Photographers Thread - Post your work - Page 309 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Off-Topic Discussions > Photos & Camera Fanatics

Photos & Camera Fanatics Post your photoshop, photography artwork or camera tips and tricks here.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #3081
AdmiralZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72045
What I Drive: '10 Black Titan ret. '03 LG ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 AdmiralZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealicious View Post
Yea. Looking at the pictures after I took them, I definitely felt like more light was needed on her. I had the windshield reflectors in my car, but the spots where we took the pictures didn't have a lot of sun to bounce off of the shades. We took the pictures under the tree rather than under the sun, so that there wouldn't be a lot of shadows cast on her face. I'm still a rookie, so I'm learning as I go.

Appreciate all of the tips, Ray. I didn't do a whole lot to these in post. I have cs5, and I shoot in .RAW + .jpg, so I can edit in either format. Just wasn't sure how extravagent to go with the colors, skin tone, etc. I just reduced the bags under her eyes, got rid of some blemishes, and some leaves and distractions in the background. If you, or anyone else has the time, I'd love to see what kind of edits you could do with these pictures. If you guys would shoot me your email, I could send you the full res, unedited picture in either .raw or .jpg depending on your editing preference.

and forget the newbness, but by "wide" do you mean like the 18mm part of my 18-55mm kit lens? when it gives that little "fisheye" effect? for lenses currently, I have:

canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
canon 50mm f/1.8
canon 28-105mm f/3.4-4.5
canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 II

do you guys have any recommendations for a good (while sticking on a budget) tripod? the one I have is dated and only goes to like 4.5'. I'd like one that went higher, maybe around the 6-7' mark if possible.

yea. I have the 50, just trying to get the hang of it still.
For portraits, use your 28-105 until you get used to using prime lenses (fixed focal length lenses) Your 28-105 will be more forgiving, but not as crystal clear as a 50 or 85.

Color correcting, not "how extravagant should the colors be." You want realistic colors, people are different colors believe it or not, i.e. yellow, blue, red, and green. Too much "bump" in one color will make it more obvious. Cameras see more than we can, so we need to correct colors for what they actually are.

There was a suggestion for you to get a bounce card. I echo this recommendation, but spend $40 and get a reflector with a grey scale on the back. When you start shooting with a person, car, dog, snake, motorcycle, ask them to just hold the card. On the card there are 3 shades, true black, true white, and what you need to be concerned with, TRUE GREY. The grey on the card is a true neutural grey. The grey tshirt im wearing has blue in it. The grey sweat pants your gf or wife wears, may have more black and blue. When you go in and white balance, select the grey and your images in that pose will be color corrected for the most part, but minor adjustments will be needed. And every time you change something major, camera angle, background, lighting, or pose position (not legs crossed to uncrossed or hand positions, but sitting to standing, shade to sun...etc.), you take another shoot with the card.

Now on the opposite side of the card.....a reflector! Lol 2 tools in 1!!!

Hope I didn't confuse you. Shoot me a pm and I'll give you my number so we can text if you have questions. I actually want to teach photography when my wife gets out of the AF and we finally settle down....lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullsroad View Post
Anyone shoot film and process their own stuff? Any street photographers? Show me your Flickr, Tumblr, etc!
I shoot in film, don't have the gear to develope my own anymore but will soon. Do you have questions! Lol Ray is good digitally, but I'm the film guru...lol.
Hatch Nation #107 Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_HT View Post
I'm from europe, land where having sex with strangers is like having a cup of coffee in the morning ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #3082
mikealicious
'Merica

Fan#: 47077
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT (gone), 2012 SEL

FF Reputation: 8 mikealicious Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralZX3 View Post
For portraits, use your 28-105 until you get used to using prime lenses (fixed focal length lenses) Your 28-105 will be more forgiving, but not as crystal clear as a 50 or 85.

Color correcting, not "how extravagant should the colors be." You want realistic colors, people are different colors believe it or not, i.e. yellow, blue, red, and green. Too much "bump" in one color will make it more obvious. Cameras see more than we can, so we need to correct colors for what they actually are.

There was a suggestion for you to get a bounce card. I echo this recommendation, but spend $40 and get a reflector with a grey scale on the back. When you start shooting with a person, car, dog, snake, motorcycle, ask them to just hold the card. On the card there are 3 shades, true black, true white, and what you need to be concerned with, TRUE GREY. The grey on the card is a true neutural grey. The grey tshirt im wearing has blue in it. The grey sweat pants your gf or wife wears, may have more black and blue. When you go in and white balance, select the grey and your images in that pose will be color corrected for the most part, but minor adjustments will be needed. And every time you change something major, camera angle, background, lighting, or pose position (not legs crossed to uncrossed or hand positions, but sitting to standing, shade to sun...etc.), you take another shoot with the card.

Now on the opposite side of the card.....a reflector! Lol 2 tools in 1!!!

Hope I didn't confuse you. Shoot me a pm and I'll give you my number so we can text if you have questions. I actually want to teach photography when my wife gets out of the AF and we finally settle down....lol.
awesome info. I'll have to do that. Thanks! Any recommendations on where to get that two in one card for a good deal? and how large should the reflector be? Ideally I'd like one that could fold so I can keep my travel gear easy to pack.

do you guys use any actions on your post processing? if so, what are some good ones, and where do I get them? a friend had me download some from deviantart, but they don't really seem to be useful for the photos I've taken, so far.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #3083
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Here for Lightroom Presets...

http://www.presetsheaven.com/

.my current favorite is "old school skin tone"

You get things like this:

IMG_3856_wm by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr
Old 09-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #3084
AdmiralZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72045
What I Drive: '10 Black Titan ret. '03 LG ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 AdmiralZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealicious View Post
awesome info. I'll have to do that. Thanks! Any recommendations on where to get that two in one card for a good deal? and how large should the reflector be? Ideally I'd like one that could fold so I can keep my travel gear easy to pack.

do you guys use any actions on your post processing? if so, what are some good ones, and where do I get them? a friend had me download some from deviantart, but they don't really seem to be useful for the photos I've taken, so far.
This will work pretty good same exact one i have. Folds up to about 4-5 inches.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._One_Shot.html

Get a new bag too, if you are concerned about space. My recommendation....the Manfrotto Unica VII, but here is a link to all their "messenger" bags. I like messenger bags, btw...lol
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...-Shoulder_Bags

Are you a photography student? Sign up for B&H education. Major discounts on tons of stuff like bags and software.
Hatch Nation #107 Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_HT View Post
I'm from europe, land where having sex with strangers is like having a cup of coffee in the morning ;)
Old 09-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #3085
speedracer ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85172
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue ST & 2003 SVT

FF Reputation: 2 speedracer ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)

Give Rep If You've Been Helped
Old 09-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #3086
lyonsroar

IMG_3930_wm by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr
Old 09-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #3087
YellowJellyBean
Love CA / Hate CARB

Fan#: 69030
What I Drive: MÜSTÄRD

FF Reputation: 13 YellowJellyBean Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Haven't just gone out and taken pics in a while. Please excuse the dirty car.

End by Focus Dave, on Flickr

Focus Fanatics
Extremely helpful people
I made a haiku

Last edited by YellowJellyBean; 09-19-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #3088
lyonsroar

IMG_3921_wm by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr
Old 09-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #3089
StockTalon

Fan#: 94771
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 StockTalon Good Standing Member