2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far? - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #61
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuzzyArchon View Post
I have the exact same issue, some sort of grinding noise. I can not get the car to make the noise when using the select shift buttons.

I have to have ac off and obviously radio off to be able to hear it.

How many miles do you have? I just hit 700. The car feels perfect and shifts exceptionally well but there is certainly this noise.
Left my car with Landmark Ford today. Took a ride with a service guy, he heard the noise and said he did not think it was normal. Got a call from the service dept. just now saying they don't know what is causing it and they want to talk to a couple of Ford engineers about it and get back to me tomorrow.

While I'm relieved to hear they agree there is a problem, I'm a little concerned the only option will be to replace the transmission and they will have the car for weeks while they obtain the part and replace it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #62
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
Ford thoroughly tested the car and the transmission. Their is no problem, and it is just how the dual-clutch transmission works during the break in period.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #63
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEREKC View Post
Ford thoroughly tested the car and the transmission. Their is no problem, and it is just how the dual-clutch transmission works during the break in period.
Well, all I can say is clearly my dealer's service dept. doesn't think so.

Just to be clear this is not a fluttering or stuttering when starting from a stop. It is a grinding noise when the transmission shifts.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #64
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertiger View Post
Left my car with Landmark Ford today. Took a ride with a service guy, he heard the noise and said he did not think it was normal. Got a call from the service dept. just now saying they don't know what is causing it and they want to talk to a couple of Ford engineers about it and get back to me tomorrow.

While I'm relieved to hear they agree there is a problem, I'm a little concerned the only option will be to replace the transmission and they will have the car for weeks while they obtain the part and replace it.
Let us know how it goes. I've never taken a car to Landmark for service. I've had good luck with Damerow in Beaverton though.

Tony
Old 06-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #65
BigFuzzyArchon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87167
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 BigFuzzyArchon Good Standing Member
I am very curious to see how it goes. I am going on a long road trip with my car, probably 9000-10000 miles next month. If it is still making the noise when I get back I will bring it in when I get the oil changed.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #66
cchaos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86214
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 cchaos Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by privateergm View Post
Our SE Sport 5 Dr should be arriving next week. My wife the Hondaphile has been telling me all about the Trans problems and that we should stay away from this car and get her a Civic. I have owned small Fords all the way back to my 80 Cruising Wagon, and they have all performed well and all have gotten way over 100,000 miles. Looks like she will be driving the 05 ZXW a few extra weeks while I break this one in, otherwise I can hear the Wife griping for the next 5 years. My daughter then gets the 05 when my '12 Fiesta comes in this the fall.
The August issue of C&D magazine pits the 2012 Honda Civic against the 2012 Focus, and the Focus comes out on top. The reviewer says the new civic feels sluggish compared to the Focus.

Quote:
Our winner nearly matches the fuel economy of the Civic while providing one-class-up levels of refinement and driving dynamics.... It is now our undisputed compact car of choice.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #67
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86083
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 CoasterDan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by descentgate View Post
Just took a road trip, and it does seem that you do need to have the accelerator planted more to maintain speeds over 70 mph. I could easily coast in the 60-69mph range with some light pumps on the throttle.

Bring the speed down to 55-65 and I've rocked 41 mpg averages with some good coasting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchaos View Post
The August issue of C&D magazine pits the 2012 Honda Civic against the 2012 Focus, and the Focus comes out on top. The reviewer says the new civic feels sluggish compared to the Focus.
C&D also wrote this, about the Focus' transmission: "We now find ourselves writing again about the lethargic starts, clunking noises, slow upshifts, and harried downshifts of Fordís dual-clutch automatic. At least the Ford gearbox has six speeds.

The transmission tuning seems completely out of step with the rest of the Focus."

My transmission seems to be better with miles; I don't know how many miles the C&D car had on it.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #68
jagdrago
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86195
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver, Sedan SEL

FF Reputation: 1 jagdrago Good Standing Member
I have about 1600 miles on my Focus and I feel the shudder very occasionally, of course I had a 06' Nissan Altima 2.5s with Auto and let me tell you that the Powershift is by far the smoother of the two trannys. On the Nissan if you slammed to the floor from about 20 or so the car would feel almost like it was coming to a stop, then slam you against the seat as it took off. the Focus doesn't do that its more of a smooth transition, that being said you can confuse the Powershift and make it look for the next gear and if you do that while acelerating from a low speed to a higher speed you can cause the shuddering or vice versa comming from a series of quick manuvers to a slow down or stop can cause it to shudder. I have experience both, that said I still like the powershift over the traditional auto
Old 06-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #69
Joe Schmoe
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 56990
What I Drive: Change.

FF Reputation: 1 Joe Schmoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasterDan View Post
C&D also wrote this, about the Focus' transmission: "We now find ourselves writing again about the lethargic starts, clunking noises, slow upshifts, and harried downshifts of Ford’s dual-clutch automatic. At least the Ford gearbox has six speeds.
We test drove the 2012 a few days ago (essentially zero miles on it) and paid close attention to the transmission. The slow starts are what I noticed first. Anything less than near 50% throttle and you're not going anywhere fast. It's hard to tell what's happening here...can't tell if the ECU is being soft on the throttle opening for fuel economy, or if the transmission is slipping the clutch, or some combination. But give it some gas and you move away at a decent clip - the 1st gear process in the transmission seems to wake up, move more quickly and behave like I would want it to. Otherwise I could find no real fault in it...no jerking, no clunking, no shuddering. I'm sure you can confuse it given the bazillions of scenarios people can throw at it, but we didn't experience that.

I didn't floor it...it will be someone else's new car and I can't bring myself to beat on it just 'cuz it's not mine.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #70
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateergm View Post
Our SE Sport 5 Dr should be arriving next week. My wife the Hondaphile has been telling me all about the Trans problems and that we should stay away from this car and get her a Civic. I have owned small Fords all the way back to my 80 Cruising Wagon, and they have all performed well and all have gotten way over 100,000 miles. Looks like she will be driving the 05 ZXW a few extra weeks while I break this one in, otherwise I can hear the Wife griping for the next 5 years. My daughter then gets the 05 when my '12 Fiesta comes in this the fall.
I'd probably think this was more humorous if I wasn't in the same position. My wife thinks Hondas are God's gift. Also wanted a Civic, no amount of reviews, specs, etc was going to change her mind. Even if this problem turns out to be a simple fix I'll hear about for 5 years. If it turns out to be a major issue, I'll be lucky if I don't hear about it after I'm dead. Good natured teasing of course . . . but I could do with out the "I told you to get a Honda!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuzzyArchon View Post
I am very curious to see how it goes. I am going on a long road trip with my car, probably 9000-10000 miles next month. If it is still making the noise when I get back I will bring it in when I get the oil changed.
My wife and I are (were) planning on driving ours to Chicago next week. I was torn between putting it in the shop now and waiting until we returned. Decided I didn't want to risk being on the side of the road in the middle of South Dakota. Not that there's anything wrong with South Dakota.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct, powershift