2012 Focus Average MPG problems - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #31
hoffmanr09
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89468
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus se

FF Reputation: 1 hoffmanr09 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefurbia View Post
I picked up my 2012 SEL loaded Focus a week ago and love all the features except the Trip 1 and Trip 2 Average MPG is terribly off showing an average between 23 and 26 MPG even though my actual verified is about 38 MPG average.

When I picked up the car I reset the trip 1 and trip 2 while I was driving, both showing 180.0 miles had been driven, but one showed an average of 23.0 MPG and the other 25.9 MPG.

Yesterday I went to my Ford dealer to 'fix' the problem

The Ford mechanic told me the difference might have been because I set the trip meters while driving and the difference in the delay between resets could cause the difference. A Bugatti Veyron could not even use that much fuel in the few seconds it took to clear eack trip meter. Being told something that would be physically impossible is not a great way to start a relationship with my new Ford...

After the dealer called the factory, they handed my car back to me with no fix stating there are no faults, or known fixes...

Anybody else having similar problems?
SAME PROBLEM. Told me same bull crap and drove my car and said it gets 36 and that is true when your driving 70mph then reset while going these speeds. HOWEVER after 3 days in eventually when down and down to 23-24. I believe there is a flaw. I wonder what your build date is? Mine is 5/11 where i had to get the updates and everything. I think the poor gas mileage readings has some correlation to the DCT powershift transmission. I have yet still to have smooth shifting even though I got the latest tsb 2,000k ago. I think the problem with the DCT is causing below normal MPG on the screen. Something is just not right
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #32
AzulDulceFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94680
What I Drive: 2013 Tux Blk Focus Ti HB

FF Reputation: 2 AzulDulceFocus Good Standing Member
I don't know how you guys drive your Focus by my Average MPG on my car has actually been slightly overestimating what I've gotten over my real world mileage based on what I've calculated out of my tanks, but it's very close to accurate. When I first purchased the car, I had 14.3 Avg MPG with only 22 miles on the odometer. I remember that clearly. Now at 2.8K miles, I have not reset my Average MPG since and it has now gone all the way up to 37.5 MPG but I've actually calculated 36.7 MPG over my 8 tanks so that is very close!! Distance to E is also very accurate and calculates how many miles you have on your tank based on long term averages of fuel-ups.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #33
rdyapo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96487
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SEL & 02 Ranger XLT

FF Reputation: 1 rdyapo Good Standing Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyszx5 View Post
It does not use odometer readings, trip or other to calculate mpg. It uses data from the ecm from injector pulse timing and probably some other data to calculate avg mpg. It is by no means precise but it is designed to be fairly accurate. In my old Ford truck forum the guys refered to them as the lie-o-meters. I am on the 5th tank of fuel at about 1700 miles and avg is showing 31.2. I hand calculated the last tank to 31.7. It took a while for the display to creep up to this point and showed consistently lower numbers for the first 4 tanks. The overall avg of all tanks show far calculates out to 33. I do about 25% highway and 75% suburban stop and go. Was hoping for a bit better but 31 is still better than 19 and I'm still pretty confident it will creep up some more, particularly if I can shave some pounds of my foot.
Thanks for the info, I was wondering how all this calculations was adding up.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #34
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

Points 750, Level 14
Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyszx5 View Post
It does not use odometer readings, trip or other to calculate mpg. It uses data from the ecm from injector pulse timing and probably some other data to calculate avg mpg. It is by no means precise but it is designed to be fairly accurate.
Yes it uses data from the ECU and one of those signals is the one that drives the odometer display so it really is using the odometer. When you reset a trip counter the current odometer reading in the ECU is stored in another memory location. The unit then looks at the current odometer reading in memory and subtracts the stored trip reading for the trip distance and for the numerator of the mileage calculation. For the gallons, the total sum of the duty cycle of the injectors is used to calculate the gallons which then becomes the denominator in the MPG calculation.

