Photographers Thread - Post your work - Page 377 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Photos & Camera Fanatics

Photos & Camera Fanatics Post your photoshop, photography artwork or camera tips and tricks here.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #3761
07XL1200c
road tripper

Fan#: 106908
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Metallic Hatch

Points 1,049, Level 17
Points: 1,049, Level: 17 Points: 1,049, Level: 17 Points: 1,049, Level: 17
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 07XL1200c Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Oh ok. I got ya. The second picture was on side of I-70 west of Salina KS so didn't have time for much angling. More for momentous
Posted via FF Mobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 AM   #3762
07XL1200c
road tripper

Points 1,049, Level 17
Level Up 49% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Like this? I'm afraid if I keep croping this pic its going to keep getting more blurry.

Or how about this?

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 01-18-2013, 01:42 AM   #3763
YellowJellyBean
Love CA / Hate CARB

Fan#: 69030
What I Drive: MÜSTÄRD

FF Reputation: 13 YellowJellyBean Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
You're on to something there with that last shot. That's the magic of wide angle, which pushes the background away and fills your frame with the subject. Vehicle photos also tend to look better from lower angle. If you had some better light to work with (like a sunrise or sunset) and some colorful clouds in the sky, that could be a really nice shot.

One of the number 1 things people tend to do "wrong" in composition is to not fill the frame with their subject. If you're taking a picture of a motorcycle, you want people to know that your picture is of a motorcycle. Your second shot here does that much better than the first.

Focus Fanatics
Extremely helpful people
I made a haiku
Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #3764
Duratec 2.3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 22283
What I Drive: 2003,Liquid Grey,Pzev ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Duratec 2.3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Took this in the morning, First time using my 35mm F1.8. Full Manual , 1/40, F2.8, ISO 200, and white balanced set to Incandescent to make the daylight blue for a police feel.
I call it "Mystery a Foot"
There has been a murder and what Detective Dooby isn't aware of is that the murderer is still at the crime scene

Mystery a Foot by JAlejandro Photography, on Flickr
Hatch Nation #60
SoCal Crew #182
Old 01-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #3765
07XL1200c
road tripper

Points 1,049, Level 17
Level Up 49% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
That last picture was at sunset. I got some more pics from that shoot or I can send you the link to photobucket so you can critique them.

Duratec, that's an awesome pic!
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #3766
YellowJellyBean
Love CA / Hate CARB

Fan#: 69030
What I Drive: MÜSTÄRD

FF Reputation: 13 YellowJellyBean Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Tons of people on the internet want to critique your photos, and you shouldn't listen to >99% of them. Honestly, the only advice I feel comfortable giving is a tip I got from the controversial photography guru Ken Rockwell. When you're composing a shot you should always be thinking about the classic K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid). If something is important to your photo, include it in the frame. If something doesn't help what you're trying to show, then don't include it. The most powerful photos and the ones that attract us are usually incredibly simple. That's the difficulty in photography: taking all of life's clutter and organizing the things in front of you to show other people what you see.

Just look at pictures—browse people's portfolios on Flickr, Picasa, and the other million photography sites out there. See what looks good to you and try to pick out what it is about those pictures that you like. Is it the lighting, is it how the subject is placed in the frame, etc.? Then go out and try to put some of those elements in your own pictures.

The best way to see if you accomplished what you were going for is to put your pictures up somewhere (like this forum) and see what people say (without telling them why you took the picture). If your goal with a photo was to show off the rough texture of an old wooden building and someone says "Dang, the wood on that door looks like it could take my face off!" then you did well.

Focus Fanatics
Extremely helpful people
I made a haiku
Old 01-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #3767
Duratec 2.3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 22283
What I Drive: 2003,Liquid Grey,Pzev ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Duratec 2.3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJellyBean View Post
Tons of people on the internet want to critique your photos, and you shouldn't listen to >99% of them. Honestly, the only advice I feel comfortable giving is a tip I got from the controversial photography guru Ken Rockwell. When you're composing a shot you should always be thinking about the classic K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid). If something is important to your photo, include it in the frame. If something doesn't help what you're trying to show, then don't include it. The most powerful photos and the ones that attract us are usually incredibly simple. That's the difficulty in photography: taking all of life's clutter and organizing the things in front of you to show other people what you see.

Just look at pictures—browse people's portfolios on Flickr, Picasa, and the other million photography sites out there. See what looks good to you and try to pick out what it is about those pictures that you like. Is it the lighting, is it how the subject is placed in the frame, etc.? Then go out and try to put some of those elements in your own pictures.

