Ask a Ford salesman anything (Incentives, Inventory, etc) - Page 163 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson)

Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson) Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.
Sponsored By: Phil Long Ford - Colorado's #1 Ford Dealer


Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #1621
slvelocity
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103039
Location: San Francisco, CA
What I Drive: 2000 Tacoma Green

Posts: 3
FF Reputation: 1 slvelocity Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi guys,

I'm on the verge of purchasing a 2012 Focus and just wanted to fill in any gaps I missed in doing my hw in buying this car.

I'm interested in a 2012 red SE HB auto with no other options. I'm going to finance with $0 down (unless there is an incentive to finance through Ford credit) and will talk to a credit union soon. I've been using truecar.com per the recommendations from some other posts I've seen on this forum already and found the following prices:

MSRP: 20,190
Invoice: 19,466
Average Price Paid in my area: 17,318 (After $2k rebates)

So other than the $2k rebate, I think I'm also eligible for the $500 student discount (I'm a full time grad student). I've read that there is also a down payment matching, where Ford will match your down payment amount up to $500? Also, are there any extra incentives for financing through ford credit, a $500 credit I read somewhere? Not military. Any other incentives I may be eligible for that I'm missing?

I've been quoted $15,715 (including destination and the $1500 rebate, but not TTL or any of the other incentives) for the Focus S so that gave me a number to play around in my head. After doing some more research since I got the quote, I found out about the extra $500 rebate on SE's and decided I'm going to try my hardest to get a SE HB on my limited student budget during this clearance event.

So MSRP is telling me there is ~$2k difference between the SE hatch and S. Add in the extra $500 you get from the SE rebate and that's a $1.5k difference. Based on this, I'm thinking the dealership that quoted me $15,715 for the Focus S will be willing to settle on $17,200 on a SE HB; take off another $500 for the student discount = $16,700.

After all is said and done I'm hoping for OTD price of ~$18k, though I'm going to offer $17 - 17.5 to see which dealerships will bite first.

The ultimate question is: did I miss anything? Is my rationale and math correct? Should I offer any lower or am I lowballing too hard already? Is any $ over the invoice price basically the only profit for the dealer?

Thanks in advance!
slvelocity is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #1622
imccrea
FF Affiliate
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85212
Location: Aurora, CO
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus hatch SGM

Posts: 1,012
FF Reputation: 6 imccrea Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvelocity View Post
Hi guys,

I'm on the verge of purchasing a 2012 Focus and just wanted to fill in any gaps I missed in doing my hw in buying this car.

I'm interested in a 2012 red SE HB auto with no other options. I'm going to finance with $0 down (unless there is an incentive to finance through Ford credit) and will talk to a credit union soon. I've been using truecar.com per the recommendations from some other posts I've seen on this forum already and found the following prices:

MSRP: 20,190
Invoice: 19,466
Average Price Paid in my area: 17,318 (After $2k rebates)

So other than the $2k rebate, I think I'm also eligible for the $500 student discount (I'm a full time grad student). I've read that there is also a down payment matching, where Ford will match your down payment amount up to $500? Also, are there any extra incentives for financing through ford credit, a $500 credit I read somewhere? Not military. Any other incentives I may be eligible for that I'm missing?

I've been quoted $15,715 (including destination and the $1500 rebate, but not TTL or any of the other incentives) for the Focus S so that gave me a number to play around in my head. After doing some more research since I got the quote, I found out about the extra $500 rebate on SE's and decided I'm going to try my hardest to get a SE HB on my limited student budget during this clearance event.

So MSRP is telling me there is ~$2k difference between the SE hatch and S. Add in the extra $500 you get from the SE rebate and that's a $1.5k difference. Based on this, I'm thinking the dealership that quoted me $15,715 for the Focus S will be willing to settle on $17,200 on a SE HB; take off another $500 for the student discount = $16,700.

After all is said and done I'm hoping for OTD price of ~$18k, though I'm going to offer $17 - 17.5 to see which dealerships will bite first.

The ultimate question is: did I miss anything? Is my rationale and math correct? Should I offer any lower or am I lowballing too hard already? Is any $ over the invoice price basically the only profit for the dealer?

