How To: Tune with SCT Advantage, work in progress ... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
How To: Tune with SCT Advantage, work in progress ...

First and foremost, I am a novice at this and in no way claim to be a pro. This is simply my opinion of how to get started. I do ask that others chime in if I have something wrong, with more explanations, things I've overlooked and things I've not covered. I'll try my best to make this as complete and specific as possible.
I'm also going to try and make some Excel templates to help guide you along. If/when that happens I ask for help in making sure they work properly. I shouldn't need any help coding them, I've gotten pretty good with Excel over the last year.

- Step .5 (optional)

If you have swapped fuel injectors or changed the base fuel pressure you have to leave adaptive on, you need to enter your new fuel injector specs (Fuel Injector - Scalar), then you have to go for a drive and log. You want to log "FUEL SOURCE" and "LTFT BANK 1".

The car has to be at operating temp while logging. You'll need to drive as long as you can and at a relatively steady speed; the longer you drive and the more consistent the load is kept the better, which is why a dyno works best for this part.

Once you have that log you'll need to use a spreadsheet to analyze the data (Excel). You want the average of the LTFT's for bank 1 and you take that # divided by 1 and multiply the answer by the "Fuel Injector Low Slope" (or maybe high slope will work best for you, Like I said I'm just a rookie, Low Slope worked best for me). You will use the 'fuel source' to separate the data. You are only concerned with fuel source zero.

What that does it correct the total amount of fuel injected. For instance, if your WBO2 log and your STFT logs don't match during Closed Loop, your injector slopes are the problem. This corrects that.

But there are also other ways to accomplish this which I won't go over.

- Step 1: Tuning your MTF

Now you need to load a tune with adaptive off.

You'll need to log "STFT FINAL B1", "MAF AD COUNTS" and "TP RELATIVE".

You'll "filter" the TP RELATIVE column keeping everything that is below the WOT setpoint, stock this is about 642 (of the ~778 total). What this does is leave you with everything that is part throttle and idle, exactly what you need to tune the MTF.
You copy and paste values of STFT and MAF, sort the MAF smallest to largest, copy and paste your MTF Counts and start averaging your logged values of STFT, average to the next highest number ... 130 to 190, 191 to 230, etc.
This can be done idling or driving. Driving seems to work best because you can get well over 400 counts and filter out anything that is WOT.

- Step 2: Tuning WOT fuel

You'll need to log "STFT FINAL B1", "MAF AD COUNTS", "SPARK SOURCE", "FUEL SOURCE", "TP RELATIVE" and your WBO2 (analog 2).

This time you'll be driving hard at WOT, probably well above posted speed limits. Again a dyno is best for this part, legality and safety being of concern. Also it's not a good idea to do this step until step 1 and 2 are quite close to accurate. If step 1 is skipped you run a good chance of running lean and venting the block.

Now you want to log WOT runs and the more data you can get the better. Which means you want a slow increase in MAF Counts. So first, second and third gear are pretty useless. You'll want to use fourth and fifth gears. Do as many WOT runs as you can safely. That is both speed wise and AFR wise. If you start leaning out STOP.

Load your log into the spreadsheet. Sort it by MAF Count and use the Fuel Source to view only source 5, which is your commanded Lambda from you "Base Fuel Table". You again want averages per your MTF ranges. Again you take 1 divided by your average, take that answer and multiply it by the corresponding MTF cell, #/min.

If you STFT's match your Base Fuel Table commanded Lambda you'll need to use the WBO2 data to correct the MTF. Again you only want fuel source 5. To do it this way you have to convert the WBO2 voltage to a Lambda (or that's how I do it, voltage isn't easily readable to me anyways). This is the equation I use to do that, (2*V+10)/14.7. Then you take the Lambda divided by the STFT. That answer gets multiplied by the correct MTF cell, #/min.

The reason you may, and will, have to use both methods is that WOT at lower RPM's may infringe on your cruising speed MAF Counts and load increases for things like steeper grades. This somewhat blends the two so you don't go overly rich when you don't want to. Or at lest I think it works well.

