problem data logging AEM wideband O2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Eklipse113
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63711
What I Drive: 2009 Black Clearcoat Coupe SES

FF Reputation: 4 Eklipse113 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
problem data logging AEM wideband O2

Hey guys,

So I've got my wideband O2 on and working, but unfortunately when I data log in livelink, the program is showing different values than the gauge is. I have the analog equation set to AFR = v*2 + 10 like you're supposed to, which is what livelink set it to and what everything on google says you're supposed to, but it's just not working. I tried playing with the equation to make them match at idle (and because I really need a tune update, it's idling at oscillating RPM and AFR values and my car is running so rich the AFR at WOT is saying 10) and then try it at WOT to see if it matches, but I gave up on that.

One thing I noticed in my AEM instructions is the calibration switch on the back of the unit- I'll check that- but the default is supposed to be set for AFR as it is... so I donno.

I mean, there's not much to mess up with connecting the AEM to a firewire cable- I connected the white wire to whichever wire got me a reading in LiveLink when I started the data logger... but I did notice that no matter what, analog 2 seems to have noise on it (no wire connected) and shows 0 volts, then 2 volts, then 0, etc.

Also when I wired up the gauge, would the power source/ground affect this? I used the power and ground from the overhead reading lamps. The instructions said to use a "clean ground", and this ground has the lamps and my radar detector on it, so I thought I'd ask...

I'm kind of frustrated and out of ideas, and Tom can't adjust my tune til I have reliable data logs for him.

Tuned by Focus-Power (Tom)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
How far off are the values between Livelink and the gauge?
Old 05-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklipse113 View Post
Hey guys,

So I've got my wideband O2 on and working, but unfortunately when I data log in livelink, the program is showing different values than the gauge is. I have the analog equation set to AFR = v*2 + 10 like you're supposed to, which is what livelink set it to and what everything on google says you're supposed to, but it's just not working. I tried playing with the equation to make them match at idle (and because I really need a tune update, it's idling at oscillating RPM and AFR values and my car is running so rich the AFR at WOT is saying 10) and then try it at WOT to see if it matches, but I gave up on that.

One thing I noticed in my AEM instructions is the calibration switch on the back of the unit- I'll check that- but the default is supposed to be set for AFR as it is... so I donno.

I mean, there's not much to mess up with connecting the AEM to a firewire cable- I connected the white wire to whichever wire got me a reading in LiveLink when I started the data logger... but I did notice that no matter what, analog 2 seems to have noise on it (no wire connected) and shows 0 volts, then 2 volts, then 0, etc.

Also when I wired up the gauge, would the power source/ground affect this? I used the power and ground from the overhead reading lamps. The instructions said to use a "clean ground", and this ground has the lamps and my radar detector on it, so I thought I'd ask...

I'm kind of frustrated and out of ideas, and Tom can't adjust my tune til I have reliable data logs for him.
You shouldn't have to manually input any equations into the Livelink software.

When preparing to data log with your SCT scanner, go to "Data Logging" then "Set Up" in the SCT scanner menu and configure scanner analog inputs, when prompted i.e. "Configure Analog Inputs? Y/N" will appear on the screen. Select Channel 2 (or 1 depending on the wire you chose) and specify "Wideband" and then "AEM" from the scrollable list presented. This will apply a formula to the raw voltage generated by the sensor located in the exhaust stream and convert it into a more recognizable AFR ratio - the same as the in dash gauge will display - in the resulting logs.

It is likely the 2V is the correct reading since 2V*2+10 =14 AFR, which is approx the stoichiometric ratio at idle. You may have an intermittent connection or crossed wires. 2V is too large a value for background noise.

As you suggest, try a different power source and ground. Try grounding directly to the metal passenger fusebox housing. Use a 12V switched source (such as the wipers) for power and also connect at the fusebox junction.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Eklipse113
Focus Enthusiast

AEM told me to check that the output voltage is correct, by unplugging the sensor from the gauge and using a multimeter- output should say 2.3 when you turn the ignition to "on" without starting the car. I'm going to check this and I have to say I'm pretty suspicious that that's my issue- I'd have to RMA the gauge at that point.

I would use the scanner without livelink, however, the scanner always says "data signal lost" and never picks up anything when I try to use it. So Livelink is my only way to data log.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
That error on your scanner could be the issue, is the firmware up to date? Also, if you're using channel 2 try using channel 1. I had trouble with channel 2. SCT told me it's more noisy than 1.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Eklipse113
Focus Enthusiast

I solved it, wrote it up in a new thread for anyone who needs it and finds this via search...
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257903

Bookmarks & Social Networks