2012 Focus Sport Package - Changes? - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-31-2011, 11:05 PM   #51
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Does anyone know if getting 17 inch wheels with either the SE SEL TITANIUM gets the stiffer suspension?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #52
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Ford says their was never a special suspension. It was talked about and then speculated into almost fact by journalists, but the springs and dampers are the same. There might be slight changes such as stiffer bushings in the titanium or different tuning, but thats it.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #53
lscrx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 41668
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE hatch 5mt

FF Reputation: 2 lscrx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
Posted via FF Mobile Ford says their was never a special suspension. It was talked about and then speculated into almost fact by journalists, but the springs and dampers are the same. There might be slight changes such as stiffer bushings in the titanium or different tuning, but thats it.
I have an order acceptance form in my car that lists "sport tuned suspension".

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 08-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #54
svcook
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86965
What I Drive: 2012, Red, SE, Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 svcook Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscrx View Post
I have an order acceptance form in my car that lists "sport tuned suspension".

Posted via FF Mobile

I don't know if it makes a difference but I may have one of the earlier production models. The sticker in the door jamb says mfg date was 3/11 and the window sticker indicates mfg date was 3/24/11.

I have the sport package on me SE. The options incuded were: 16" alloy wheels, disc brakes, leather wrap wheel and gear shifter. No reference to a "handling" upgrade.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #55
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
If you look at ETIS for a bunch of different cars under the minor features you will see SE and SELs listed with standard suspension. SEs with the Sport Pkg and Titaniums listed with Touring suspensions. Titaniums with the 18" wheels are listed as having performance suspension.

Then go to Fordparts.com and you will see different part numbers for standard, touring and performance shocks.

The springs are listed in ETIS and they don't follow the standard, touring and performance so I would expect that they are tuned to the weight of the car to maintain a consistent ride height based on content.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #56
silvertoy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88044
What I Drive: 2013 PB, Inside/out ST2 Nav w/ Moon

FF Reputation: 2 silvertoy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
Actually, if your lucky enough to be surfing from an android phone like I am and you go to the ford site and the mobile site comes up. When you build and price your vehicle, and select the SE sport package it says the exact words" sport tuned suspension" as one of the items included with that package. Looks like ford missed one spot when covering their tracks.
Also in reference to the 17 inch including the sport suspension, the answer is no because I ordered the SE Sport package and the 17 rims and I am listed as only getting the ng shocks and touring suspension.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #57
bluetitanium
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88395
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 bluetitanium Good Standing Member
My titanium hatch has the sport package. Bigger wheels with summer tires, and a tighter suspension are part of it for sure. I think the tires make the bigger change, personally. I've never taken it to a track, so I've never come close to it's limits. The wheels barely chirp a little at road safe/responsible speeds.

There's still a little bit of roll for such a small car. But it holds steady on the long sweepers, and it rotates very nicely with the brake. And it's not punishing for normal driving. Though, you can definitely feel (and hear) the potholes when you accidentally catch one.

My big complaint is that the seats are just a bit too bolstered for my frame. On a long drive, the seats become a bit uncomfortable.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #58
silvertoy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88044
What I Drive: 2013 PB, Inside/out ST2 Nav w/ Moon

FF Reputation: 2 silvertoy Good Standing Member
Cut and pasted from the Ford "build your own" mobile site:

The SE Sport Package includes:
•Sport-tuned suspension
•16" aluminum wheels
•Sport seats
•Rear disc brakes
•SelectShift Automatic™ transmission
•Piano black grille
•Rear spoiler (standard on 5-door)
•Metallic interior trim finish –door pulls and register surround
•Leather-wrapped steering wheel

Is the touring suspension considerable as "sport tuned"

It has a note that the Selectshift is only available with the automatic (of course)

Last edited by silvertoy; 08-01-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:51 AM   #59
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
My question to Ford North America is now that they are saying there was never a sport tuned suspension on the SE Sport Package option or standard on Titanium, then why the heck is Ford parts listing 3 different shock & struts for sale?

Go here http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...WLK+LH7viyyDAr under select category choose "suspension" then under select sub category choose shocks and struts, and it lists standard, touring, & handling with different ASH#s.
Also note all categories of rear shocks have a note about build date before and after March thru April.

Rear Standard changes March 22-23
Rear Handling changes April 05-06
Rear Touring changes April 10-11
Old 08-04-2011, 03:03 AM   #60
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
I have been communicating with a Jamie@Ford on Facebook regarding this issue.

My latest correspondence was asking about the three types of shocks/struts "Standard" "Touring" and "Handling" listed in the FordParts.com inventory and here is the response I received.

Jamie At Ford
If you would like me to research what specific parts are on your Focus, I will be happy to do so. I cannot, however, provide insight as to why there are “3 different named set-ups” at this time. While I understand you are on a mission to make Ford confirm or deny a parts description for your vehicle, those are matters that can be taken up further with the Office of General Council.

It appears I have hit a nerve with this investigation.
Maybe someone can speak with their local Ford service centers parts department to see if this department can share any knowledge on the different categories of shocks/struts for your 2012 Focus.

Bookmarks & Social Networks