Thanks in advance!
I can't find the MSRP of the vehicle you're looking at but found a 203A SE sport pkg manual for $20,075 which is close enough for comparision.

Invoice is $19,113 less the $2,000 rebate and $500 for college student and you're at $16,613 plus tax and fees. If I remember right California has pretty high tax so you might be able to get to $18,000 OTD but it's hard to say without knowing all the info. I think your offer is right at invoice if not slightly below, most dealers would take it but $17,000 I would pass personally.
__________________
Ford Internet Director
Glad to help anyone
---------------------------
Ira McCrea
Phone: 970-667-2220
E-mail: iram@loveford.com
imccrea is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #1623
slvelocity
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103039
Location: San Francisco, CA
What I Drive: 2000 Tacoma Green

Posts: 3
FF Reputation: 1 slvelocity Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hey Ira,

Thanks for the quick response. If you don't mind, can you explain a bit how your margins and profits are counted as a dealer? Is it anything above invoice? Just trying to understand why 17k otd may work for some dealers but not yourself.

Oh and tax is 8.35 here. I estimated 1.5k to be TTL.
slvelocity is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #1624
imccrea
FF Affiliate
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85212
Location: Aurora, CO
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus hatch SGM

Posts: 1,012
FF Reputation: 6 imccrea Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvelocity View Post
Hey Ira,

Thanks for the quick response. If you don't mind, can you explain a bit how your margins and profits are counted as a dealer? Is it anything above invoice? Just trying to understand why 17k otd may work for some dealers but not yourself.

Oh and tax is 8.35 here. I estimated 1.5k to be TTL.
Most dealers will take invoice less holdback and if they are below that number more than likely they will not take the deal. Same can be said for if they have to trade for it from another dealer. Sometimes they cannot trade they have to buy it and we lose holdback so we are in it for invoice plus shipping.
I get paid off anything above invoice, not holdback so you buy it for invoice I get a slap on the back and $100 and I move onto the next deal. Don't get me wrong we do deals like this all the time but we are a 'for profit' company so no goodwill here.
__________________
Ford Internet Director
Glad to help anyone
---------------------------
Ira McCrea
Phone: 970-667-2220
E-mail: iram@loveford.com
imccrea is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #1625
slvelocity
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103039
Location: San Francisco, CA
What I Drive: 2000 Tacoma Green

Posts: 3
FF Reputation: 1 slvelocity Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks Ira, that clears things up a bit. So if salesman only get paid for any difference above invoice, whats their incentive to sell it at invoice less holdback? Is the holdback for the focus I mentioned ~$600? (I used MSRP x 3%, but didn't include destination fee).

Also, are you aware of any leasing incentives or down payment matching from dealerships right now? I punched my zip code in the ford website but I don't see anything like that popping up, though I see people mentioning it here.
slvelocity is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #1626
bakedpatato
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103065
Location: Los Angeles, CA
What I Drive: 2001 Porcshe 911

Posts: 2
FF Reputation: 1 bakedpatato Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hey imccrea;
I'm trying to play how low can I go with these two Focuses: SEL 5 door with 301A, no other cost options and a SEL 5 door with 303A and the cargo management package,no other cost options.
The offers I got are $21,512 for the former and $22,095 for the latter(different dealerships).

I'm planning to finance via FMC, my family has a lease with Hyundai, i'm a first time buyer,I'm military but I haven't graduated college yet. I'm in california, Los Angeles county.
So my questions are:
How much lower can I go for both cars? Build dates show that they've been sitting around for 2-3 months...
The dealer told me that I can't combine competitive lease and down payment match,is that true?
If I go for the 303A equipped model, do you think I would be able to convince the dealer to keep the cargo management package(yeah it's $115 but I would rather not pay that much for a bunch of cubbies)?

Last edited by bakedpatato; 08-26-2012 at 04:37 PM.
bakedpatato is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #1627
imccrea
FF Affiliate
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85212
Location: Aurora, CO
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus hatch SGM

Posts: 1,012
FF Reputation: 6 imccrea Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakedpatato View Post
Hey imccrea;
I'm trying to play how low can I go with these two Focuses: SEL 5 door with 301A, no other cost options and a SEL 5 door with 303A and the cargo management package,no other cost options.
The offers I got are $21,512 for the former and $22,095 for the latter(different dealerships).

