Passenger Door Stuck Closed - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
kp^
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56338
What I Drive: Black 00 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 kp^ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Passenger Door Stuck Closed

Hello all!

The last time I posted here my auto locks were not working, and I had a few other issues with my 2000 SE Focus. Everything has been recently fixed on the car, expect for the door being stuck, and the trunk locking mechanism! The only 2 issues that remain!

This week I'm tackling the door issue. I need to know how to open the passenger door manually.... Can I push, or pull, or do something to unlatch it? I've hit the auto locks to unlock the door. I can hear it function when I lock in and unlock..

I've tried to unbolt the door and yank it off, but it still stunk somewhere! The door latch/lock has been taken off, and the cable is disconnected as well...

I'll go to a dealer for this is there is a TSB or something, but would rather not... It sucks to have a 4door car, but only 3 work..

I've added 2 pictures. The first is looking at the inside of the door at the locking mechanism.. I think. The other is of the door as of 5min ago. :)

Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door02.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	17354  

Click image for larger version

Name:	door01.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	17355  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I'm not sure where you stand right now.....the door won't open at all, but you hear the actuator click when you hit the un-lock button?

And those pictures were taken from inside the car with the door still locked?

My driver door actuator on my '06 failed in the un-lock position. I could open the door with the manual handles, but couldn't lock it. There's a plunger solenoid inside the actuator that got stuck. No amount of lubrication got it to move. I had it replaced at the dealer under warranty.

Now if your door won't open at all.....you're in trouble. I had that happen on a Maxima I was working on. I ended up having to cut/chisel the actuator apart from inside the car with the door closed. To get to it, I had to cut off the inside door panel also. Bad/expensive job.

Good luck...
Old 01-14-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
kp^
Focus Enthusiast

bluefront, Thanks for posting.

Yeah, I can hear something from the door when I unlock/lock the doors. Same noise for every door. So I know its working... Or at least think so... just not releasing?.... I dont know?

The door has never opened for me. Those pictures were taken same day I posted this thread.

Hmm... plunger solenoid... Sounds promising...

I may call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.. This is ridiculous! Anyone else? Thanks!
Old 01-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
kp^
Focus Enthusiast

bumpy bump :)
Old 02-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
HailRedskins
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 58469
What I Drive: 2005 BMW 330Ci

FF Reputation: 1 HailRedskins Good Standing Member
I'm having a similiar issue with my 2000 SE 4dr Focus. Rear left side passenger door will not open. The shop I took it to tells me they were unable to open it as well and that I'd need to take it to a body shop!? hrmmm.

Is it possible to open the door by removing the interior door panels? I don't mind destroying the frozen door so long as I could replace the entire thing with a new one. A few junk yards in my area have the door in the color I need so sourcing one isn't an issue.

Help us! lol.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 AM   #6
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
It's a tough job for sure. If you can get the door panels off, you have limited access to the latch. See the photos above. Soak the whole thing in penetrating fluid for a long time. keep pulling on the inner handle cable. If it never loosens up, you can chisel it apart. Still not easy....

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #7
kmorgan0688
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 31553
What I Drive: 2000 Emerald Green KonaZX3

FF Reputation: 1 kmorgan0688 Good Standing Member
my door wont open using the handle.... however if i pull the rd on the inside of the door down, it will. it just doesnt get enough pull with the handle. you could try that out...

im actually on here to figure out what i could do to get the handle to push the rod down farther. it looks like it can be adjusted but i cant tell
Old 03-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
E150GT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 63524
What I Drive: 2000 silver se

FF Reputation: 1 E150GT Good Standing Member
i just bought my focus with no working power door locks and the passneger rear door not opening. I found the fuse behind the fuse panel was blown. I put a new one in and was able to open the door, but the fuse blew after about 5 lock/unlock cycles. At least all my door can open now. Nows I suspect this problem is a bad actuator? Also the window wont roll down on that door. Are there any relations to each other?

1986 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL
Old 03-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 42 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Would sound like the wiring through the door is damaged, that'd be what I would look into.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
Tabraea
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 128746
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus Malibu blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Tabraea Good Standing Member
I have the same problem with my 2000 Ford Focus ZX3. I took it to the dealer and they told me I needed the wiring harness put on some computer. They said that would cost me $125 bucks but, they would credit that back if I had the door fixed there.

I read some place that the fuse on the central locking mechanism is blown out. I don't know how to get to this or what to do. I sure don't want to take it back to the dealer and be taken advantage of (because I'm unaware of the problem.)

The passsenger door hasn't been working for over 2 years now and I deal with it because I'm the only driver and we don't take on passengers.

Please help.. I'd really like to know how to fix this myself. I'm good with a set of tools even though I AM a girl.

Bookmarks & Social Networks