- Step 3: Tuning Ignition Timing

You'll need to log "PULSEWIDTH B1", "SPARK ADVANCE", "LOAD" and "RPM".

You will have to log a few times at least and the logs may get long. What you want is enough data so you have all loads at all RPMs. Driving is the best way to do this, actually the only way.
It's easiest to load a tune 'with options' where you can add/subtract timing from the 3 optional RPM ranges.
You'll log as you are, then add 2 degrees across the board and log again, then subtract 2 degrees (from the base tune) and log again. You'll have to sort the logs by LOAD smallest to largest. You'll be looking for the lowest PW at the same Load and RPM, this will be the best timing for that cell. Stock you have 99 cells to fill. Takes time to do this so don't guess or rush it.

What this ends up being is tuning for the best Brake Specific Fuel Consumption, BSFC. That is the most power from the smallest amount of fuel.

After this is done you may need to go back and tune the MTF WOT as timing may change the WOT Lambda slightly, the WOT MTF values are what they are only if the timing is the same. As timing changes so does the Lambda seen on the WBO2.

Text in red is exactly the PID you want to log, capitalized and spelling.

to be continued ...

Last edited by iminhell; 06-07-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
There is no need to log or watch LTFT 1 or 2 those are long turm only

You dont need to log anything bank 2 because we have a 4 cyl and bank 2 would be for a v6 or a v8 engine

You have a good bit of things that need to be changed in there

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
iminhell
C2H5OH

If you swap injectors you need to watch LTFT. That is the part I wasn't told about and what bit both me and Pete in the ass. I used both the Ford and SCT specs for the FR 42# injectors and I couldn't get the MTF correct using either. I was told to turn adaptive on and log LTFT. I did that, adjusted the low slope and now my trims are very good. So I'd say getting injector values right is a very important step.

I forgot to edit out the bank 2 stuff. I'll do that now.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
I dont agree but if that works for you thats fine , I have never had any issues getting the slopes right and have never used the LTFT and always turn off the adaptive learning

Why watch the LTFT the STFT is NOW what the ECU is doing on the fly in now time , if the STFT is say -10 for a good bit of time then the LTFT takes that and some what helps the stft to go back twords 0 you need to be watching the STFT and make the changes needed there is no sence in waiting for those changes to got to LTFT which takes some amount of time , turn the adaptive off

Your making things much harder then they need to be

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
iminhell
C2H5OH

I'd rather be safe than sorry being the level of each person will be different. Some might need to do step one, some might not. But at least they'll know how to verify things, and I don't consider that a bad thing ever.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

I dont either , BUT doing the LTFT isnt needed at all when the STFT will show you long before the LTFT knows its needed

Why add a step thats more confusing then anything and in my opinion serves no help when the STFT does the same thing but in a shorter amount of time

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
If your STFT's are right then there wont be any adjustments for the LTFT's to make.
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
LTFT does not do any of that injector slope checking business. The only way to fix injector slopes is to get a feel for what your load is vs what it should be, and understand how the MTF changes what load you see.

The ONLY way you can use LTFT or even STFT to fix injector slopes is if your MTF is PERFECT (as in, the actual air coming in is what is in the tune, this does not just mean that the trims are good). Otherwise you are shooting in the dark and working against the grain.

Low slope is only active for the very very earliest part of injection, once you get past about 100 maf counts the high slope is active. The only reason to change the low slope is if you know your slopes are wrong and are causing idle or decel issues. Use the combination of changing high slope and fixing the MTF, to get load to where it should be, that is the only easy way to fix the injector slopes.

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Like I have said for a long time , you make things far harder then they have to be and a lot of stuff that doesnt need to be done

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I may not be the most famous tuner or most known.... But give me your car and a wide band and in less than six hours I'll give you a custom tune that feels factory... Give me six more hours and it'll be the best you've ever had.

You guys don't realize just how many I've done just to see if I could...SCT, Diablo or FAST....makes no difference to me.

Unfortunately I can't afford a dyno....yet.
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]

Bookmarks & Social Networks