Best ways to add more bottom end to our MK3? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Von551
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115392
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Von551 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Best ways to add more bottom end to our MK3?

I did the snorkel delete, just need to buy a K&N drop-in still. I think that will help. I want to make my car more snappy off the bottom from stops or slow corners. Will a cat-back help? Chip-tuning? CAI? Looking for answers from others who have already tuned their cars to gain more bottom end. The mid and top end of this car is great, it's just so bogged at the bottom under 3,000 RPM's. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Tjrommel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114674
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford white Sedan 5M

FF Reputation: 1 Tjrommel Good Standing Member
E focus rmm helps a lot, it removed slack. Cai just sounds cool (top end gains), same with exhaust) best bet is to get 4 more cylinders ;-). Joking aside, the bottom end is there, the environmental nuts at ford made it limp the save gas. Being said, it's all a throttle response issue; with that being said, I suggest you purchase the injected engineering tune and it will make you smile as the lag is virtually gone (I don't have it, I am only going by what I have read)
Old 08-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
The K&N drop in filter has been wonderful and if you drive it in the same fashion before, should get the same mpg. It did help a bit on the lag if not got rid most of it. 4cly NA 2L and less tend to not have a lot of torque in low rpms. I've seen this across many different cars and smaller 4cly engines. So ya, a turbo IS the answer but not practical building it up from scratch (when you'd just have bought an ST).

What WILL improve low end torque is being able to adjust/control your cams (both). So really, having the intake cam having a lot of advance timing will give you more low end torque. You could physically advance your cams but it would be picked up by the cam position sensor and have the engine retard timing for safety.

More to come on this!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Some from good ol' wikipedia :) to come (needs to be formatted!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Valve_Timing
Old 08-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

better: http://www.compcams.com/catalog/COMP...log_2012_8.pdf
Old 08-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
XlarXlar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111735
What I Drive: 2013 PB Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 2 XlarXlar Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjrommel View Post
E focus rmm helps a lot, it removed slack. Cai just sounds cool (top end gains), same with exhaust) best bet is to get 4 more cylinders ;-). Joking aside, the bottom end is there, the environmental nuts at ford made it limp the save gas. Being said, it's all a throttle response issue; with that being said, I suggest you purchase the injected engineering tune and it will make you smile as the lag is virtually gone (I don't have it, I am only going by what I have read)
I second this ^. I have the Injected Tune and it has made quite the difference to the responsiveness of the throttle and the lag in the bottom end is basically gone. I have the E focus rmm but haven't gotten an opportunity to install it yet but I have heard the same things as what Tjrommel is saying.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Oh, as others have mentioned, I believe the best overall gains with zero cutting/non-reversable modding is the K&N drop in and removing the snorkel and diverting the lower air duct right up to the inlet (I had used a old license plate!). Then just use higher octane gas. You'll most likely net a few more mpg and decent HP/tq increase for not a lot more $$ (for me, around $4-7 more for premium gas per full tank).
Old 08-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Seriously, just get the tune and thank those that suggested it later. You'll see the most noticeable gain in what you seek out of all the suggestions in this thread.
Hatch Nation#24 168whp 153wtq
Old 08-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
XlarXlar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111735
What I Drive: 2013 PB Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 2 XlarXlar Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadworthy View Post
Oh, as others have mentioned, I believe the best overall gains with zero cutting/non-reversable modding is the K&N drop in and removing the snorkel and diverting the lower air duct right up to the inlet (I had used a old license plate!). Then just use higher octane gas. You'll most likely net a few more mpg and decent HP/tq increase for not a lot more $$ (for me, around $4-7 more for premium gas per full tank).
If you're not running premium I would definitely do that. It may take it 2 or 3 tanks to fully adjust. See this thread for what others thought: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274381
Old 08-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Von551
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115392
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Von551 Good Standing Member
thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to do the SCT tune from Tom, already talking to him. I'll do the K&N drop-in as well. I'd like to do a Steeda intake, but I don't think they're CARB legal (I'm in California) and I like having a sleeper that's faster than it sounds. I started running 91 octane a 1,000 miles ago and seem to be feeling the difference now.
Thanks!

Last edited by Von551; 08-03-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks