FF S Model lags when you take off from a dead stop. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-24-2012, 03:03 AM   #1
Supramk3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96347
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver S 31.01.2012 BD

FF Reputation: 3 Supramk3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
FF S Model lags when you take off from a dead stop.

I tried searching for this exact thing, came up short. if someone knows of a thread, then please point me in the right direction.

But here is my complaint. So my '12 S Model is anything but quick off of the line and in some instances flat dangerous taking off. The only way I can get it to actually take off without falling flat on its face is to rev the engine up and drop the clutch. It literally feels like it wants to die if i try and do anything quick ( for fast merge onto the road). Sometimes you just can't baby it to merge, most of you know what I am talking about. And my complaint doesnt involve any extra input from the traction control or stability control systems. This is with zero wheel spin, it just acts like it has no power in the lower rpms.

So is there a simple fix to this? Is it a drivetrain problem that needs to be addressed with a Ford Service Tech? or am I just going to have to abuse my transmission and clutch and drop that bad boy spin my shoes to get up to par.

Thanks Fanatics, you guys are thurough and always a help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
Monkeygrits
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47691
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Monkeygrits Good Standing Member
My 2013 is no powerhouse by any means. I didnt expect it to be though. The powerband for these cars seems to kick in around 3500-4k. Is it stalling when u merge or feeling like its missing? Is it driving different from when you first bought it? Ive been impressed by how much power mine has for a 160 hp 4 cylinder . I was sold on the test drive when it held the cruise control speed on the big hills on the freeway effortlessly.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
Supramk3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeygrits View Post
My 2013 is no powerhouse by any means. I didnt expect it to be though. The powerband for these cars seems to kick in around 3500-4k. Is it stalling when u merge or feeling like its missing? Is it driving different from when you first bought it? Ive been impressed by how much power mine has for a 160 hp 4 cylinder . I was sold on the test drive when it held the cruise control speed on the big hills on the freeway effortlessly.
Like stated above, this is only from a dead stop if i go to take off quickly. I too am very impressed with what power this car has for a little 4 cylinder, i actually impress a lot of people with it and my top speed is proof of that. but its the take off from a dead stop that is sad to me. Im just not sure if its a problem or just how this car performs. do exhaust and intake systems overcome this?

and to answer your question if its changed from when i first got it, that would be a yes, it didnt do this before the car was "broke-in" in the first several thousand miles, i have 15000 miles on it since March 5th when I bought it with the 60 miles on it took to deliver it from another dealership.

Last edited by BLRich1; 12-26-2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: removed speed reference
Old 12-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
Boomertwo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96378
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 Boomertwo Good Standing Member
I've noticed this as well with my 2012 Focus S model when trying to merge.

Honestly though I think it is the traction/stability control regardless if the light turns on. I tried to take off from a dead stop and rev'ed the engine up to 3.5 to 4k RPM before dumping the clutch and I heard no wheel spin or tire squeal but I be damned I thought something cut the throttle back to protect the engine/transmission or clutch.

If we really want to push this car during these special cases I think we would have to disable the computer controls. I've entertained the thought of switching out the drive by wire system on the accelerator and going back to the old fashion cable system but that would require making a hole and replacing the accelerator pedal and throttle body on the engine. Not cheap or easy to do with a computerized car.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
OP...manual or automatic. What's your build date? I ask because there's a TSB for the manual transmission equipped Foci that you should definitely get if you in fact have a manual. Check this thread.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 12-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
elchupoopacabra
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94279
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 elchupoopacabra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
OP...manual or automatic. What's your build date? I ask because there's a TSB for the manual transmission equipped Foci that you should definitely get if you in fact have a manual. Check this thread.
I have a '12 SE Manual - and highly recommend bringing your car in for the TSB if it's eligible. I was experiencing the same issue, it would basically bog down and have no power if I tried starting quickly enough, or up a hill, etc.

After the TSB, I've had zero power issues at all from a stop. Perfect.

It also helped with "crawling speed" in parking lots a little as you feather on and off the gas (much less lurching, although it still exists).
Old 12-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
Supramk3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
As my signature states and being as i can pop my clutch... I indeed have a manual and was unaware of a TSB, is this covered under my warranty? and the only thing i can see on mu door jam is "01/12" under manufactor date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchupoopacabra View Post
I have a '12 SE Manual - and highly recommend bringing your car in for the TSB if it's eligible. I was experiencing the same issue, it would basically bog down and have no power if I tried starting quickly enough, or up a hill, etc.

After the TSB, I've had zero power issues at all from a stop. Perfect.

It also helped with "crawling speed" in parking lots a little as you feather on and off the gas (much less lurching, although it still exists).
Sounds exactly like my car.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Supramk3
Focus Enthusiast

Well just called my Service Dept, and made an appointment for Thursday, Decemember 26 at 8:00am for this exact TSB. My Service Rep knew exactly what I was talking about and its covered under warranty.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supramk3 View Post
As my signature states and being as i can pop my clutch... I indeed have a manual and was unaware of a TSB, is this covered under my warranty?
No need to be an ass. Man, it's Christmas AND I pointed you in the right direction. I didn't notice your sig and you can "pop" the clutches I'm sure with the DCT.

It has nothing to do with warranty. It's a technical service bulletin. When you call to make an appointment be sure to let them know that they probably won't be able to replicate it because it doesn't happen constantly, but it definitely happens. If you go to the right dealership they'll gladly do it without needing to road test or anything. I was having issues with a dealership not wanting to perform simple TSBs I requested and had to find a new dealership.

edit: You made you're appointment while I was typing this.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
Supramk3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
No need to be an ass. Man, it's Christmas AND I pointed you in the right direction. I didn't notice your sig and you can "pop" the clutches I'm sure with the DCT.

It has nothing to do with warranty. It's a technical service bulletin. When you call to make an appointment be sure to let them know that they probably won't be able to replicate it because it doesn't happen constantly, but it definitely happens. If you go to the right dealership they'll gladly do it without needing to road test or anything. I was having issues with a dealership not wanting to perform simple TSBs I requested and had to find a new dealership.

edit: You made you're appointment while I was typing this.

No intention of being an ass, my apologies if it came across as so. I appreciate your help

Bookmarks & Social Networks