No Radiator Fan After Thermo Replacement - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
sokratz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85287
What I Drive: 2002 ford focus zx5

FF Reputation: 1 sokratz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
No Radiator Fan After Thermo Replacement

Howdy,
I'm having some technical issues here.
Few days ago I noticed that the wife's car was leaking anti freeze. Looked like it was coming from the thermo housing. Saw a nice guide and video on how to replace and I drained it and swapped it out tonight with an all-in-one jobber:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0420&ppt=C0331

So I filled the coolant back up (just pour it in the reservoir until it was at max?) and waited for the fan to kick on. Temp sensor in the car climbs to I'd say 47% and stick there. Fan never turn on. Took it for a quick spin and still no fan. Kind of worried that something is amiss.

Now I can't be certain that the fan was working prior to the coolant leak. Heck perhaps it overheated and that's what caused the housing to crack (it was completely shot) but I'm pretty sure that the stupid fan is supposed to kick in.

Bad new thermostat maybe or something stupid I did?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
deezx5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72153
What I Drive: 2011 Gray Hyundai Elantra GLS

FF Reputation: 3 deezx5 Good Standing Member
Oreilly sells the housing now, nice I guess they realized that every Zetec housing breaks at some point. The fan resistor failing is another common problem. Easy test does the fan work when the AC is on? If it does work with AC on and not with ac off then then pull out the fan resistor and check wiring harness right in the top center of the fans. If the harness is burnt and crusty it needs to be replaced, same with resistor. Both are easy to do with little to no tools required.

Hopefully thats your problem its an easy fix.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

Points 4,499, Level 42
Points: 4,499, Level: 42 Points: 4,499, Level: 42 Points: 4,499, Level: 42
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
^^^ That's good advice - checking 'fans on' with 'A/C on', if you have A/C.

What you may want to consider doing also is verifying that you get to the temp where the fans should come on. You can check your CH temp with the instrument cluster test mode by using the 'odometer reset button'.
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
sokratz
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezx5 View Post
Oreilly sells the housing now, nice I guess they realized that every Zetec housing breaks at some point. The fan resistor failing is another common problem. Easy test does the fan work when the AC is on? If it does work with AC on and not with ac off then then pull out the fan resistor and check wiring harness right in the top center of the fans. If the harness is burnt and crusty it needs to be replaced, same with resistor. Both are easy to do with little to no tools required.

Hopefully thats your problem its an easy fix.
Her AC is busted ;( The evaporator has a leak. Not sure if that would matter in this point though. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
sokratz
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_2000_se View Post
^^^ That's good advice - checking 'fans on' with 'A/C on', if you have A/C.

What you may want to consider doing also is verifying that you get to the temp where the fans should come on. You can check your CH temp with the instrument cluster test mode by using the 'odometer reset button'.
Can you be more specific on that? I'm not exactly sure how to do that. Thanks!!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 26,975, Level 97
Points: 26,975, Level: 97 Points: 26,975, Level: 97 Points: 26,975, Level: 97
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokratz View Post
Her AC is busted ;( The evaporator has a leak. Not sure if that would matter in this point though. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!
OK, well there is another way to do it.

The fans in these cars don't come on until the car is extremely hot- regardless of what the temp gauge reads. It is possible that you have problems there as that's common with Zetec engines especially those who've removed the heat shield. Drive around, drive hard, then pull over somewhere and pop the hood. The fan should come on- however if the ambient temps are low- it might not. You can also turn the engine off when you stop, wait to the count of 3, and turn the key to ON. That will give latent temps time to heat the engine further.

To get the fans to come on, you have to trick the AC system into thinking you have a charge. Step1: unplug the AC compressor. There's a plug just behind the pulley. Be sure to tuck it back away from the pulley and belt. Step 2: find the low pressure switch located in the passenger fender, under the headlamp, in the accumulator. Unplug this switch, now use a piece of solid wire to bridge the two pins on the electrical connector. Step 3: Check your work before taping the LP bridge in place by turning the key and AC ON. The fan should run. If not then the problem is either the bridging wire on the LP switch, or you have electrical problems associated with the AC system along with your low charge (if that's what it is).

At the top of the Tech chat forum is the "General AC Troubleshooting and Repair" which has some pictures of the location of those parts. All 00-08 Foci have the parts in the same places regardless of engine or compressor placement.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
sokratz
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Can you be more specific on that? I'm not exactly sure how to do that. Thanks!!

Actually found the procedure on focushacks. Any idea what temp the fans should kick in on?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
sokratz
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Actually found the procedure on focushacks. Any idea what temp the fans should kick in on?

Thanks!
Wow so i beat the heck out of it and couldn't get it to go over 85C on the highway. Then brought it home and let it idle for 20 mins. got to to 110C and the fan kicked right on. brought it to 106C and quit. Do these things just run that hot??
Old 04-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
deezx5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72153
What I Drive: 2011 Gray Hyundai Elantra GLS

FF Reputation: 3 deezx5 Good Standing Member
Yeah around 230F sounds right if my memory is any good. I remember testing the fan resistor to be a pain too since the fan never runs at highway speed due to moving air.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
sokratz
Focus Rookie

Well thanks guys. I guess it was just me being stupid but it's the best outcome ;)

Bookmarks & Social Networks