2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #21
chantspel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86521
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SFE Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 chantspel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
I've experienced a few minor clunks and some lurching, but nothing too disconcerting.

Tony
Yeah its probably not a big deal, I figure it will calm down a bit after I put some more miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #22
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86083
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 CoasterDan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantspel View Post
Hey anyone have a clunk when letting off the brake but not putting your foot on the gas? I noticed it today when I was stopped at a red light with a slight decline. I wanted to inch up to the car in front of me and so I just removed my foot from the brake. This is when the clunk happened. I did it twice and sure enough it did it again.

Anyone else experience this? It has about 400 miles on it so far.
I may have experienced this tonight. I was pulling into the garage, slowly, of course, an I felt something more than heard it. I actually thought I hit the side of the garage or something on the ground, but when I got out of the car, I found I hadn't hit anything. I got back in and drove into the garage and felt the clunk again. Very disconcerting. I'll drive the car tomorrow and see if that happens again.

The shudder at low speeds that I reported on previously is, I believe, gone. The car has over 700 miles on it now and is nearly broken in, I suppose. I still get some rather harsh shifts at times, however, and not just when the car is cold. I'm not talking about firm shifts; the feeling is like a poorly executed shift with a true manual transmission. This happens in the lower gears.

Other than that, the car is fantastic; quiet, smooth and reasonably powerful. It's great around town and maybe even better on the highway.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #23
descentgate
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86793
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Tinted Metallic SEL

FF Reputation: 1 descentgate Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantspel View Post
Hey anyone have a clunk when letting off the brake but not putting your foot on the gas? I noticed it today when I was stopped at a red light with a slight decline. I wanted to inch up to the car in front of me and so I just removed my foot from the brake. This is when the clunk happened. I did it twice and sure enough it did it again.

Anyone else experience this? It has about 400 miles on it so far.
I've gotten this before, and its only on declines I get it, I've always assumed this was the hill assist (which only activates the brakes for several seconds so the car doesn't roll back as you transfer to the accelerator), but if it detects you want to creep, the car releases the brakes. I assumed the "clunk" was the brake release. Its getting much better as the car is breaking in.

- 2002 Ford Focus ZTS (CD Silver Metallic)
- 2012 Ford Focus SEL (Blue Candy Tinted Metallic)
Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 AM   #24
uberjeff
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85949
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 uberjeff Good Standing Member
I'll report back on this once I have taken delivery and had my car for a while. I've had a dual clutch automatic in my VW for the last 5 years/70k miles so I consider myself a pro when it comes to normal operation. During my various Focus test drives I did not detect any shift abnormalities or clunking. I can confuse my VW sometimes if I'm slowing to a stop and then get back on the gas and then let off again all in rapid succession. As others are posted you have to remember that it is basically two manual transmissions inside that gearbox. The computer is doing its best to anticipate the correct clutch operation, but it isn't fool proof. Without the torque converter from a traditional automatic it won't feel as smooth. It does sound like there may be some opportunities to improve the shift logic though. Hopefully over time Ford will release a programming update. I've had one or two for the DSG in my GTI.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:32 AM   #25
crazy_man
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86418
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Hatch - Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 1 crazy_man Good Standing Member
I'm liking the PowerShift. Sometimes, it won't down shift exactly when I want it to, but I think it will get better with more driving. I've only put 800 miles on mine, so I do have to adapt to how this car drives.

Inn sport mode, this little car is lots of fun. I've gotten quite comfortable with the button shifter.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #26
safetyguy14
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86232
What I Drive: '12 Grey Metallic Focus Hb Ti

FF Reputation: 1 safetyguy14 Good Standing Member
Yesterday I experienced a pretty interesting thing, turn on your cruise control and go down a hill, the car will downshift and attempt to engine brake to maintain your cruise speed... pretty sweet. This thing would rock on the switchbacks.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #27
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by descentgate View Post
I've gotten this before, and its only on declines I get it, I've always assumed this was the hill assist (which only activates the brakes for several seconds so the car doesn't roll back as you transfer to the accelerator), but if it detects you want to creep, the car releases the brakes. I assumed the "clunk" was the brake release. Its getting much better as the car is breaking in.
It may be the hill assist. My driveway is on an incline. The jolt I mentioned feeling may have come from the hill assist. However, I hadn't felt it previously, and I believe I've engaged the hill assist on other occasions. Also, when I felt it the second time, I may have been all the way in the garage, on level ground. My wife told me that she felt the same sensation--she thought she hit something--but she may have been on a hill also.

Regarding the shift button, I like it. There's a slight delay when shifting gears, but it's not excessive IMO.

Last night, I tried something new. I was in sport mode going down a hill. The transmission decided that it needed to be in a low gear to hold my speed so it downshifted and held approx. 4000 rpm. I thought that was a little high so I hit the + button. The trans. went into manual mode and upshifted. Previously, I had used the button to enter the manual mode when I wanted to downshift; I hadn't used it to enter the manual mode for upshifting but I see that it works that way too, as you would expect. Pretty cool.

It doesn't bother me that you can't get out of manual mode unless you shift out of sport; I don't see how it could be done any other way without another button, which I think would be overkill.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #28
AmishGuy91
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85045
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 AmishGuy91 Good Standing Member
Been experiencing rough shifts when accelerating from stop ever since I got the car. Seemed to get better from 500-1200 miles...but then got worse from 1200-1500 miles. Currently in the shop to correct that. We'll see what they say.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #29
AmishGuy91
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85045
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 AmishGuy91 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishGuy91 View Post
Been experiencing rough shifts when accelerating from stop ever since I got the car. Seemed to get better from 500-1200 miles...but then got worse from 1200-1500 miles. Currently in the shop to correct that. We'll see what they say.
Service advisor told me Ford would not authorize him to do anything to my car because there was no error code. He said sometimes it takes 5-7k miles to break a car in, and if I still have the issue then I can bring the car back in and they'll look at it. ???? 5-7k miles seems a bit excessive to have to wait before can enjoy a smooth ride in my brand new car.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #30
CoasterDan
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishGuy91 View Post
Service advisor told me Ford would not authorize him to do anything to my car because there was no error code. He said sometimes it takes 5-7k miles to break a car in, and if I still have the issue then I can bring the car back in and they'll look at it. ???? 5-7k miles seems a bit excessive to have to wait before can enjoy a smooth ride in my brand new car.
Huh? If there's something wrong with the car, the dealer should honor the warranty and fix it or replace it, whether Ford will pay for it or not. You shouldn't have to wait 5-7k miles.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct, powershift