Photographers Thread - Post your work - Page 19 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Photos & Camera Fanatics

Photos & Camera Fanatics Post your photoshop, photography artwork or camera tips and tricks here.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #181
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVT170 View Post
I think I just died a little bit when I read that....
Like I said I need a second job. One that has hours available and pays better than minimum wage. I'd assume they do... I printed out the application and it's an application for a local studio so I guess this is a local studio inside a JC Penney? Hell if I know...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #182
RSVT170
FocusRush

Fan#: 28451
What I Drive: '13 ST2 & '05 ZXW

Points 14,879, Level 79
Points: 14,879, Level: 79 Points: 14,879, Level: 79 Points: 14,879, Level: 79
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 42 RSVT170 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)

If you copyright it in the metadata, then you should be fine. Plus, fill in as much information in the metadata as possible that was if there is a copyright infringement, it's easier to track. Most people that steal photos and reuse them know nothing about metadata.

As for printing, the LARGE majority of place like walmart, costco, CVS and the photo printing kiosks won't print photos that are copyrighted this way.

I deal with digital files more than prints, so here is what I do

Charge for the shoot your minimum charge. For me it's $200 for an hour

Then I give options on how they get the files

CD1 - "View CD"
Basically a proof CD. The images are TINY, but large enough to make out on the screen. They can order individual prints, or buy the rights to an individual image. 72dpi and copyrighted.

CD2 - "View Share CD"
Larger version of the first one, but is large enough to send out to friends and family via e-mail or post up on something like facebook. The files are too small to print. 72dpi and Prints can be ordered individually.

DVD1 -"View Share Print"
Images in 300dpi and comes with a release for duplication for PERSONAL USE. This is good if you shoot something like senior portraits or a wedding. Then they can go out and print what ever sizes and how ever many they want. Still . Individual images available for licensing for publication.

DVD2 - "View Share Print Publish" or VSPP

On this DVD, they get the original unedited images as well as the enhanced versions. Comes with everything above and can be published via ONE medium. Ex: Can be published on a commercial website (once), can be used to make a flyer or advertisement (once). Additional licensing for multiple forms of use available at an additional $$.

Insert your own pricing scale, but keep in mind what you give up as the owner of the photos with each upgrade in CD/DVD
Old 06-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #183
RSVT170
FocusRush

Points 14,879, Level 79
Level Up 6% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsroar View Post
Like I said I need a second job. One that has hours available and pays better than minimum wage. I'd assume they do... I printed out the application and it's an application for a local studio so I guess this is a local studio inside a JC Penney? Hell if I know...
You gotta so what you gotta do. Just don't expect it to be a real photography job. Basically, you're a shutter button pusher and your the guy that gets to pose the subject. Everything else is pretty much setup. I've just seen some photographers go work there and they lose their passion for the art...

Just make sure you go out and do fun shoots on a regular basis to keep your eye fresh.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #184
lyonsroar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVT170 View Post

If you copyright it in the metadata, then you should be fine. Plus, fill in as much information in the metadata as possible that was if there is a copyright infringement, it's easier to track. Most people that steal photos and reuse them know nothing about metadata.

As for printing, the LARGE majority of place like walmart, costco, CVS and the photo printing kiosks won't print photos that are copyrighted this way.

I deal with digital files more than prints, so here is what I do

Charge for the shoot your minimum charge. For me it's $200 for an hour

Then I give options on how they get the files

CD1 - "View CD"
Basically a proof CD. The images are TINY, but large enough to make out on the screen. They can order individual prints, or buy the rights to an individual image. 72dpi and copyrighted.

CD2 - "View Share CD"
Larger version of the first one, but is large enough to send out to friends and family via e-mail or post up on something like facebook. The files are too small to print. 72dpi and Prints can be ordered individually.

DVD1 -"View Share Print"
Images in 300dpi and comes with a release for duplication for PERSONAL USE. This is good if you shoot something like senior portraits or a wedding. Then they can go out and print what ever sizes and how ever many they want. Still . Individual images available for licensing for publication.

DVD2 - "View Share Print Publish" or VSPP

On this DVD, they get the original unedited images as well as the enhanced versions. Comes with everything above and can be published via ONE medium. Ex: Can be published on a commercial website (once), can be used to make a flyer or advertisement (once). Additional licensing for multiple forms of use available at an additional $$.

Insert your own pricing scale, but keep in mind what you give up as the owner of the photos with each upgrade in CD/DVD
This is very helpful. I have read that there are programs out there where you can change metadata though. Couldn't someone just delete your copyright and name, company name, etc?

As for rate. I do not feel that I could command $200/ hour nor do I feel that there are people in my area willing to pay $200/ hour for automotive portraiture. What do you think I'm worth? $75/ hour? $50/ hour.
You've all seen my best work so give it to me straight here.

