Timing belt replacement interval - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
ajoregon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84873
What I Drive: 2004, white, wagon

FF Reputation: 1 ajoregon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Timing belt replacement interval

At 69k miles I suppose it's time to change out the timing belt. Haynes makes it look alot easier than the one I changed on my 96 dodge stratus 2.4. At least there is a way to lock in TDC and secure the cams. Is it really that easy? Al

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Fucus-minded
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72986
What I Drive: 2003, black, Ford Focus SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 3 Fucus-minded Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
mmm depends what you call easy... I just did it and it def takes the better part of a day. you have to take off the coolant resevoir, pax mount, waterpump pulley, crank pulley both timing belt covers...I would have a decent sized pry bar with me as there really is no room for that waterpump pulley to get out of there. its a pita but i got through it so it cant be that hard, lol.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
TeamZetec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84603
What I Drive: 2000 Focus SE Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 TeamZetec Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoregon View Post
At 69k miles I suppose it's time to change out the timing belt. Haynes makes it look alot easier than the one I changed on my 96 dodge stratus 2.4. At least there is a way to lock in TDC and secure the cams. Is it really that easy? Al
my mom's Atlantic Blue 2000 Ford Focus SE w/ Zetec made it to 130k miles on the original timing belt before it went. They are non-interference motors so i would just run your Focus till the timing belt goes. Thats what I do when I buy a car that has a non-interference engine. Now my Focus with the SPI...thats a different story...they are interference...and my timing belt is dry rotted. Replace replace replace...always at or before 60k miles when you have interference engine
Old 04-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
ajoregon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84873
What I Drive: 2004, white, wagon

FF Reputation: 1 ajoregon Good Standing Member
Thanks for the input. I read conflicting information about this engine as far as the interval (60K verses 120K) and the possible valve/piston damage (interference verses non-interference) so it is good to hear of your experience. Thanks again. AJOregon
Old 05-05-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
Vexorg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85499
What I Drive: 2001 Zx3 ChromeGold

FF Reputation: 3 Vexorg Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoregon View Post
Thanks for the input. I read conflicting information about this engine as far as the interval (60K verses 120K) and the possible valve/piston damage (interference verses non-interference) so it is good to hear of your experience. Thanks again. AJOregon

It's my undertanding that it's a "freewheeling" motor, and a Failed belt won't seal your engine's fate. I suggest visual inspection, and if it's not broken or looking shabby, don't fix it. I've had 125K on one thats still feeling fine.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
bradmra
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73319
What I Drive: 02 ZX5, 2011 Optima SX

FF Reputation: 1 bradmra Good Standing Member
between 90-100k miles is when the timing belt needs to be changed from what I've been told.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Djzx3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The non SVT Zetec's are non-interference, but there has been a few case's of people having a couple valves bent.

And I found doing the timing with the Haynes manual to be somewhat easy, but as said before, the hardest part is the water pump pulley. I got the one's that I could from the top, then lowered the engine some to be able to get to that T-50 I think, and even then a ratchet is not possible, I had to use a 10MM wrench to turn the T50 bolt in the bottom.
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 06-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #8
truckguy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 168602
What I Drive: 2002 racing green ZX3

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 truckguy Good Standing Member
I bought my 2002 ZX3 last August with 201,000 miles on it...my mechanic took the timing belt cover off to check the belt...the belt had white cracks on the outside of the belt...he said its original and wouldn't drive it out of this garage so I decided to have it done. Wouldn't surprise me that this timing belt was original....but I used the best parts and had it done the right way....and next change over will be at 321,000 (at 120,000 mile interval) miles.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,961, Level 33
Points: 2,961, Level: 33 Points: 2,961, Level: 33 Points: 2,961, Level: 33
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 39%
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
ALL timing belts on these are 120K change now, the change happened when belt material changed on all around '98 or so. Before that the belt makers advertised 60K on everything. Both SPI and standard zetec motors are non-interference, the standard zetecs I've heard of bending valves are ones overseas with different dish in piston tops that valves then hit to bend. US models won't unless it's a SVT. On SVT you change the belt early or nix the motor, it WILL bend valves.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:42 AM   #10
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

Points 4,574, Level 43
Points: 4,574, Level: 43 Points: 4,574, Level: 43 Points: 4,574, Level: 43
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
ALL timing belts on these are 120K change now......
I know this is an older thread but have to ask.......

Five years ago I put a 60k mile belt on the car, not knowing how much longer the car would be around. This past summer I changed the belt, had just under 60k, and put on another 60k belt from Advanced Auto - again thinking this would be the last one. Is Advanced Auto just being ultra conservative?

When looking at belts five years ago some were advertised as 90k mile belts from the parts stores. So it looks like you could have anything from a 60k, 90k or a 120k belt depending on where and what was previously installed
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.