2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far? - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #51
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86083
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 CoasterDan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That's good information. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #52
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Transmission

Posted this in another thread but thought it might be relevant here as well:

i've been noticing a low rumbling, i guess you would call it grinding noise from the transmission. it's like a very low ratcheting sound when it shifts from 1st to 2nd especially, then whenever the car is going 35 or so mph and the rpms are around 1500 to 2000. if i step on the gas and jump up the rpms it seems to go away or if i take my foot off the gas.

i wonder if this problem (if it is a problem) is much more widespread but most people just don't hear it. i have to have the windows down and then it helps to be next to a building or center lane divider or something so the sound has something to echo off of.

otherwise no problems other than some rattling in dash on rough roads. sync works fine so far.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #53
Bigbot45
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87124
What I Drive: 2014 Q50 - Formally 2012 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Bigbot45 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertiger View Post

i've been noticing a low rumbling, i guess you would call it grinding noise from the transmission. it's like a very low ratcheting sound when it shifts from 1st to 2nd especially, then whenever the car is going 35 or so mph and the rpms are around 1500 to 2000. if i step on the gas and jump up the rpms it seems to go away or if i take my foot off the gas.

i wonder if this problem (if it is a problem) is much more widespread but most people just don't hear it. i have to have the windows down and then it helps to be next to a building or center lane divider or something so the sound has something to echo off of.

otherwise no problems other than some rattling in dash on rough roads. sync works fine so far.
When I drove the Jetta, the only noise I would ever hear when I had the radio off and the windows open was a nice, satisfying "thunk" everytime the car shifted. Grinding of gears would tell me that something in the gear pre-selection is probably not right. Remember, when the car is in first gear, the other transmission rod already has 2nd gear selected; so there should be no "grinding" as it changes from one output shaft to the other.
The slight vibration every one feels when coming to a stop is normal. Just think of it as person slipping the clutch; if they could do it to millimeter precision.
1990 Mazda Protege <-- 1986 Subaru GL-10 Turbo
1986 Volvo 240 DL
Old 06-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #54
cchaos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86214
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 cchaos Good Standing Member
My transmission has gotten surprisingly smooth over the last week. It seems like once I passed 1700 miles everything worked itself out. Everything has been working perfectly over the last week (even MFT).

I did have regular instances when under 1000 miles and a few more instances up through around 1600 where the auto-shifting would get really awkward, sometimes jolting the vehicle in lower gears. Like others have said, if you keep your foot on the gas peddle it helps while you break-in the transmission.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #55
BigFuzzyArchon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87167
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 BigFuzzyArchon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertiger View Post

I have the exact same issue, some sort of grinding noise. I can not get the car to make the noise when using the select shift buttons.

I have to have ac off and obviously radio off to be able to hear it.

How many miles do you have? I just hit 700. The car feels perfect and shifts exceptionally well but there is certainly this noise.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #56
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It's a car, they make noise...if you have to turn off everything, put your head out the window and tell the neighbor to stop breathing to hear it, it may not be an issue...
Old 06-26-2011, 02:01 AM   #57
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuzzyArchon View Post
I have the exact same issue, some sort of grinding noise. I can not get the car to make the noise when using the select shift buttons.

I have to have ac off and obviously radio off to be able to hear it.

How many miles do you have? I just hit 700. The car feels perfect and shifts exceptionally well but there is certainly this noise.
I just hit 1000 miles. I'm getting the oil changed next week and I'll have the dealer look at it. Never used the select shift so I don't know if it still does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
It's a car, they make noise...if you have to turn off everything, put your head out the window and tell the neighbor to stop breathing to hear it, it may not be an issue...
I'd agree if it was a rattle in the dash or a squeak from some unknowm place, but a grinding that I know is coming from the transmission is not something I'm going to ignore.

Here's the link to the post in the other thread.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260835

A woman from Ford Customer Service monitors that forum and said many people have reported this noise but that it "smoothed out after 1000 miles." She suggested having the dealer take a look though.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:46 AM   #58
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm just sayin'...it's got moving parts in it. It will make noise...
Old 06-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #59
BigFuzzyArchon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87167
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 BigFuzzyArchon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
I'm just sayin'...it's got moving parts in it. It will make noise...
If it is a normal noise its one thing but if its going to break my car I would like to have it fixed while it is still under warranty.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #60
privateergm
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87249
What I Drive: 2005 Focus ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 privateergm Good Standing Member
Our SE Sport 5 Dr should be arriving next week. My wife the Hondaphile has been telling me all about the Trans problems and that we should stay away from this car and get her a Civic. I have owned small Fords all the way back to my 80 Cruising Wagon, and they have all performed well and all have gotten way over 100,000 miles. Looks like she will be driving the 05 ZXW a few extra weeks while I break this one in, otherwise I can hear the Wife griping for the next 5 years. My daughter then gets the 05 when my '12 Fiesta comes in this the fall.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct, powershift