2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 85 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #841
NorthernFocalPoint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89496
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Titanium Focus HB

FF Reputation: 3 NorthernFocalPoint Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Weight will definitely factor in but the 2% difference I was referring to was the difference/inaccuracy that will be measured by the odometer when switching from 15" winters (using 195/65/R15) to the factory 17"s without compensating/reprogramming the instruments. The odometer will think it's going farther than it actually is in one case vs. the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
Lighter wheels will usually give you better acceleration and braking in part because they're lighter but more so because they have a lower moment of inertia. A pound more at the rim of a wheel would have the effect of more like ten pounds elsewhere.

Running the bigger wheels (18") with wider tires (235+) increases the moment of inertia quite a bit and actually slows the car down in acceleration and braking. It will tend to improve cornering, but on a car that's pretty good on cornering to begin with and is modestly powered I don't think FOCUSing on wider tires makes much sense from a performance stanpoint.

Of course, most of the reason to go with the bigger wheels is an aesthetic one and not a performance one...

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #842
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
You can create a HUGE difference in mileage in the city just based on your driving habits, as long as you're not -waiting- at lights for significant periods of time. (I qualified this with that last part because if you're stuck idling there's nothing you can do except turn off the engine.) If you drive around in San Francisco or NYC, you're probably screwed no matter what you drive or how you drive it.

The trick is to preserve momentum. Especially in city driving, DON'T hug the bumper of the car in front of you. Leave the biggest space in front of you that the guy behind you will accept without getting all road-ragey on you.

When you're coming up to a red light, slow down early. You want to be moving, and moving as fast as possible, when you reach the car in front of you.

In light city traffic (say, 1-5 cars stopped a red light), I can still eek 35 mpg out of my warmed up manual SE. This all centers around NOT racing to the red light. You want to limp along so you preserve as much momentum as you can and stay off the brakes as much as possible. Every time you touch the brake you're giving away momentum you paid for in gasoline.
They should probably teach this in drivers ed classes. The biggest factor, outside of extreme weather, is the way people drive there cars. Like you said, in some places, particularly southern California, the stop and go nature of even the interstates is beyond your control so the best choice is a hybrid or motorcycle. The added benefit to MC's is that in most places your allowed to move to the front of the line at stop lights...

Brian
Old 04-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #843
TitaniumFred
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86524
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 TitaniumFred Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFocalPoint View Post
Pioneer gas or MacEwen?

After trying Costco gas 2 wks ago, I got pretty decent city MPG's on my first tank, but this week I'm getting horrible MPG's (about 3MPG worse)! So bad that I checked my tire pressure (I swapped the winter tires off last week) and sure enough they were all low (34-35PSI). But even after pumping them upto 39PSI, my MPG's are not as good as back in the fall when I got the car before changing over to winter tires. I suspect this batch of Costco 87 octane gas has definitely got the full 10% ethanol.
The better mileage was from MacEwan on Fallowfield. Esso is giving me the worst mileage so far.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #844
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '12 Black SEL 302A; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Tried something else this week. I have decided long ago that no matter what manufacturers and eco-freaks beleive, getting a car into the highest gear possible as fast as possible to save gas is flawed logic. When you do that, you are lugging and putting more LOAD on the engine. An engine under higher load uses more fuel. Their idea might be okay on a flat road in the great plains states, but not for everyone else (especially not WV which is where I live).

Sooooo, I decided that all week I would shift my DCT using sport mode select shift like I would if the car was a manual 6 speed. And what do you know, I gained a 40mpg average in combined city, highway, and rural/hilly road driving. I didn't poke along, I just selected the proper gear (1st thru 6th) to keep the car from lugging (but also not turining too much RPM unless I was having fun) and that was it. Just yesterday, I filled my car up and drove 122.2 miles (to work, around town, to a trip on the highway to a city around 30 miles away, around there, etc.). Wanna take a guess as to how much gas it took to fill it back up? 3.004 gallons.

All I did different was shift myself. 40mpg combined at "fun" speeds is pretty damn good in my book.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #845
cessna1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97921
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 cessna1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I suspect this batch of Costco 87 octane gas has definitely got the full 10% ethanol.
Just remember that if it is 87 octane,10% ethanol, then the 90% gas is portion is sub octane poor quality gasoline that is the biggest reason for the mileage loss. Sub octane is about 84.5 octane by itself. Would be interesting if someone would test 100% sub octane and see what the mileage is.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #846
DarinS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88257
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium hatch, BMW E30 335iC

FF Reputation: 1 DarinS Good Standing Member
I'm taking mine in to the dealer. f$*& this.

When I bought my car I was getting 39mpg on the highway. Last month I took a good, long roadtrip (1200mi) and only managed 31mpg. Today I filled up, calculated by hand and only managed 27mpg on 90+% highway driving at 60mph. WTF.

It's not the gas I use, I've tried half a dozen different brands and stations. It's not the routes I drive, I drive the same route to work every day. It's not my driving habits, I've always been able to beat the EPA estimates in every car I've ever owned.

