2010 2.0 5 Speed - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Shanekavanagh89
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84963
What I Drive: 2010 Black Focus Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Shanekavanagh89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Smile 2010 2.0 5 Speed

I have a 2010 2.0L DOHC 5 Speed Manual Focus Sedan.

Looking to make some reliable upgrades/mods to increase performance. I live in Metro Detroit, drive a good mix of highway and city, and currently get about 30.9 MPG city and 35-37 Highway. I am willing to sacrifice some fuel efficiency for more horsepower, but not too much.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
jmcrides03
low n slow

Fan#: 75938
What I Drive: 96 paseo 97 contour zetec mtx 75

FF Reputation: 7 jmcrides03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
cold air or short ram intake, header, catback, and most importantly because its where youll gain the most is a tune
sedan revolution #83 Team Focus Cleveland #14
96 toyota paseo 97 contour zetec mtx turbo build in progress
Old 04-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Shanekavanagh89
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

What about a turbo or a chip? Ive been told to look into both of those
Old 04-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
jmcrides03
low n slow

the "chip" your probably thinking of is a tune with a sct xcal handheld programmer if your talkin ebay "performance chip" i wouldnt put one of those on my lawn mower and well yeah a turbo will give you a large performance gain and if you stay out of boost when daily driving you wont lose a whole lot of mpg but turbo kits arent cheap check out focus-power.com fswerks.com and topspeedperformance.net
Old 04-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
voortrek3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 487
What I Drive: 2009 Vista Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 3 voortrek3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Your Focus doesn't have a 'chip', it has an ECU. You can buy a flasher with a tune i.e. xcal3 which is probably your best bang for the buck and go FI for max fun factor.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Shanekavanagh89
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it!
Old 04-19-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
Eklipse113
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63711
What I Drive: 2009 Black Clearcoat Coupe SES

FF Reputation: 4 Eklipse113 Good Standing Member
remember, if you are going to do something crazy like turbo it, you're going to void your warranty and you'll need other stuff. for example you'll need a better clutch, a limited slip differential to get that power to the road. then on top of it you might want bigger brakes so you can stop the dang thing... and then suspension work (coil-overs, sway bars, etc) to be able to handle that speed in a turn.

this gets expensive quick!

I started with a cat-back exhaust, a cold air intake (I went short-ram, have had no issues with the "heat soak" people claim they get), and a tune from focus-power (Tom). Before I do any more power things I'm probably going to do springs. And I'm not even considering my dream of a turbo til I get the limited-slip differential on there.
Tuned by Focus-Power (Tom)
Old 04-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
jmcrides03
low n slow

in all honesty a limited slip differential is not really a necessity for a turbo car but it does help im going turbo with a luk replacement clutch, no lsd , regular non-svt brakes, and stock front and no- rear swaybar and im on eibaech pro-kit and stock shocks right now will be upgrading to sportlines on konni or eibach shocks but not for better handling jusr moar low it already handles pretty damn good. all these thing will help but are not really necessities the clutch will become a necessity as i go for more power and this one starts to get worn out but really you can get one of the kits and it comes with the necessary parts but would void warranty if you try and take it in for service with a turbo kit on it
Old 04-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
KyleQ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84296
What I Drive: 2008 Focus Coupe 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 KyleQ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Once you drive a FWD car with a Torsen there is no going back - My SVT Contour is so much fun to drive with 185hp/tq and a Torsen, 18" Z radials didn't stand a chance, but I could take clover leaf corners at redline in 3rd gear, which is around 90mph - not going to chance banging 4th in an all out powerslide into traffic :P

I''m getting ~ 36mpg a tank in my car, bone stock. Does anyone have real world results from adding mods and calculating MPG data? I'm wondering what the best investment return would be - obviously a tune is last to get the most out of it, but what is the cost cost affective? I'm not currently looking for HP - but this car will eventually turn into a toy when I graduate into a larger car.

Torsen T-2/Clutchnet Stage 3
Fidanza 8lb 131 of 2150
Old 04-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
jmcrides03
low n slow

dont get me wrong i plan on getting a lsd because it will be needed its just not a huge necessity but will help immensely if your making some power and need to get it to the ground. i have a short ram intake and a lunch box delete with the muffler replaced with a 2 inch in and out cherry bomb turbo and 2 1/4 from the mullfer back and no tune for it and my mpg is about the same as it was stock the main thing with the intake is if you plan on using the maf housing provided with the intake make sure that the inner diameter of the tube is the same as your MAF housing because if you dont get a tune for it a larger or smaller diameter tubing will change the accuracy of the reading the maf gets and will cause you to either run too rich or too lean and the exhaust as long as its cat back wont hurt anything. if anything you may gain a mpg from the intake since its letting the engine get the air it needs with out having to strain as much. from a tune you CAN gain mpg and horsepower how much im not sure of because im currently untuned but basically the same way as the intake everything is optimized more so the car runs better and more efficiently the air/fuel mixture and spark timing are more vehicle and location specific instead of a base tune from ford thats made to be universal

Bookmarks & Social Networks