2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far? - Page 14 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #131
stillmatck
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87815
What I Drive: 2012 red candy SE

FF Reputation: 1 stillmatck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My wifes focus has about 1300 miles on it. Just noticed the jerky low speed gear changes and the rattling today since i finally drove it a bit. I signed on this board to ask about this issue, but a lot of the other threads mention that this is normal. Lots of information, great board and im sure i will be pretty active on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #132
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
If it helps, my car has almost 4K miles on it and every once in a while in stop and go traffic it shutters pretty bad. But well over 99% of the time it's flawless. So even though mine is "broken in" you can obviously still have issues. But it happens so infrequently it doesn't bother me at all.

Tony
Old 07-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #133
tvp90
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87517
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 tvp90 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
If it helps, my car has almost 4K miles on it and every once in a while in stop and go traffic it shutters pretty bad. But well over 99% of the time it's flawless. So even though mine is "broken in" you can obviously still have issues. But it happens so infrequently it doesn't bother me at all.

Tony
Does this happen when you are in S mode or D mode?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #134
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp90 View Post
Does this happen when you are in S mode or D mode?
To my knowledge, it has only happened in D mode. However, most of my driving is done in D mode.

Tony
Old 07-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #135
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm1th View Post
Well that's enough consensus for me, time to get the dealership involved. Thanks all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantspel View Post
I have 2600 on mine and have the same issue. I'm going to tell the dealership I think

Posted via FF Mobile
I'd be curious to hear what your dealers say. As I posted, they reprogrammed the drive cycle on my transmission and while the noise had lessened somewhat it is still clearly there at times. Definitely not quiet as a church mouse. I was also told the noise is normal and would further reduce with miles. I've got 4000 miles on it now. I also hear the noise at times when going slowly and at very low rpms. Also, it does not make the noise for the first 20 or so minutes the car is driven, it must be warmed up. All of this, plus others reporting a very quiet transmission makes me doubt what Ford is telling me.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #136
chopper dave
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86580
What I Drive: 2012 white SE sport/manual/hatch

FF Reputation: 1 chopper dave Good Standing Member
I have had the pleasure of renting an SEL for the past week. It has 8500 miles on it, and the transmission is quick and smooth, more so than the brand new SE I test drove a month ago. More than autos with a torque converter, you can definitely feel the gear change, but I feel like it's not from a clunky shift and more from the different engine speed in the new gear.
I get what people are saying about the transmission hunting for gears at low speeds, and agree that sport mode is more convenient for low speed driving, especially around hills. The manual shift buttons were completely useless because when I wanted to shift, I had to move my hand off the wheel, find the shift knob, hunt for the button, and make sure I pressed the right one. By the time I found it, the time to shift was past, and I was better off just staying in S mode.
Before getting the Focus, I rented a Mazda 3 for a week as well, and its transmission was smoother, but felt like mud. I could tell the engine had more power than the Ford, but it took so long to shift and I felt like the engine was connected to the wheels through a rubber band. If you want a perfectly smooth transmission, pay the slushbox price. If you want it to shift exactly when you want it to, get a manual.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #137
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Don't know of it has been posted elsewhere but here is the New York Times review of the 2012 Focus:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/au....html?_r=1&hpw
Old 07-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #138
completely_focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86510
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 completely_focused Good Standing Member
I got the feeling that the NYT's reviewer thought that the focus had an automatic transmission. It's more of an automatically controlled manual and it does take some getting used to. I had a completely different experience during my test drives of the Focus. I could only hope that the one I ordered drives as smooth as the one's I test drove.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #139
Grimlock99

Fan#:
On the 30th of June I bought a 2012 Focus SE with the powershift tranny.I did almost 500 miles during the week-end and discovered a pulsating vibration between 50 and 75 mph.I called the dealership and explained the problem,we took an appointment for a few days later.They roadtested the car and checked the wheel balance ,but this was not the problem.They explained me that the car had a more serious problem coming from the powertrain and possibly from the transmission.I had to wait a few days to get a loaner so they can do a complete diagnostic can be done.I'm still waiting to know what's wrong.The car also has some rattling at low speeds.

The part that really annoy me about this situation is that I never wanted this transmission.I went thru many dealerships and the official sales pitch was that buying an SEL with a manual transmission would take almost 2 months to get and that the value of my trade in would fall during that time.Also there's almost no 2012 Focus with manual transmissions in the dealerships inventories.When it was made clear that I would never get a good deal on the car I wanted ,I look and found the car I got today.And there's the big pet peeve.The car had the vibration problem from the moment it came out from the assembly plant.And because the problem was known from similar issues with the Fiesta,quality control should have picked up on it and return the car to be fixed.And now ,after only a few days of ownership ,the service department personnel are calling me by my first name.

I'm far from amused with this situation.My original plan was to keep the car at least 4 yrs,but now I'm already looking for news for the 2014 Mazda3.I know the obvious answer is "sh!t happens" or "you should have taken a road test".With all the road construction and uneven pavement in my area ,it took me a while to notice it ,and if Ford quality control would have done their job ,I wouldnt be stuck with a loaner on summer vacation.

Sorry for the rant ,but I spent a decade without a Ford and it will take me longuer than that before I buy another one.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #140
cchaos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86214
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 cchaos Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by completely_focused View Post
I got the feeling that the NYT's reviewer thought that the focus had an automatic transmission. It's more of an automatically controlled manual and it does take some getting used to. I had a completely different experience during my test drives of the Focus. I could only hope that the one I ordered drives as smooth as the one's I test drove.
I thought so too, but he did mention the dual-clutch design.

The thing he didn't mention though was the car's mileage or how long he drove it. So it was probably a brand new Focus, and as most of us have experienced, the transmission shifting gets smoother after breaking in the vehicle a few thousand miles. Interesting point about it being calibrated for fuel economy though...I hadn't thought about this, but it makes sense.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct , powershift
-->