2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far? - Page 22 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #211
thomas12se
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109511
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 thomas12se Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just bought my '12 SE 5 door with 19k on it, I felt like it drove fine but noticed some transmission shudder between 2-3-4 when driving slowly. After reading the forums here I called my local dealer and hand them run my VIN and the TSB update had not been done. Paid them a visit on Tuesday and they got me in/out in under an hour. What a difference! The DCT shifts much smoother now, I'm very happy with the car and the great service at my dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #212
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggYolkBill View Post
...I have to say I like the way this transmission behaves. It is just enough like a manual to provide a good feel compared to a traditional auto...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
We love the DCT in our 12 Ti too. It works great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas12se View Post
...The DCT shifts much smoother now, I'm very happy with the car and the great service at my dealership.
Seeing everyone loving their rides brightens my Friday!

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #213
Sprint
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Much better now that my clutches have been replaced. For all having the grinding issues - this is the answer - I just hope it lasts.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #214
hound
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99777
What I Drive: 2012 black titanium

FF Reputation: 1 hound Good Standing Member
had my clutches replaced at 12,000 miles.after a dozen visits to the dealer saying its all im my head till i took them for a ride.you should have seen the look on the techs face when it slipped and jerked like a machine gun.i only got a few 1000 miles on it now and it runs great.i hope it lasts too.when it works your just sipping fuel.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #215
Claude41
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118263
What I Drive: 2013 black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Claude41 Good Standing Member
My 2013 Focus has the same nuisance when I depart from a stop. I feel it's worse after transmisssion had warmed up. But I still love this powershift that react like a manual transmission and give me up to 53 mpg (imperial measure) 44 mpg us.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #216
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 116356
What I Drive: 1908, Black, Model T

FF Reputation: 1 FordServiceCA Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude41 View Post
My 2013 Focus has the same nuisance when I depart from a stop. I feel it's worse after transmisssion had warmed up. But I still love this powershift that react like a manual transmission and give me up to 53 mpg (imperial measure) 44 mpg us.
Hi Claude41,

Have you visited your dealership about this concern? I'd like to look into this and evaluate how I can best assist you. In order for me to do so, I'll need you to PM me your VIN, kilometres, full name, best daytime phone number, and dealer.

If you feel more comfortable communicating in French with me, please feel free to do so. :)

Bianca

p: 800.565.FORD
t: @FordServiceCA @FordFocus @FordCanada
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/FordCanada
Old 09-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #217
fordnomore
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118239
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 0 fordnomore Newbie
Clutch replacement is only a temporary fix.

We had the clutch replacement completed in June, by end of July it started to shudder (early warning signs) and the grinding returned end of August. Took it back to the dealership (for the 8th time total) and was informed that Ford has stated "this is normal" and was told that the dealership could do nothing more with the issue.

The car refused to accelerate on any inclines and would shudder as well while driving up hills. My wife was almost rear-ended in the vehicle while driving up a hill on the way to work...which was the last straw.

Traded in the car from hell last Saturday for a new Acura. I will never buy another American car again. Ford, you've lost a loyal customer of 14 years.

A couple of items to note:
If you're in the Minnesota/Twin Cities area you will likely have Cathy as your customer care service rep. She is terrible at her job. Doesn't return phone calls. Snotty when you finally do hear from her. Good luck dealing with her.

Do Not buy a Ford from Metropolitan Ford. Don't just walk, run away from this dealer. If you must buy a ford go to a different dealer.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #218
Claude41
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118263
What I Drive: 2013 black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Claude41 Good Standing Member
I fixed my shuddering problem without going to the dealer. I worked in GM produicts for 43 years in different dept, including being da dealer for 8 years. As some of you say that the problem goes by itself after a certain mileage, here is what I did, Put transmission on D press on the brake pedal and the gaz pedal until you feel the engine torking for no more then 3 seconds for 3 times in sequences. You might notice a small burning smell. I repeat that operation for 3 days and time after time the problem was going. Now it is very pleasant to drive my car in city. I am shure that nobody at a dealership would tell you that but I suspect that when you bring your car for that problem many mechanics do that and you get your car back with your problem solved.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #219
Midwstguy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118700
What I Drive: 2013 silver titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Midwstguy Good Standing Member
The shuttering that everyone is talking about - oil leak

Hey everyone the shuttering at take off an shifting into 3rd (most people think th is the 1 to 2nd shift-wich is incorrect) is caused by rear engine seal leaking. All it takes is the slightest amt a drop or two of engine oil on occasion - this is the cause of the inconsistent shuttering. The dealer has my car now and is separating the engine-train now replacing the engine seal and the clutches now. This is a 3-4 day project if you are going to a good trusted dealer they will inform you this is a known issue. Do no fool yourself and say it is a normal byproduct of a automated 6speed - make sure you are letting your dealer know and notate in veh history at dealer (have it noted on every oil chane receipt from dealer when reported) so you do not run into warrantee issues later. If you do some searching you can find video of replacing of cluches - engine seal due to this issue overseas where they have had this transmission for a few years now.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #220
Offrddrver
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88002
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Metalic Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Offrddrver Good Standing Member
Near collision due to transmission malfunction:

I posted some time back about this transmission, but wanted to add this 2cents due to my most recent transmission issue.

On 9/10/2013 this transmission malfunctioning nearly caused me a collision with oncoming traffic. (this is the 2nd near collision due the transmission, my first event was listed in another post months ago)
This time, I started out from a light making a left hand turn across oncoming lanes.
From best I could tell the transmission shifted 1st to 2nd fine, and then when shifting to 3rd gear it jammed the car to an abrupt stop, throwing me forward into my seatbelt. Then it went into a "freewheeling" state, as if it was in neutral as pushing the gas resulted in zero forward movement.
Quick thinking and traffic coming at me I dropped the transmission into the S (sport mode), and used the thumb shifter to engage manual shifting. At this moment the car dash reported the car was in 3rd gear, so I shifted down to 1st gear and the car lurched forward enough to get out of harmís way. The Engine light came on, and some other indicators also triggered that I later found by running an engine report.

I have read all kinds of these transmission lurching, shutter, jumping, and near miss accidents. When is Ford going to recall these transmissions?????? When someone dies I do suppose! I guess quality is no longer job 1. Ford would rather follow in Toyota's death march footsteps.

So what do I think about these transmissions - Keep yourself and your family safe and DO NOT BUY ANY FORD CAR THAT HAS THIS TRANSMISSION.

Just to note, my car is back in the shop again for more transmission investigations. My service record for this car is a mile long and most of it is for transmission issues. What a joke.

Thanks for this forum, it will be great proof for my wife and kids some day when I'm dead or crippled because this transmission failed at the wrong moment.

For those Ford employees trying to help my situation, I greatly appreciate your efforts. I just wish your upper managers weren't so rich, then maybe they could care about getting this dangerous transmission fixed for all of us.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct, powershift