Since I bought it my mileage has been getting worse and worse and worse! That last tank was only 3mpg better than my 20 year old 525i luxobarge.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #847
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Forgive me if the data I post here is from a 2004 Toyota Matrix XR -- my 2012 Titanium is on order but I have not received it yet.

I just picked up a scantool (OBDLink MX) and downloaded the Android app Torque and have been doing a little control testing with my Matrix before I get the Titanium. I figured I'd learn the ropes with the Matrix so I can be ready to go when the Titanium arrives.

Anyway, I did a number of tests at the following speeds: 30mph, 40mph, 55mph, 65mph and 75mph and duplicated them in the other direction over the same stretch of road to cancel out road and wind variations. I should also say that the roads were nearly dead flat and the wind was light. Also, I had to use two different roads because driving 30mph on I-80 would be illegal and dangerous and driving 75 on a back road posted at 25mph would be very risky.

Now prior to these tests I've always used the direct measure method by calculating the miles driven divided by the gallons used to fill up the tanks so this is a first using the on board measurements.

Here's the data:

75mph (west bound) = 32.87mpg
75mph (east bound) = 32.93

65mph (west bound) = 37.65
65mph (east bound) = 41.51

55mph (west bound) = 47.09
55mph (east bound) = 47.60

40mph (west bound) = 52.46
40mph (east bound) = 59.85

30mph (west bound) = 64.26
30mph (east bound) = 67.37

When I saw the number for the lower speeds I was flat floored! And, since there's no way to practically verify these numbers by driving a tank or two at those speeds it's hard to say if they are reasonable or if the measurements are less accurate at lower flow rates. I can say, however, that the numbers for 75mpg are very consistent with my measurements after tank filling.

The only way I can think you could confirm the mileage numbers for 30mph and 40mph, short of driving a tank or two at that speed, is to rig a graduated cylinder with a known small amount of gas and then driving from one mark on the flask to another so you can accurately measure actual fuel usage.

In case your interested, the stretch of roads used were I-80, just south of the Great Salt Lake between SLC and Stansbury Park. I used I-80 for the higher speeds and a nearly parallel road, called North Temple Frontage for the lower speed tests. Also, I drove 4-5 miles at each speed using cruise control and did not count the accel/decel data between the speeds.

Brian
Old 04-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #848
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinS View Post

When I bought my car I was getting 39mpg on the highway. Last month I took a good, long roadtrip (1200mi) and only managed 31mpg. Today I filled up, calculated by hand and only managed 27mpg on 90+% highway driving at 60mph. WTF.

It's not the gas I use, I've tried half a dozen different brands and stations. It's not the routes I drive, I drive the same route to work every day. It's not my driving habits, I've always been able to beat the EPA estimates in every car I've ever owned.

Since I bought it my mileage has been getting worse and worse and worse! That last tank was only 3mpg better than my 20 year old 525i luxobarge.
I'm sure you've put enough thought into this to check, but I'll throw out there: tire pressure?

Low tire pressure will drop mpg by a lot. Just as a test, try putting everything 3-4 over whatever it says on the door. I think i've been using about 40 psi front and back.

OT: i've been getting 36-40 on my commute. Got to love saving all that money on gas. My 528i couldn't beat 20.

Edit: I just looked over your post again, and it sounds like something is wrong. I hope their computer can find it because otherwise, they will just say it's fine.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #849
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinS View Post

What kind of roads were you driving on during this long trip? You indicated you were driving at 60mph which would be slow on the interstate and fast on lesser roads...

Brian
Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #850
DarinS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88257
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium hatch, BMW E30 335iC

FF Reputation: 1 DarinS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
I'm sure you've put enough thought into this to check, but I'll throw out there: tire pressure?

Low tire pressure will drop mpg by a lot. Just as a test, try putting everything 3-4 over whatever it says on the door. I think i've been using about 40 psi front and back.

OT: i've been getting 36-40 on my commute. Got to love saving all that money on gas. My 528i couldn't beat 20.

Edit: I just looked over your post again, and it sounds like something is wrong. I hope their computer can find it because otherwise, they will just say it's fine.
I'm at 38psi all around. I could bump them up but 40+psi makes for a shitty ride.

Oddly enough my trip computer said 32mpg on this last tank even though it was only 27 when calculated by hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
What kind of roads were you driving on during this long trip? You indicated you were driving at 60mph which would be slow on the interstate and fast on lesser roads...

Brian
Well the long trip was from Portland, OR to San Francisco and back. used the CC 90% of the time, set it for 60-70mph (depending on the speed limit) and just cruised. No A/C.

My route to work is on a state highway with a 55mph speed limit. Mostly strait, very little elevation change, 45mi round trip. Like I said though, I've driven the same route to work for a long time in several different vehicles I've owned and I've ALWAYS been able to blow past the EPA estimates for highway mileage by 2-4mpg. Now I can barely hit city! And it's getting worse :( I even tried running premium and it didn't make a damn bit of difference.

Bookmarks & Social Networks