The best way to see if you accomplished what you were going for is to put your pictures up somewhere (like this forum) and see what people say (without telling them why you took the picture). If your goal with a photo was to show off the rough texture of an old wooden building and someone says "Dang, the wood on that door looks like it could take my face off!" then you did well.
Great advice Yellow
Hatch Nation #60
SoCal Crew #182
Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #3768
mikealicious
'Merica

Fan#: 47077
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT (gone), 2012 SEL

FF Reputation: 8 mikealicious Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
not sure how into videography any of you guys are, but I just ordered a RODE VideoMic and Micover windscreen for it. Should be here next week.

Also, sort of "jailbroke" my t2i and downloaded MagicLantern onto it. Very happy with it's capabilities thus far.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #3769
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 35,900, Level 100
Points: 35,900, Level: 100 Points: 35,900, Level: 100 Points: 35,900, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
I do a lot of video. I shoot commercially with large ENG cameras for the past 7 years now.
The Rode mics are great. Congrats on the purchase.
I feel those are up there with the sennheisers and audio tecnicas.

Out of curiousity, why did u jailbreak the t2i?

Ray
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #3770
mikealicious
'Merica

Fan#: 47077
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT (gone), 2012 SEL

FF Reputation: 8 mikealicious Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
yea. I've read a lot of great things about the RODE's on POTN.

as far as downloading MagicLantern, it's not a permanent jailbreak. The firmware runs along side Canon's. It just downloads it to the RAM rather than the BIOS. You download the MagicLantern firmware onto the memory card, and it's a bootable firmware. You can hold "SET" on the camer when turning it on to not boot the ML.

As far as why, I'll be doing some video's for friends here coming up, and read that Canon's AGC caused a lot of annoying whine's/hissing when there's not a lot of audio/sounds for the mic to pick up. Canon hasn't released a firmware update where you're able to adjust gain or turn off the AGC. The ML allows you to do just that, as well as a lot of other things. People were saying it gives you a lot of the same features as the 5Dmk3 and 7D. I can't comment on that since I've yet to play with either. Few of the things I've noticed right off the bat:

•ability to adjust L/R gain individually and turn off AGC. Makes a HUGE difference in audio. I'll post a video later today/tomorrow to show you what I'm taking about. Never realized how much hissing there was until I was able to turn it off.

•prior to ML, my ISO settings went from 100 to 200 to 400. I now have ISO 160 and 320.

•automatic HDR bracketing/exposure. (I've never made an HDR picture before, but this feature will take three separate pictures [I think you might be able to up it to 5 in the settings], with three separate exposures, with one click of the shutter button)

and here's a link and some of the things they say it allows you to do.

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide

■Audio: disable AGC, audio meters, manual audio controls, selectable input source (internal, internal+external, external stereo, balanced), audio monitoring via A/V cable.
■Exposure helpers: zebras, false color, histogram, waveform, spotmeter, vectorscope.
■Focus tools: focus peaking, zoom while recording, trap focus, rack_focus, follow_focus, stack_focus.
■Movie helpers: Bitrate control, movie logging (Exif-like metadata), auto-restart after buffer overflow or 4 GB limit, HDR video, advanced FPS control.
■LiveView adjustments: contrast, saturation, display gain for using LiveView in darkness.
■Cropmark images: user-editable overlays to assist framing and composition.
■Fine control for ISO, Shutter, Kelvin white balance and other image settings.
■Bracketing: advanced exposure bracketing, focus stacking.
■Remote release with LCD face sensor and audio trigger, without extra hardware.
■Timelapse: intervalometer (for photos and movies), bulb ramping (manual and automatic), recording at very low FPS (down to 0.2 FPS), silent pictures without shutter actuation.
■Astro- and night photography: bulb timer for very long exposures (up to 8h).
■Info displays: focus and DOF info, CMOS temperature, shutter count, clock.
■For strobists: flash exposure compensation, range up to -10 to +3 EV (depends on the camera).
■Power saving: Turn off display or reduce backlight in LiveView during idle times.
■Handy features: Quick zoom in PLAY mode, key shortcuts for commonly-used features, customizable menus.
■And much more!

and I'll add that I can always delete the .fir file off of my memory card, or swap in another memory card that doesn't have that file on there, and it's like I never did it. Pretty interesting stuff. Just YouTube'd how to install it, and it worked the first time with no issues.

Bookmarks & Social Networks