Photographers Thread - Post your work - Page 297 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Off-Topic Discussions > Photos & Camera Fanatics

Photos & Camera Fanatics Post your photoshop, photography artwork or camera tips and tricks here.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #2961
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_mclaren View Post
No nobody take offence to this. Up till I joined this site I've always looked up to certin photographs and photographers. I've always tried to take photos to work my way up to the level that that they could take photographs. Then I came here and found out it was all a lie. They was taking photos and editing the crap of of them to make them look fantastic. I have always thought if the photographer was good, they would do it right the first time. Especially if you have thousands of dallors in equipment and you still have to edit them after. I still stand behind that theory. I don't want to post up what I do, because to you it looks like crap. Because I didn't edit the crap out of it, but to me it looks fantastic because it's not, and I'm proud that I was able to get the pic with out editing it.
Which photographers did you look up to?

Ansel Adams? That's usually the name thrown out most often. I can tell you he didn't get his contrasty black and white' right in camera all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansel Adams
“The negative is the composer’s score, all the information is there. The print is the performance, so you interpret the score at various aesthetic emotional levels, but never far enough away dividing the original concept.”
http://www.jmg-galleries.com/blog/20...e-purist-myth/

So as the negative was the film photographers "score" the RAW file is the digital photographer's.

I look at post processing the same way I look at manipulation in the darkroom: both can make a good picture great, but can't make a bad picture good.

It's also interesting to note that any time you take a JPG on a camera there is post processing done. It's done in camera. The camera does what it thinks is best and then spits out a completed file. When you shoot in RAW the camera does none of that post processing, it just records the data and leaves the photographer to do the manipulation. So, in a sense, there are no pictures devoid of post processing...ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #2962
lyonsroar

No editing I swear...

IMG_3558_wm by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr
Old 08-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #2963
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
A successfully edited photo should not be obviously edited. A more proper term is photo retouching.

You think film photographers didn't 'edit' their photos? Think again. Dodging and burning aren't just brushes in Photoshop. Those terms originated from techniques used in the darkroom.

The photo editing stage is just one of the steps in creating a successful photograph. Of course, some photos may be close-to-perfect straight out of the camera, but many need a little tweaking to bring a photographer's vision to life.

Additionally, there's editing, and then there's HDR-abuse. I really don't feel like diving into that argument right now, but some of the photos I've seen in here are guilty of HDR-abuse.

Anyways, an example of editing.

You might remember this shot:

Here's what it looked like out of the camera:
Old 08-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #2964
Charged SVTF
Was that our exit?!?

Fan#: 22047
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue Supercharged SVT

FF Reputation: 30 Charged SVTF Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Well you are not evading the HDR abuse topic....but my mind has a hard time delineating the difference. Take Photomatrix....some look amazing....some just look so fake. Not to mention the pixelating by really changing the highlights and darks.
2002 Sonic Blue SVT #246 of 4788 cardomain.com/ride/2483606
- JRSC BBK - Exhaust - Intake - Suspension -
First Place 2007 Season SJR-SCCA Solo and 2007 Rookie of the Year SJR-SCCA #20 SM
Old 08-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #2965
lyonsroar

Who's to even say what a successfully edited photo looks like? I mean really...who sets the standard.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #2966
lyonsroar

As for HDR abuse...well...90% of what I post is hdr. A well done hdr (by my definition) just looks like a perfectly exposed photo.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #2967
StockTalon

Fan#: 94771
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 StockTalon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsroar View Post
As for HDR abuse...well...90% of what I post is hdr. A well done hdr (by my definition) just looks like a perfectly exposed photo.
This is 100% correct. A proper HDR will look un-edited and properly exposed with a much larger dynamic range.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #2968
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsroar View Post
There's nothing wrong with HDR; as you said, a properly done HDR photo looks like a perfectly exposed photo. It's just another means of reaching a successful end result.

Bad HDRs tend to look cartoonish and heavily edited, with unrealistic colors. You'll see halos around edges, whether they're dark or light.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #2969
speedracer ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85172
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue ST & 2003 SVT

FF Reputation: 2 speedracer ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
does this look to be over "HDR"? Im getting a full copy of lightroom and PS tomorrow finally so hopefully i can start doing editing to make my images look better and have more abilities. Im here to get advice!

Give Rep If You've Been Helped
Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #2970
lyonsroar

That lacks ANY of the hallmarks of HDR at all...

Bookmarks & Social Networks