I'm planning to finance via FMC, my family has a lease with Hyundai, i'm a first time buyer,I'm military but I haven't graduated college yet. I'm in california, Los Angeles county.
So my questions are:
How much lower can I go for both cars? Build dates show that they've been sitting around for 2-3 months...
The dealer told me that I can't combine competitive lease and down payment match,is that true?
If I go for the 303A equipped model, do you think I would be able to convince the dealer to keep the cargo management package(yeah it's $115 but I would rather not pay that much for a bunch of cubbies)?
a 301A has a MSRP of $21,700 if you have the $2,000 rebate the most you can combine in rebates would add up to $2,500 (pick either military, comp lease, college). You can't remove options on a vehicle that is already built, I would think the 301A could be purchased for $20,700 before incentives and the 303A would be $23,100 before the incentives.
__________________
Ford Internet Director
Glad to help anyone
---------------------------
Ira McCrea
Phone: 970-667-2220
E-mail: iram@loveford.com
imccrea is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #1628
imccrea
FF Affiliate
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85212
Location: Aurora, CO
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus hatch SGM

Posts: 1,012
FF Reputation: 6 imccrea Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvelocity View Post
Thanks Ira, that clears things up a bit. So if salesman only get paid for any difference above invoice, whats their incentive to sell it at invoice less holdback? Is the holdback for the focus I mentioned ~$600? (I used MSRP x 3%, but didn't include destination fee).

Also, are you aware of any leasing incentives or down payment matching from dealerships right now? I punched my zip code in the ford website but I don't see anything like that popping up, though I see people mentioning it here.
Just to sell a car, I rather sell a car and get a unit count than they buy from my competition. Lease incentives are $250 currently, no payment matching or anything unless you are a first time buyer.
__________________
Ford Internet Director
Glad to help anyone
---------------------------
Ira McCrea
Phone: 970-667-2220
E-mail: iram@loveford.com
imccrea is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #1629
bakedpatato
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103065
Location: Los Angeles, CA
What I Drive: 2001 Porcshe 911

Posts: 2
FF Reputation: 1 bakedpatato Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imccrea View Post
a 301A has a MSRP of $21,700 if you have the $2,000 rebate the most you can combine in rebates would add up to $2,500 (pick either military, comp lease, college). You can't remove options on a vehicle that is already built, I would think the 301A could be purchased for $20,700 before incentives and the 303A would be $23,100 before the incentives.
Eh, I was hoping I would get at least $3K in incentives. Oh well. I was hoping to be under $20k OTD for the 301A(I guess I could if I could convince him to part with it for $20,600 or so...this guy has 3 of these 301A 5doors!). Thanks though!

And the sticker shows the MSRP at $21,300, perhaps prices are a bit different in CO? ($21,300+$1170 for 301A +$795 dest -$570 for sync/equip =$22,695 MSRP)
bakedpatato is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #1630
imccrea
FF Affiliate
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85212
Location: Aurora, CO
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus hatch SGM

Posts: 1,012
FF Reputation: 6 imccrea Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakedpatato View Post
Eh, I was hoping I would get at least $3K in incentives. Oh well. I was hoping to be under $20k OTD for the 301A(I guess I could if I could convince him to part with it for $20,600 or so...this guy has 3 of these 301A 5doors!). Thanks though!

And the sticker shows the MSRP at $21,300, perhaps prices are a bit different in CO? ($21,300+$1170 for 301A +$795 dest -$570 for sync/equip =$22,695 MSRP)
that is base MSRP before any options, $21,700 is what I consider a happy deal based on invoice. Pricing is consistant unless it's an old build car.

Top line MSRP is $23,265
factory discounts are $570 bringing it down to $22,695 for a base 301A.
__________________
Ford Internet Director
Glad to help anyone
---------------------------
Ira McCrea
Phone: 970-667-2220
E-mail: iram@loveford.com
imccrea is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.