New Focus Break-in? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
GlockGuy619
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84732
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 GlockGuy619 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New Focus Break-in?

So I just picked up my 2012 Focus SE (5-door) and I was wondering if there is a engine break in period? My MPG is fairly low compared to the EPA estimated MPG. Will this gradually improve over time or could it just be my driving habits and conditions?

Thanks!!

Cliff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
mtruland
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84353
What I Drive: 2010 Harley Davidson XL1200C

FF Reputation: 1 mtruland Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockGuy619 View Post
So I just picked up my 2012 Focus SE (5-door) and I was wondering if there is a engine break in period? My MPG is fairly low compared to the EPA estimated MPG. Will this gradually improve over time or could it just be my driving habits and conditions?

Thanks!!

Cliff
It's listed in the manual. Basically don't do constant speeds for a certain number of miles (500-1000?).
Old 04-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
GlockGuy619
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84732
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 GlockGuy619 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtruland View Post
It's listed in the manual. Basically don't do constant speeds for a certain number of miles (500-1000?).
I did see that, I was wondering if anyone else knew anything more or anything different.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:33 AM   #4
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Some manufacturers claim that newer cars can get away with 10000 mile oil change intervals with full synthetic oil. However metal shavings and debris tends to circulate in the oil when you're dealing with a brand new engine. It's usually a good idea to flush all that crap out between 3000 and 5000 miles, rather than waiting for your first scheduled maintenance.

While it's generally still a good idea to fluctuate RPMs within the first 500 miles, I wouldn't exactly say it's 100% critical either. Most newer cars today are built to have higher tolerances. Brand new engines are also put through a rigorous break-in procedure during the manufacturing process. Technically any new car you buy today will already have "a few miles" on the engine. Customers have no control over this since it is done at the factory during quality testing.

You've probably heard all kinds of ridiculous or unnecessary suggestions regarding "break-in" procedures. Everyone seems to have their own magic technique behind it. But honestly from personal experience I can tell you right now that your new car isn't going to fall apart if you decide to have a little fun once in a while.

I bought my car brand new back in July of 2008 and I roughly followed the "break-in" procedure that was recommended. But there were times when I did pound on it just to have a little fun and see what it would feel like. It was hard not to. I'm at 57000 miles now and I haven't had a single mechanical failure or any reduction in power at all. The car and its engine still feels brand new. No rough idling or any sign of hesitation.

Just enjoy your ride and have fun with it. I think you already know through common sense not to pound on it at every single stop light when you're driving anything new. But at the same time you shouldn't be paranoid either.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:54 AM   #5
mildc3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76504
What I Drive: 2007 blue sedan

FF Reputation: 1 mildc3 Good Standing Member
i think your supposed to do every possible driving scenarios, easy on the gas for around 1k miles and then change the oil, confirm with your manual
Old 04-17-2011, 05:02 AM   #6
Darthenstein
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63587
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES

Points 1,534, Level 22
Points: 1,534, Level: 22 Points: 1,534, Level: 22 Points: 1,534, Level: 22
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Darthenstein Good Standing Member
I did my first oil change at 500 miles (okay i wanted to get my hands on it ).

Your gas mileage will be crappy for the first few thousand miles and then will get better...part of the game.

Nice Car!!!

Ford: Taurus ('91, 01) Focus ('09); Mercury: Sable ('95); Dodge: Neon ('95); Trek: 1000SL ('07) Yamaha: VStar 650 ('03)
Old 04-17-2011, 05:26 AM   #7
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 133,840, Level 100
Points: 133,840, Level: 100 Points: 133,840, Level: 100 Points: 133,840, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
^^Yes, has the motor breaks in it should start to get better fuel economy. Almost every car is like this. If you read car magazines, and read there long term test cars, alot of times there mileage gets better with age. Though I will say I'm not seeing that has much as I used to.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
I found this article when I was asking the same question. I will be taking my car to be detailed so that the paint is well protected. I am going to try and have the dealership through in the first oil change, which I will have done a couple days after picking up the car, and between 1000-2000km I will switch to a good quality full synthetic oil.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...k-in-a-new-car
Old 04-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 133,840, Level 100
Points: 133,840, Level: 100 Points: 133,840, Level: 100 Points: 133,840, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
^^Well there you go, I feel that is very good info IMO. Good find!

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 04-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
sparky123
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 80882
What I Drive: 2010 Silver Focus SE 5-Sp.

FF Reputation: 1 sparky123 Good Standing Member
Good read. Congratulations on the new ride! On my new 10' Focus, I changed out the FF @ 1K mi. w/Motorcraft sem-synthetic 5W-20. Same oil is the factory fill from my understanding. Second oil change was @ 3K. A little early but winter weather was approaching and I decided I would the only one doing such an easy job. I'm doing my third oil change today. So....I recommend n early oil change. Followed by a 3,750mi second and then 3,750-5,000 mi. intervals thereafter. BTW, I changed out the manual transmission fluid as well @ 5kmi. The fluid was darker than expected and in sunlight saw fine metal shavings. Refilled w/Motorcraft Syn. Manual Trans. Fluid bought @ dealer ($18 a qt.!) Much better shifts. Safe and happy driving!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.