FWIW, I have had (4) Chrysler products that have had trip navigators and the average fuel consumption read out has been within .1 or .2 mpg of the calculated full up to fill up mileage. so the ability to make these things quite accurate exists, Ford just hasn't done a good job with theirs.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #35
hoffmanr09
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89468
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus se

FF Reputation: 1 hoffmanr09 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
Yes it uses data from the ECU and one of those signals is the one that drives the odometer display so it really is using the odometer. When you reset a trip counter the current odometer reading in the ECU is stored in another memory location. The unit then looks at the current odometer reading in memory and subtracts the stored trip reading for the trip distance and for the numerator of the mileage calculation. For the gallons, the total sum of the duty cycle of the injectors is used to calculate the gallons which then becomes the denominator in the MPG calculation.

FWIW, I have had (4) Chrysler products that have had trip navigators and the average fuel consumption read out has been within .1 or .2 mpg of the calculated full up to fill up mileage. so the ability to make these things quite accurate exists, Ford just hasn't done a good job with theirs.
A 2012 vehicle should have precise mpg readings no questions asked!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #36
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
Posted via FF Mobile Really thats not. Your off 2mpg from the epa estimates. Depending on your driving habits its going vary. Also how long do you let your car warm up for? Rush tothe store is going to net you lower mpgs. And your barely broken in it at, wait...your mileage will go up substantially over time, trust me. Also whats wrong with the trans? I hear a bunch of people complain and think it has a problem, but its really just them not used to the dual clutch and everythings normal.

If your still getting the same mileage in say like 5k miles, and youve tried all different driving styles, then id say you have a problem.
I will +1 that. I reset avg mpg and trip each time. Filled up last week first 5 miles were stop and go. Ut oh the readout was low 20's...but now I have 200 miles on the trip my avg has shot back up to 31. It's not just going to magically reach the EPA estimates etc etc. I have 5900 miles on the clock.

Posted via iPhone 4S
Old 03-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #37
SpinKix
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95912
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Gray Ti 5D DCT THP

Points 143, Level 2
Points: 143, Level: 2 Points: 143, Level: 2 Points: 143, Level: 2
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 SpinKix Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmanr09 View Post
A 2012 vehicle should have precise mpg readings no questions asked!!!
I left my Trip 2 untouched for 5 fill ups to keep an average against my logged miles/gallons. Both match *exactly* after 700 miles.

I reset Trip 1 MPG and Miles every fill up to get an idea of instant MPG, and it seems to average against a stored constant.

The first reading seems to be skewed toward the last reading before reset, then adjusts quickly up or down based on real time driving.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #38
rsilvers
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101466
What I Drive: White 2012 SE Sport, Auto, 203A.

FF Reputation: 1 rsilvers Good Standing Member
Drove 173.5 miles in 2012 SE Sport DCT with 93 octane and replaced 5.25 gallons. So that is 33.0 mpg. Car reported 31.6 over the same distance. So in my case, it is not trying to lie. I will test it a few more times.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #39
Jen299
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103814
What I Drive: 2012 focus se red

FF Reputation: 1 Jen299 Good Standing Member
Not happy

I have a 2012 focus with just about 9000km on it and i was feeling like the steering was off and a noise coming from the drivers side. Took it to the dealers and they hooked it up to the computer and said it was fine(that was at 1000km) just took it back in 4 days ago with the same issues to find out now I need a new transmission and a new steering rack omg my experience of buying my first new car has been very bad. There is no lemon law in Canada so I'm stuck with this car. Anyone else have these issues
Old 09-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #40
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 4,322, Level 41
Points: 4,322, Level: 41 Points: 4,322, Level: 41 Points: 4,322, Level: 41
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen299 View Post
I have a 2012 focus with just about 9000km on it and i was feeling like the steering was off and a noise coming from the drivers side. Took it to the dealers and they hooked it up to the computer and said it was fine(that was at 1000km) just took it back in 4 days ago with the same issues to find out now I need a new transmission and a new steering rack omg my experience of buying my first new car has been very bad. There is no lemon law in Canada so I'm stuck with this car. Anyone else have these issues
What does this have to do with this thread?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.