Eco Mode shifting - how fickle can it be? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-26-2014, 03:43 AM   #1
FocusOnTheTarget
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 134345
What I Drive: 2012, Ruby Red, hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnTheTarget Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Eco Mode shifting - how fickle can it be?

Does anyone understand what the shifting metric is? I've been at five petals on the anticipation and speed since about 30 miles into owning the car, but the shifting petals have been really tough to get. For awhile I had zero. Then today I checked and I'm at 5 petals on all three in one day of driving. I haven't changed my driving and actually was thinking I was over-revving a lot due to having to start on hills and get through some tough intersections. I'm not particularly concerned what my car thinks of my shifting, I'm averaging 34 mpg with about 1/3 in town and 2/3 hiway so I'm happy. I guess it's my competitive streak needing to know what it takes to win.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

Points 221, Level 4
Points: 221, Level: 4 Points: 221, Level: 4 Points: 221, Level: 4
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
you can't win against computer its real fickle lol . I've averaged over 43 mpg sometimes in summer still couldn't get "advanced driver or eco-champion message to appear ,yesterday got eco-champion averaging only 33.9 mpg.do you reset your computer every time you fill up that resets the petals also if you go into test menu you can see your percentages for speed ,anticipation, cold starts and shifting to see how close you are. to get to test menu press the left "ok" button down before starting car continue holding start car ,test menu will appear in display use left down arrow to go thru each test ,when you get to eco-mode screen use right or left arrow to show each percentage. Not sure how the shifting % works in test menu have the DCT but the speed and anticipation show live data I think, I've ran with anticipation screen on every time you use brakes it drops , speed % drops if in stop and go traffic
Old 01-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102523
What I Drive: '12-Sonic Blue-5dr/5spd/203A/Roof

FF Reputation: 1 2kwik4u Good Standing Member
I've got it once in the last 33k miles. Shifted at 2k rpm or below fpr an entire tank of fuel. Boring as snot to drive and delivered only about a .5mpg increase over my normal 32ish mpg. Anticipation and speed are always "5petals".
Old 01-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
Creative
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108024
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus

Points 3,519, Level 37
Points: 3,519, Level: 37 Points: 3,519, Level: 37 Points: 3,519, Level: 37
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 Creative Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
5spd can be excellent and 5star gear shifting. I normally shift between 2-2.5k rpms. And only use partial throttle and feather the gas pedal.

As the old saying goes, you have to pay to play.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
FocusOnTheTarget
Focus Rookie

Yeah, apparently it likes what I'm doing currently as I'm at 5 stars. I don't know what I did to change it though, I was shifting the same way before and getting no petals. I'm not a very agressive driver, i'm fully content to shift at low RPM and keep it smooth. Maybe I'm just subtly settling into a rhythm with a mew car and not noticing the change.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102523
What I Drive: '12-Sonic Blue-5dr/5spd/203A/Roof

FF Reputation: 1 2kwik4u Good Standing Member
I really feel like the car works best with a 2.5k to 3k shift point. This is of course too high for the car to give me the 5 petals mark.

I've been trying this weekend to get more petals with lower shift points.....it's HARD for me to shift that low in normal traffic locally.

I had to merge on the expressway with an abnormally short entrance ramp this morning. That required a full throttle 1-2 shift at 6,500, and then a 2-3 shift at around 75mph (wasn't watching the tach at that point). I lost all 3 petals I had gained in 3 days of work, as well as two of my anticipation petals.

Seems the "Ecomode" is the like the credit rating system in this country, heavily penalized, lowly rewarded. Make 30 payments on time, get maybe 2 points, make one late payment lose 25+.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
FocusOnTheTarget
Focus Rookie

I am pretty sure that it senses a quick acceleration and adjusts the expected shift point. When I merge onto the hiway from a stop it doesn't blink the shift light until 3K rpm, but in city traffic it blinks at 2K.

It does feel more responsive when you shift higher, but I find it shifts smoother between gears at 2,000. I'm a very laid back driver in traffic though. Shifting at 6,500 seems like an incredibly hard shift. I put it through its paces when I first got it and 5K was way higher than I ever wanted to be.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
mittencuh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120274
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium hatch 5 speed

Points 117, Level 2
Points: 117, Level: 2 Points: 117, Level: 2 Points: 117, Level: 2
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 mittencuh Good Standing Member
I'm light on the launch and shift riiiight before the suggestion to change up. Doing that I've pretty consistently gotten a full petal.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.