2007 Focus Check Fuel Light and Service Engine Light - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
mwenk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85306
What I Drive: 2007 Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 1 mwenk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2007 Focus Check Fuel Light and Service Engine Light

So a few days ago, the check fuel cap light came on. I did what the light said, checked it and it was tight. This was about three days or so after my last fill up. I reseated the cap and went on, the light stayed on.

The next day the service engine light came on, so I did some research, and found a post on here, I did what it said, I checked and reseated the cap, and then cleared the code by disconnecting the battery.

The next day after that all was OK. Now today the service engine light came on w/o the check fuel cap light.

I had a similar problem a number of years ago on a Toyota and I just ended up replacing the gas cap and never had the problem again.

My current plan is to do that, replace the cap, reset the computer, and see if that has a problem. My concern/question comes from the second time only the service engine light came on and not the check fuel cap. Do I need to be worried about this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The "Check fuel cap" light is usually for large leaks in the EVAP system. There are also DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) for large leaks such as the two below, for example. You should also read the codes before clearing them just to make sure the DTC isn't indicating another problem with a completely unrelated system. Some parts stores will read trouble codes for free, I've heard.

P0455 - EVAP Control System Leak Detected (No Purge Flow or Large Leak)
The PCM monitors the complete EVAP control system for no purge flow, the presence of a large fuel vapor leak or multiple small fuel vapor leaks. The system failure occurs when no purge flow (attributed to fuel vapor blockages or restrictions), a large fuel vapor leak or multiple fuel vapor leaks are detected by the EVAP running loss monitor test with the engine running (but not at idle).
After-market EVAP hardware (such as fuel filler cap) non-conforming to required specifications
Disconnected or cracked fuel EVAP canister tube, EVAP canister purge outlet tube or EVAP return tube
EVAP canister purge valve stuck closed
Damaged EVAP canister
Damaged or missing fuel filler cap
Insufficient fuel filler cap installation
Loose fuel vapor hose/tube connections to EVAP system components
Blockages or restrictions in fuel vapor hoses/tubes (items also listed under disconnections or cracks)
Fuel vapor control valve tube assembly or fuel vapor vent valve assembly blocked
Canister vent (CV) solenoid stuck open
Mechanically inoperative fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor
Check for audible vacuum noise or significant fuel odor in the engine compartment or near the EVAP canister and fuel tank.

P0457 - EVAP Control System Leak Detected (Fuel Filler Cap Loose/Off)
A fuel tank pressure change greater than a minus (-) 7 inches of H 2 0 in 30 seconds has occurred after refueling; or there is excessive purge (fuel vapor) flow greater than 0.06 pounds per minute.
Fuel filler cap not installed on refueling (storing continuous memory DTC) and "check Fuel Cap" light may also be illuminated.
Fuel filler cap missing, loose or cross-threaded.
Check for missing fuel filler cap or integrity of the cap. If OK, clear continuous memory DTCs and re-initiate EVAP Emission Running Loss Monitor Drive Cycle.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
Some parts stores will read trouble codes for free, I've heard.
This is another reason i decided to get a tune as my second upgrade so that i have a tool that reads codes. Ide rather check myself then risk driving to a parts store to read the problem and maybe risk breaking down on the way there.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
mwenk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85306
What I Drive: 2007 Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 1 mwenk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
This is another reason i decided to get a tune as my second upgrade so that i have a tool that reads codes. Ide rather check myself then risk driving to a parts store to read the problem and maybe risk breaking down on the way there.
It is funny you mention this. Apparently in CA, it is illegal to read the code for free. It sucks. I almost did buy a reader, but I can count the times Ive had a service engine light on one hand. And only once did it actually mean something. I respect the light, but I know it can light for the silliest of reasons.

I ended up getting the code read at Jiffy Lube and while high priced, it was cheapest I could find.

The code found was P0455. I'm guessing from reading above that this meshes with what I've seen.

One other bit of evidence - When I refueled yesterday, I found when I put the gas cap back on and tightened it to when it clicked, it was loose, and wiggled fairly freely. I can't say I've really checked the cap on the focus often, but in my experience pressure bearing caps should not wiggle like that.

So my plan of attack is to get a new cap, figure out how to get the "don't lose me" strap off, install the new cap, and reset the code.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hello mwenk,

This is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. Have you brought your vehicle in to your dealer to have it diagnosed? If not, please contact your dealer as soon as possible. Also, I would like to see how I can help as well. Please message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info.

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks