2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far? - Page 21 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #201
PratoN
Focus Fanatic
 
PratoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88058
Location: Milwaukee, WI
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Posts: 3,811
FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyRoo View Post
I don't know why everyone is freaking out over the noise of the gears being shifted...
This is why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ_VGo7ws6k

It's often a loud rattle or grinding/crunchy noise and some dealers replace the clutches and seals (which fixes it), while others say it's "normal operation." Also, if it's a new noise (like in my case it happened after about 20k-25k miles?) you start to think there's something wrong because it didn't make that noise at 10k miles. Okay, I'm done.
PratoN is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #202
smizak
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 92058
Location: Buffalo, NY
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

Posts: 219
FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyRoo View Post
Yes it makes noise as the gears shift. Since you're not doing it, there's a mechanical motor that is doing the work. Which makes noise. I don't know why everyone is freaking out over the noise of the gears being shifted...
Not the case all the time for everyone.

Mine sounds EXACTLY like taking a manual shifter and jamming it into a gear without pressing the clutch. This is always accompanied by a complete loss of torque and acceleration. The transmission timing is messed up somewhere in the software.
smizak is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #203
chate1
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104221
Location: San Diego, CA
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus

Posts: 2
FF Reputation: 1 chate1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This is another reason why people are freaking out...copy link below. sorry not too tech savvy..skip the commercial if there is one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54_3_...hannel&list=UL

Have driven many cars including both manual and automatic transmission. Toyota, Honda, Jeep,Nissan,Chrysler,Volkswagen,Mazda,Oldsmobile,Hyundai and we currently have 4 Fords in our family (Expedition,Explorer, Escape and new Focus) I get this is not a standard automatic but find it hard to believe that noise is normal.... It's loud and disconcerting. However, I find that if I drive more aggressively with more acceleration from a stop or slow speed....no sound. Fluke? not sure yet.. but hope not. I want to love this car!
chate1 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #204
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast
 
GoldenHour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 103427
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

Posts: 352
FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pra2veen View Post
Well, when I am at a standstill (in D) if it's in neutral, shouldn't it Not move forward when I let go of the break? Or doesn't it? <confused>
it should pull forward like any other automatic. keep your foot on the brake or gas.
GoldenHour is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #205
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast
 
GoldenHour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 103427
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

Posts: 352
FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chate1 View Post
This is another reason why people are freaking out...copy link below. sorry not too tech savvy..skip the commercial if there is one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54_3_...hannel&list=UL

Have driven many cars including both manual and automatic transmission. Toyota, Honda, Jeep,Nissan,Chrysler,Volkswagen,Mazda,Oldsmobile,Hyundai and we currently have 4 Fords in our family (Expedition,Explorer, Escape and new Focus) I get this is not a standard automatic but find it hard to believe that noise is normal.... It's loud and disconcerting. However, I find that if I drive more aggressively with more acceleration from a stop or slow speed....no sound. Fluke? not sure yet.. but hope not. I want to love this car!
video doesn't exist.
GoldenHour is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #206
thekid1969
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Fan#: 109626
Location: Chicago, IL
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

Posts: 1
FF Reputation: 1 thekid1969 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
All the fun and no clutch.

Been driving a 2012 SE a few months now. Chicago traffic and no clutch! I love this thing! It doesn't make the right decision every time. But if I were clutching it, neither would I. A bit noisy, yes. So now, I have owned a lot of fords. Mustangs, Probes and other Focus models. Always a stick. Also driven BMW, Porsche and (gulp) a Chevy. I have raced at a few levels starting with quarter midgets when I was 5. I've been driving for a long time. I only want to suggest that this trans is quite simply a "manual". Manuals do jerk you around from time to time. Add to this that an automatic is notorious for being in the wrong gear at the wrong time. Or in between them even! Jumping to first when second will do. So it is what it is. A combo of both! I'm getting too old to clutch a car for an hour commute. I've found a fun car that reminds me of my younger stick shift days that gets the gas mileage I wanted. While allowing me to exit a cloverleaf at 70 and never touch the break pedal! Did I say I love this car? Learn how to drive it and enjoy.
thekid1969 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #207
dan50
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91789
Location: Too much info, IL
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Posts: 1,162
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Since the 12b37 update, my DCT has behaved pretty well with none of the shudders, grinding, etc. some have experienced. Once the thing is launched, it behaves well.

My biggest complaint is that 1st is geared very low, presumably to make the clutch's job a bit easier. A consequence of this is that under moderate acceleration the 1/2 shift puts the revs in a much weaker part of the torque curve and the car seems to "bog". Driving gently or aggressively avoids this; unfortunately much suburban traffic does not, making the car difficult to drive smoothly.

And, like most automated transmissions these days, it needs to think over a sudden request to downshift for a second or two.
dan50 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #208
FordService
Official Ford Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79824
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 4,260
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid1969 View Post
...I've found a fun car that reminds me of my younger stick shift days that gets the gas mileage I wanted. While allowing me to exit a cloverleaf at 70 and never touch the break pedal! Did I say I love this car? Learn how to drive it and enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Since the 12b37 update, my DCT has behaved pretty well with none of the shudders, grinding, etc. some have experienced. Once the thing is launched, it behaves well...
thekid1969 & dan50,

I could read posts like these and be happy all day, guys; thanks for sharing!

Cory
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
FordService is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #209
EggYolkBill
Moderator
 
EggYolkBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Fan#: 8
Location: Braselton, GA
What I Drive: '13 Performance Blue Titanium HB

Posts: 1,058
FF Reputation: 21 EggYolkBill Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have driven primarily manual trans vehicles for most of my driving years. I have only had two automatics in the last 20 years. I do not care for automatic transmissions but both of these vehicles (2003 Explorer and 2007 F150) only came with an automatic. I learned to live with it.

When I started looking for a new Focus, I really wanted a manual. I even had my mind set on the ST. I love the ST but it didn't suit me for the commute I have to make to work every day. The only manual Ti I could find near me was black and I am not a fan of black vehicles. Nothing personal to anyone who has a black Focus, it's just not the color for me.

I ended up with a Focus in the color I wanted but with the DCT transmission. I am coming up on my third week with this car. I have to say I like the way this transmission behaves. It is just enough like a manual to provide a good feel compared to a traditional auto. If this were a weekend car to use just for fun I would still rather have a traditional manual. For the commuter who stills wants a little spirit in their driving, I find this a perfect compromise.
EggYolkBill is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #210
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast
 
6769MOPARS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 86108
Location: Powder Springs, GA
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

Posts: 431
FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggYolkBill View Post
I have driven primarily manual trans vehicles for most of my driving years. I have only had two automatics in the last 20 years. I do not care for automatic transmissions but both of these vehicles (2003 Explorer and 2007 F150) only came with an automatic. I learned to live with it.

When I started looking for a new Focus, I really wanted a manual. I even had my mind set on the ST. I love the ST but it didn't suit me for the commute I have to make to work every day. The only manual Ti I could find near me was black and I am not a fan of black vehicles. Nothing personal to anyone who has a black Focus, it's just not the color for me.

I ended up with a Focus in the color I wanted but with the DCT transmission. I am coming up on my third week with this car. I have to say I like the way this transmission behaves. It is just enough like a manual to provide a good feel compared to a traditional auto. If this were a weekend car to use just for fun I would still rather have a traditional manual. For the commuter who stills wants a little spirit in their driving, I find this a perfect compromise.
We love the DCT in our 12 Ti too. It works great.
6769MOPARS is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct , powershift
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.