like such a pain to properly activate DRLs in the US, considering it should just be a software setting and they are pretty good when they work properly (I wouldn't want it any other way).
Old 05-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
airick
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaei View Post
I read about this on the forms and it really does sound strange. I have a 2013 SE, and since I'm in Canada it comes with the DRLs factory-activated. During the day, it only puts on the headlights at about 80% power. I have auto-lights set on, so when it gets dark (or I use my wipers), the headlights go up to 100% and the rest of the lights go on.

It's kinda lame that it sounds like such a pain to properly activate DRLs in the US, considering it should just be a software setting and they are pretty good when they work properly (I wouldn't want it any other way).
agreed. looks like i am going to schedule a trip to the dealer to get the drl's activated and to also turn on the washer fluid low light that never turns on.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
cobie,
when you say that all the lights are on if they enable drl's you mean like mirror marker lights and dim tail lights as well?
when DRLs are activated ALL exterior lights are on, lic plate, tails, side markers,etc.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
airick
Focus Rookie

Quote:
when DRLs are activated ALL exterior lights are on, lic plate, tails, side markers,etc.
i guess its a matter of personal preference but sounds good to me.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
babaei
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113602
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 babaei Good Standing Member
I have some more information about this. Talking to another Canadian in another thread who has a 2012 SEL, it seems that his DRLs are all the lights on, all the time. I guess Ford changed it at some point (2012 Job 2? 2013?) to be only the headlights on during the day.

Autolights seem pointless on a car like that, but there you have it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks