The Final 00-04 / 05-07 Front End Swap - Thread - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
RSVT170
FocusRush

Fan#: 28451
What I Drive: '13 ST2 & '05 ZXW

FF Reputation: 42 RSVT170 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
The Final 00-04 / 05-07 Front End Swap - Thread

I have seen this topic some up quite a few times and I figured I'd make a thread that answered all of the questions in one post.

As most of you know, the front ends between the 00-04 focus and the 05-07 focus is interchangeable. You cannot just swap one part at a time, as it will not fit. For Example, you cannot just put an SVT bumper on an 05-07 and expect it to fit. In order to do this swap, you have to do it all at once.

For the Purpose of this thread I'm going to call the 00-04 the MK1 and the 05-07 the MK1.25

No matter which direction you wish to go (MK1 to MK1.2 or MK1.25 to MK1) Here is the full list of part that you will need in order to do a complete swap.

1. Hood
2. Fenders
3. Front Bumper assembly (to include lower grills and fog lights)
4. Headlights
5. Grill*
6. Windshield washer fluid tank & pump (They sit on opposite sides of the car between the between the two designs)
7. Headlight bulb sockets / pigtails
8. Foglight bulb sockets / pigtails**
9. Hood latch
10. Some wire to extend the side marker light sockets (~$2.00)
11. Some new windshield washer fluid tubing (~$5.00)

* If you are going from a MK1 to a MK1.25 SAP front bumper, the grill is integrated into the front bumper assembly. (SAP - Street Appearance Package)

** Make sure you get the correct sockets for the fog lights for the bumper you are putting on i.e. SVT Fogs, Standard MK1 Fogs, Standard MK1.25 fogs, SAP fogs. If you car was not originally equipped with fog lights, check to see if there is wiring already in place as is the case with some foci. Otherwise, you can wire them in as you see necessary, and you can even utilize the factory headlight/foglight switch to do so.

The hood latch isn't 100% necessary, and can be a real big PITA to change. BUT, if you go from a MK1 to a MK1.25 front end and don't swap the latch, you have to reach down and fish around for the latch when opening the hood as the MK1 has a lower profile hood and therefore a shorter hood latch. Vice Versa for the latter. You might have to bend the latch down to clear the hood if you go from a MK1.25 to a MK1.

The following I have seen come up in a few threads as necessary parts, but are in fact NOT needed
- Fender liners
- Windshield cowl
- Windshield wipers
- Bumper crash foam

The EASIEST way to do this swap is to find someone with the front end that you want and do a straight trade. It would be even more benificial to both of you if the cars are the same color. Keep in mind that Ford did change the shade of a few colors between model years. For example, an '03 focus in egg yolk yellow does not match the Yellow on later years.

During a swap, it might look something like this...

While doing the swap, budget a long day in the drive way for the swap and take your time. If a particular body panel isn't coming off easy, it's because there is another bolt some where that hasn't been removed. Also, keep the hardware separate between the two cars and keep track of which bolt goes where. I know many of us have taken things apart and have had left over pieces when re-assembling.

Who did this first?

The member with the screen name "Massive" was the firs tot do a swap. He put an SVT front eend on his 2005 ST.

The first to go in the other direction was Me :-). I traded an '05 sedan front end for my '02 SVTF front. My original intention was to install an SAP front, but I traded in the car before I could get my hands on one.

I think I've covered everything.. If I've missed something, please post and I'll update this first post. Also, if you have completed a swap, post your photos and I'll add it to the first post.

List and pics of completed swaps:

MASSIVE
Before

After

RSVT170
Before

After

After painting lower grill and color matched upper grill surround

castone
5/21/11
SAP to SVT

Before

After

Last edited by RSVT170; 05-29-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
RSVT170
FocusRush

Anyone have photos of the "Massive" Before and after?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Buickboy
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: 72 Skylark, '12 Mustang

FF Reputation: 39 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
nice write up and let me tell you, ive had that last pic saved since before I bought my 07 new lol
Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
RSVT170
FocusRush

:-) I'm flattered.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
turntablez
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83139
What I Drive: 2003 Blue Focus SPI

FF Reputation: 1 turntablez Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I have a question. Say I wanted an SVT front bumper only on my Focus Sedan SE so I could have the better looking fog lights. Can that be done?
Old 04-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
RSVT170
FocusRush

Since you have a 2003, yes. It's a straight swap.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
turntablez
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83139
What I Drive: 2003 Blue Focus SPI

FF Reputation: 1 turntablez Good Standing Member
Thanks!
Old 04-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
FuhFuh Focus
Stuff about Florida

Fan#: 67230
What I Drive: 2002 Mazda Protegé ES

FF Reputation: 7 FuhFuh Focus Good Standing Member
+1 Good stuff!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
RSVT170
FocusRush

Updated FIrst post with more photos of completed swaps.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Perfect timing, on this swap for me. A deer ran into my car, so I need a hood/LF fender/LF head light, oh & a windsheid too. The deer ran up into the windsheild & bounced off & ran into the trees & bushes. So if I use FRPP's SVT front bumper cover complete w/ lights, '00-'04 hood/headlights/fenders. Do I need to use the early hood latch/ washer tank/pump, or can I use the one I have on the pass. side already? & do I have to switch out the headlight/foglight pigtails/sockets? & what else do I need to do? Thanx for your input. Great timing, I wanted to do this since I bought this car, I already have the SAP rear bumper cover.

Last edited by felixthecat; 05-30-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: The deer ran into my car on friday morning by the way

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->