2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far? - Page 17 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #161
jsmichael
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61254
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 jsmichael Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen View Post
I find it a bit jerky in some situations but I'm very impressed at how hard the car pulls when you put your foot into it.
I get the same impression. Don't get me wrong folks (especially those looking at the new Focus for possible purchase), this car, once it gets into 4th gear (5-speed auto tranny) can fly. You can be going upwards of 90 MPH and not realize it since the suspension is very refined and the car more stable than the older models.

My comparison of the car's width between the 2009 and 2012 model years shows that the 2012 model is about six inches wider. In addition, the tires are a bit wider. Both of these factors help to contribute to a very smooth ride. This car can also corner very well.

While the new Focus may not ever show up in a "Fast & Furious" movie, for a stock car I think it's a helluva deal given the price.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #162
chantspel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86521
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SFE Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 chantspel Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishGuy91 View Post
I couldn't agree more. At 3400 miles now and my transmission is still as jerky as ever. It just isn't fun to drive in the city.
I agree completely with you guys. I have close to 4k on my and have not notice any "break in" improvement. I seriously doubt more miles will make the jerkiness go away.

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 08-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #163
bssybeep
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87864
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 bssybeep Good Standing Member
In the process of breaking in my baby (Racing Red SE with Sport Package). I've had my Focus for a few week but have been basically putting around. Until I read the "How to break in a car" thread.

I started by taking her out on the freeway in sport mode. Man, that was fun! The Focus really moves in sport mode. I was up to 90 mph in a flash merging on the freeway.

Next I tried the manual button shifting. That was a heck a fun time as well. Basically "Sport Mode" transfers the Focus into a another car. I love this car, 35+mpg when I want to relax, but goes fast when I feel like playing.

Nice
Old 08-09-2011, 06:00 AM   #164
Starfury
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86844
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE Sport Hatch

Points 364, Level 7
Points: 364, Level: 7 Points: 364, Level: 7 Points: 364, Level: 7
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Starfury Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bssybeep View Post
In the process of breaking in my baby (Racing Red SE with Sport Package). I've had my Focus for a few week but have been basically putting around. Until I read the "How to break in a car" thread.

I started by taking her out on the freeway in sport mode. Man, that was fun! The Focus really moves in sport mode. I was up to 90 mph in a flash merging on the freeway.

Next I tried the manual button shifting. That was a heck a fun time as well. Basically "Sport Mode" transfers the Focus into a another car. I love this car, 35+mpg when I want to relax, but goes fast when I feel like playing.

Nice
That is an interesting way of looking at it.

My ZX3 is quick and fun, but doesn't have the smooth ride of the 2012.

Nice to know I can have a bit of both worlds.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #165
Hornblower92
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89040
What I Drive: 2012, Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Hornblower92 Good Standing Member
I have a 2012 Focus SEL and my transmission ran very smoothly until on day the transmission slipped when I hopped on the freeway (ie the car disengaged 4th gear and never made it to 3rd so the rpms were around like 6k when I noticed) and ever since then the transmission has felt very jerky and almost like a roller coaster. I took it to the dealer and they said the jerkiness was just the dual clutch. Could something have been damaged when the trans slipped that would effect shifting? The jerking can only be felt from 1st to 2nd gear, then everything is normal and very smooth.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #166
scottjl
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86588
What I Drive: 2012 StrlGry 5dr Ti

FF Reputation: 1 scottjl Good Standing Member
I've got about 550mi on my 8 day old vehicle and no problems at all. I've had long highway driving without any issues as well as dealing with downtown Chicago stop-and-go (more stop than go) traffic. Never once did the transmission feel jerky, sluggish, or cause me any concern, and I've been "feeling" for it (just to see what it was like).

Despite all the poor reviews in the press and some people's horror stories I'm pretty happy with the transmission. Unlike my issues with MFT.

Haven't tried out the sport mode yet, all this has been in regular Drive.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #167
completely_focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86510
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 completely_focused Good Standing Member
The sport mode is the bomb. The car is so quiet inside it's hard to hear the gears shifting so I don't really like manually shifting using the buttons but it could come in handy driving through the mountains.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #168
scottjl
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86588
What I Drive: 2012 StrlGry 5dr Ti

FF Reputation: 1 scottjl Good Standing Member
Out in the midwest here it's kinda flat, what they call "mountains" here barely qualify for large hills.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #169
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Never owned an automatic before (been driving 25+ years) so I don't really have a basis for comparison. I've been in some stop and go where it seems indecisive as to the gear but it is not harsh or jerky when it does shift (again, in my opinion, not sure what to compare it to).
Old 09-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #170
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Dropped the Focus off this morning at the dealer for the shuddering when taking off from a stop. I like the idea of the dual clutch but you would think that someone drove the car before it was released. I really don't understand a dry clutch requiring a break in time, I ask anyone that has driven a manual trans did you get any shuddering out of the clutch even when brand new? Only time I got shuddering from a manual trans vehicle is when the disc was bad.

Montana

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct , powershift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.