Also do you charge for editing time? As you've all seen I enjoy doing realistic HDR's, but they take between 10-15 minutes editing time each to get it perfect. Do I charge more for an HDR session vs a single exposure session or...
Old 06-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #185
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 35,900, Level 100
Points: 35,900, Level: 100 Points: 35,900, Level: 100 Points: 35,900, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Standard pricing for Custom on-location photography is between 175 - 375 ... to start at the 2 hour mark.

I am around 225 for a 2 hr gig. I also include minor PS ... meaning, a bit of color, some small blemishes that don't take me very long and small things in the background.

If they want me to make them some what skinner or take away major blemishes then I charge them another fee.

I also agree with RSVT170 about thinking about what you give to your clients. I for one, stopped doing CDs/DVDs a long time ago.

I know have an online web gallery customized per client and they go there, select there photos, decide on prints or just web files and then purchase via credit card. All online.

I for one, was just like you ages ago. I didn't think that people would pay those prices for me. But you have to sell yourself and they will. Custom Photography is an art that brings your clients best features out as oppose to a small studio at Sears/JCPenney ... that makes everyone the same.

Paying for custom work, people no their are getting Custom quality (High Quality). Plus these days, many many people believe in working with Small Biz peeps than a corporation. More personable, more connection and more options and flexibility to keep them comfortable.

For you: (If you are going to start pushing this as a part-time career)
I would start in that range. I would say 150-180 for a 2 hour on-location session with minor PS and proofs with your logo. If they don't want to pay that ... don't sell your self short. Once people catch on that you are like 50 bucks for a photographer ... let's say ... then you will become busy, but then when you start figuring gas costs, print costs, wear tear costs ... that 50 bucks an hour disappears so fast and you end up working for 2 dollars an hour with all said and done.

Again, you need to sell yourself. Need to have a place where people can view your photos and decide on your services.

Later on (after our AutoX today) I can find this pricing equation that another photographer gave me ... Excel Spreadsheet, that helps you understand where you should be at pricing wise if you are going to want to make this a successful investment.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #186
RSVT170
FocusRush

Points 14,879, Level 79
Level Up 6% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsroar View Post
This is very helpful. I have read that there are programs out there where you can change metadata though. Couldn't someone just delete your copyright and name, company name, etc?

As for rate. I do not feel that I could command $200/ hour nor do I feel that there are people in my area willing to pay $200/ hour for automotive portraiture. What do you think I'm worth? $75/ hour? $50/ hour.
You've all seen my best work so give it to me straight here.

Also do you charge for editing time? As you've all seen I enjoy doing realistic HDR's, but they take between 10-15 minutes editing time each to get it perfect. Do I charge more for an HDR session vs a single exposure session or...
No matter what you do, there is a chance that someone can steal your work. MOST people don't know how to get rid of the metadata. BUT, if someone does, and you come across it, you can EASILY take them to court. If they used it for publication/profit, you sir, have just become a very rich person. Copyright law is no joke and carries VERY HEAVY fines.

On another note, I charge $200 for the first 2 hours, Then 75 for each additional. Most gig's don't go past 2 hours. Then each disc has a different level of editing time into them and are priced accordingly.

As said, don't sell yourself short. Your photos are pretty good. Also, when you charge too little, you de-value our profession as a whole.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #187
mikebontoft
Derpy Cheetah

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,324, Level 93
Points: 23,324, Level: 93 Points: 23,324, Level: 93 Points: 23,324, Level: 93
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
As someone not going into professional photography (not anytime soon anyway. It's fun) I think it's neat you guys are sharing how you do things. It's an interesting read at the least and just helps me understand the way some things work.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 06-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #188
lyonsroar

Thanks for the advice guys.

Since I'm just starting out I think I'll price myself at $150/ 2 hour on location shoot including single exposures. And then charge more based on if the client wants HDR's or significant editing done to the photos. I will provide a CD (with or without watermarks depending on price.) What do you think is a good starting point for a CD of photos with watermarks? Without?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #189
RSVT170
FocusRush

Points 14,879, Level 79
Level Up 6% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
A proof CD for me ranges between $20 - $60

One thats larger with watermarks is about $150
Old 06-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #190
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 35,900, Level 100
Points: 35,900, Level: 100 Points: 35,900, Level: 100 Points: 35,900, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you want to make it even easier ... load up an online gallery ... with your stamp and photo numbers.

That way, it saves you on the small cost of CD/DVDs and driving time or postal.

Though small charges ... starting out, they add up.

@ mikebontoft - It's all about helping each other out. That's what I like to do.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.