diagnose my problem? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-21-2004, 11:48 AM   #1
retinaburn
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11887
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 retinaburn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
diagnose my problem?

So anyone have any idea what my be causing this? First off when you start from a stop and dont give it much gas and release the clutch the car falls on its face like there is just no fuel going to it, however it catches back up almost immediately. Also if you give it enough gas it does not do that. The other part of the problem which im guessing its the same problem, is when you are driving at a constant speed it feels like the car is surging. I have had the fuel pump replaced twice already so i dont know if it would be that, ,but i definetly think that it is fuel related. If it were a spark plug or spark wire (or anything ignition related) I would think it would be a constant problem. But when you floor the car it doesnt do anything weird only at steady speeds and when starting.

NEONE?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
First problem, you probably getting close to 'stall' when you don't give it enough gas when you release the clutch. That can happen with ANY MTX even brand new cars. It's how you drive a MTX, the process. All cars if you don't give them enough gas off the line when you release the clutch will do this.

Surging, assuming you mean when you are at a constant speed and everything else is holding still the car sorta 'lunges' forward, like a bad shift sorta feeling right?
Old 09-21-2004, 12:03 PM   #3
pm5019
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11867
What I Drive: 02' ZX3 Blue w/white stripes....Tha

FF Reputation: 1 pm5019 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I noticed the surging part too on mine. I notice it around the 50mph mark. It kinda lightly chugs at a steedy pace but soon goes away. It dosen't do it all the time so I don't know what to look for. To my knowledge no recalls have been done on my car I have a 2002 and I baught it used with 8000 mi on it. But I did notice this surge about a week after I got the car. I was thinking it was eletrical related. Sorry I couldn't help. Maybe you can use my car as a referance seeing that I haven't had anything done to mine.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:22 PM   #4
retinaburn
Focus Enthusiast

I knew someone would say its how im driving, trust me its not. I have been driving a manual since i was 13 and racing them since i was 16.

Its not a normal bog...the only way i can really explain ohw it feels is its like when i first installed my nitrous on my civic and we had the wrong fuel jetting in it, when you would floor it the car just fell on its face. Thats what my focus does only its when releasing the clutch. Trust me im giving it enough gas for any normal car...it's just when i dont give it lots of gas that it does it.

I also just put on a new muffler and havent reset the ecu...i seriously doubt thats it as the focus is always relearning but ya never know.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:23 PM   #5
retinaburn
Focus Enthusiast

as far as the surging goes, its like when you have your foot on the gas then release it then give it gas again but exaggerated and it does it at constant throtte.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:30 PM   #6
NR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8782
What I Drive: 2002 twilight blue zx3 5 spd

FF Reputation: 1 NR Good Standing Member
what kind of sparkplugs are you using???

I supposed fuel filter has also been changed when you got the pump replaced?
custom magnaflow cat-back(3 inch pipe), steeda lowering springs, mac shorty intake, focus firepower ignition and livewires, autolite platinum sparkplugs, reverse indiglo gauges, painted stock rims wrapped on sumitomos HTRZII, shorty antenna, mintex pads, aeroquip brake hoses, ebc rotors, no resonator, debadged, limo tinted, halo headlights, steeda short shifter, 4-2-1 race header, W-TYP sideskirts, S2 side mouldings, mazda tribute door handles
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2004, 07:54 PM   #7
slammedfoci
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2137
What I Drive: 2000 Bright Amber Metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 slammedfoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I do not think thay do the filter when they replace the ful pump at the dealer. I know they only replaced my pump. I have to do the filter my self.
PERFORMANCE:Aem cai, Aem air bypass valve, Autolite double platinum plugs,Ford Racing 9mm plug wires, Full magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fc race header, Focus Central Flex Pipe, Fc 65mm throttel body ,Fc strut brace, Prothane lower mount inserts, Prothane front and rear swaybar bushings and rear endlink kit, Fc spark plug cover
EXTERIOR: Aerospeed lowering springs, Sidemarkers, Svt upper grill, 03 Grey Headlights, Flat Black Stock 15s, APC Gen. 2 Mirrors, Euroglow Xenon Headlights
INTERIOR: Fc short shifter, Auto meter duel a-piller guage pod, Auto meter phantom oil pressure and Volt gauges, Ford racing tach w/shift light, SVT alum. pedals, Rear seat removed
Old 09-21-2004, 08:02 PM   #8
Damien019
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8502
What I Drive: 2001 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Damien019 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i have an ATX '01 that's bone stock and i have a similar suging problem. replacing filters hasn't worked, i test drove it w/ a mechanic and he said that the engine was 'missing' but they could never fix it. i've never replaced my dpfe so i think that's what it is...
hope that helped a little

Exterior:
Debadged - Clear grille lights - Eibach pro kit - FS "cool-air" intake - FS cat-back - FS shorty headers - RT high-flo cat

I.C.E. :
JVC EM Khameleon HU, 2 - 5x7 Polk/MoMo fronts - 2 Audiobahns powered by a RF 1200w 2 chan. amp
Old 09-21-2004, 08:53 PM   #9
retinaburn
Focus Enthusiast

Well i have had people tell me that my car "misses" also and I have always been like how, the damn thing is nearly stock engine wise...except for an aem short ram and exhaust. I am going to try to replace the dpfe and see what that does.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:58 PM   #10
tension001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2278
What I Drive: 2001 Infra-Red 5sp ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 tension001 Good Standing Member
air conditioning? My car used to do exactly what you are talking about. I changed the autolite double plat plugs and had the fuel pump replaced. I still had the problem. After i installed my new TB and Intake i no longer had that problem. As for the bogging. Mine does that as well. Worse now with new intake and tb than stock. If i get on the gas at the same time i come off the clutch it just bogs and doesn't do anything. The rpms fall too low and i have to get on the gas more. So most of the time i just get on the gas earlier before coming off the clutch and it doesn't do that. Or i rev it up a little as i start off the clutch.

OBX 4-2-1 Race Header; Borla 2.5" SVT Catback; MAC Short Ram; FC 65mm TB; FC Race Shifter; Gear Concepts Aluminum Pedals; Painted Interior; SVT Front Bumper and grille

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.