2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far? - Page 20 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #191
chantspel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86521
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SFE Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 chantspel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I never understood why you would want to use the engine/tranny for breaking. Brake pads are cheap, transmissions are not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #192
HillbillyInBC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85169
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 HillbillyInBC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantspel View Post
I never understood why you would want to use the engine/tranny for breaking. Brake pads are cheap, transmissions are not.
In the general case I agree with you, but I was happy to rely on engine braking for some of the spine-tingling descents I encountered during my trip to the Rockies last week (where the price to be paid for brake fade was even steeper than the mountains I was driving down).
Old 09-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #193
bsp_53
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87580
What I Drive: 2012 FF Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze

FF Reputation: 1 bsp_53 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantspel View Post
I totally agree with your last sentence.
That said, the appropriate application of engine braking should never lead to premature transmission component failure.

Hatch Nation #174
Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #194
thefro
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87593
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 thefro Good Standing Member
Mine's great so far... have had zero issues in D. I have noticed a slight bit of stuttering twice when I have it in Sport mode at very low speeds (driving through parking lot, etc) but I'm only driving it in S to switch things up while I break it in.

The hill assist works perfectly, although I can see where could freak people out if they didn't know what it was doing.
Build Date 9/1 - ETA 9/12
Arrived 9/10 - Picked up 9/16
Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #195
Cleric670
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91157
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE

FF Reputation: 1 Cleric670 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertiger View Post
Posted this in another thread but thought it might be relevant here as well:

i've been noticing a low rumbling, i guess you would call it grinding noise from the transmission. it's like a very low ratcheting sound when it shifts from 1st to 2nd especially, then whenever the car is going 35 or so mph and the rpms are around 1500 to 2000. if i step on the gas and jump up the rpms it seems to go away or if i take my foot off the gas.

i wonder if this problem (if it is a problem) is much more widespread but most people just don't hear it. i have to have the windows down and then it helps to be next to a building or center lane divider or something so the sound has something to echo off of.

otherwise no problems other than some rattling in dash on rough roads. sync works fine so far.
^^ EXACTLY what this guy said, noticed it a few times in the middle of the night, windows down, leaving the gas station where i could hear the sound echoing back to me off the side of the building, no one else even awake so it was completely silent and i did circles around the building for a bit trying to figure out what the heck was making the sound, definitely the 1-2 gearchange, not a lot of room in the parking lot but 2-3 made no noise. No other issues with the vehicle and there was nothing wrong with the "feel" of changing gears, just an odd sound when shifting, haven't taken it to the dealer yet because it's probably not an issue and i have a 5 year powertrain warranty.

IMO it feels like it's disengaging 1st gear and preloading 3rd gear before the electric clutch is fully disengaged cause it sounds EXACTLY like a manual transmission trying to force a gear with the clutch still slightly engaged just a much quieter version of that sound
Old 11-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #196
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric670 View Post
^^ EXACTLY what this guy said, noticed it a few times in the middle of the night, windows down, leaving the gas station where i could hear the sound echoing back to me off the side of the building, no one else even awake so it was completely silent and i did circles around the building for a bit trying to figure out what the heck was making the sound, definitely the 1-2 gearchange, not a lot of room in the parking lot but 2-3 made no noise. No other issues with the vehicle and there was nothing wrong with the "feel" of changing gears, just an odd sound when shifting, haven't taken it to the dealer yet because it's probably not an issue and i have a 5 year powertrain warranty.

IMO it feels like it's disengaging 1st gear and preloading 3rd gear before the electric clutch is fully disengaged cause it sounds EXACTLY like a manual transmission trying to force a gear with the clutch still slightly engaged just a much quieter version of that sound
I have this sound as well. Like you - I had to drive beside a wall to get a clear sense of it (i was thinking of maybe taping a small microphone to the outside of my car for a few minutes to record it and post here). As you mentioned above, I hear it at the shift between 1 and 2 - best way I can describe it is that it's like the sound of sliding a wrench onto a large nut. It lasts about 1 second. I've never owned a manual so I can't compare it to any usual manual sounds.

From various posts I've read, I'm tending to believe this is normal. Lot's of people claim not to have it, but I'm betting if they do the "drive beside a wall in a quiet area with wall side window down" test, they would hear it also.

The question is: Does this sound represent some sort of problem???? I'm going to ask my dealer about it. I'm anxious to see what this sound is like after a month or 2 of sub freezing temperature up here in Canada. Since it kind of sounds like exposed moving parts, I'm a bit nervous because such things generally tend to seize up in very cold weather.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #197
DVolpe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89714
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus

FF Reputation: 2 DVolpe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pra2veen View Post
My Transmission almost screwed me over yesterday when I was getting back home from work. I was waiting for a guy to go past me so that I could speed up onto the I-94 from an entry ramp. I turned around one last time to double-check, after he passed me, if I missed someone coming from behind before I accelerated.

My focus wouldn't accelerate!! It felt like my car was in Neutral. I must've been doing like 20mph when this happened. The car wouldn't go any faster but I could hear the car revving. This totally freaked me out and I had to put it in S and then back in D before the gears would engage and I could drive away.

It was quite scary and the first major problem/issue I had with my transmission.
I have had my car since early July and this has happened to me 3 times. but for me it only happens when I've been driving in S mode and Im decelerating(usually getting of and interstate exit). when i slow down enough to where the car needs to downshift and when i got to accelerate its stuck in neutral. Im just the opposite. I was in S mode so i just put it into D and it catches the gear. Ive been debating for a while t take it to the dealer. I just havnt had any free time latley
Old 11-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #198
Lakeguy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90119
What I Drive: 2012 silver titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Lakeguy Good Standing Member
Just picked my titanium hatch up on Thursday. Already have 200 miles on and everything is OK except the gas gauge did not move from over full until 125 miles were shown. Love the transmission and car has a lot more pep than I thought a small engine would have.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #199
chate1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104221
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 chate1 Good Standing Member
Have heard a rattling sound (no feel to it, just sound) around 1.5 rpm's and saw a youtube video that captured it exactly. Started reading about transmission issues and sounds (lots out there) on the 2012 Focus and was surprised to learn
it was not your typical "automatic" car. Clearly I didn't understand the dual clutch transmission before purchasing. A few posted "once you learn how to drive it, it works great") I don't know if this makes sense or is just by chance but since I have adjusted my driving to be more aggressive; treating it like a manual (accelerating more when "changing" gears from 1st to 2nd) no more sound. Easing along from 1st to 2nd, definite noise. I hope no more problems because I love this car!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #200
SydneyRoo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86671
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 2 SydneyRoo Good Standing Member
Yes it makes noise as the gears shift. Since you're not doing it, there's a mechanical motor that is doing the work. Which makes noise. I don't know why everyone is freaking out over the noise of the gears being shifted...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct, powershift