2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #71
kilcher
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85597
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch (red)

FF Reputation: 1 kilcher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a 2012 SE hatch w/ just over 1100 miles. I commute about 90 miles a day, maybe 15 of that is getting to and from the interstate and then once I'm on it I do 70. Temps have been 80-90. Lots of ups and downs but nothing major. I'm getting 34.6 but I've really been babying it. It's slowly inching up but if I get on it a bit it doesn't take long to drop. 700 of those miles were on it when I got it, I'm guessing those were mostly test drives so it'll take a little while to average out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #72
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,376, Level 57
Points: 7,376, Level: 57 Points: 7,376, Level: 57 Points: 7,376, Level: 57
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012silversel View Post
How many gallons did it take?
I've filled up at 20 to E and squeezed in 10.5 gallons. This was when I just got the car and wasn't exactly going for good fuel economy...so 20 mpg was about average at that time.

I'm assuming the 'to E' means until the main tank is gone, I think it has 1 gallon reserve.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #73
Ohuigin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83056
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Metallic Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Ohuigin Good Standing Member
Hey guys,

According to the product information manual that a dealership gave me about a month ago, it states that the fuel capacity on both the sedan and hatchback is 12.4 gallons. It doesn't mention anything about a reserve tank though. The other interesting tidbit is that the heaviest version of the 2012 is actually the Titanium 4-door @3025 lbs. (base curb weight, approx.), whereas the Titanium 5-door comes in 29 lbs. lighter @2986 lbs. Obviously, these weights vary based on packages/options. Also, the 5-door is about 6" shorter than the sedan.

-B

2012 S. G. Metallic Titanium Hatch - Born on 5/10/11
Options / Customizations:
-Handling Package
-Debadged
Old 05-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #74
Jazzdog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79102
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy M5 Titanium Hatch

Points 55, Level 1
Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Jazzdog Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuivan View Post
Actually I read on blue oval that there is a flower...

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...focus-ecomode/
"Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:14 PM
Figured it out... when you see the MPG readout, you left joystick to the right.

Has 2 flowers you can grow petals on... and you can also win a trophy which it displayed for great eco driving... heh, pretty neat. "
Had my SEL hatch since tuesday, I officially loathe this Ecomode BS. Just give me usable information like a sliding bar with superimposed ave MPGs so I know if I'm doing better or worse than current average.

Ecoturd is insulting, they calculate the data and pat you on the head - feels like a trophy for participation. This is the only thing on the car I dislike, everything else I'm loving. Not posting MPGs yet as i'm having too much fun playing with the Sport mode manual shifting.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #75
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
I am getting about 37MPG so far with about 350 miles on the clock, cruise set between 55-65, 80 mile commute with 85% highway driving. I am very happy, compared with my Fusion Sport AWD that got around 24MPG.

I filled it up when it was at 0 miles to empty (yes, I was far from the next gas station, I won't do it again, promise) and it took 11.5 gallons of gas. I am thinking it must have about 1 galllon reserve when showing empty (which is good).

I also dislike the EcoMode, it's cool when you first buy the car but useless to me at this point. It's always maxed out, flowers all green and I am always an Eco Champion. Like Jazzdog said above, I would rather have an instant MPG in a bar graph like the new Edge or F-150.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #76
Indydi
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84608
What I Drive: 2012 Hyundai Elantra

FF Reputation: 1 Indydi Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
Posted on Ford Focus Facebook page........

Popular Mechanics, ran a real-world comparo with 5 cars, including new Focus. Results are interesting, with Focus sedan (38.6 mpg) second only to a diesel Jetta (40.4 mpg) but ahead of Chevy Cruze (36.7), Fiat 500 (34.6) and well ahead of the Hyundai Elentra (32.3)!! Love that! -- Mark Schirmer, Ford Communications
Well, it appears that bias is making its way into these figures. Wonder how much Ford paid them to get those results. I'd rather go with Consumer Reports, one of the few unbiased sources out there. The Elantra got 3mpg better than both versions of the Cruze they tested. New Focus hasn't been tested yet, so the verdict is still out on that one.

Even C&D, which I do consider a biased source, had the Elantra doing better than the Cruze. The Focus got only 1 mpg better than the Elantra, which is hardly worth bragging about. The Cruze (tied with the Mazda3 s Sport) got the worst mpg of all five cars in their May comparo.

I'd consider the Focus and Elantra equals as far as mpg, and technically for me, the Focus would be worse as I'd get the stick shift. People don't realize how little difference a few mpg makes (especially those who fork out $1000 more for an SFE package to get 1 mpg more). But I seriously doubt the numbers you quoted. No one else is seeing the Cruze beat the Elantra, so that calls into question all the other figures.

My 3-day Elantra rental gave me 44mpg on a trip that combined mostly highway with some city, and 30 in the city. I got 39mpg in gusty rain going 70-80 mph. I couldn't believe a small car could handle those conditions so well and also get that kind of mpg.

I'm hoping to find a Focus to rent sometime before we're ready to buy, but as of right now, I'm going with the Elantra.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #77
sfshilo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85793
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE 5-door manual

Points 35, Level 1
Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 sfshilo Good Standing Member
5 door SE manual

Getting 25-26 in town. Every time I drive the thing it seems to go up lol.
Getting 5/5 ratings for everything as well. (It does the whole "eco" ratings of your driving for speed, anticipation, and shifting)
Old 05-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #78
usapatriot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73594
What I Drive: 09' Black SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 0 usapatriot Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshilo View Post
Getting 25-26 in town. Every time I drive the thing it seems to go up lol.
Getting 5/5 ratings for everything as well. (It does the whole "eco" ratings of your driving for speed, anticipation, and shifting)
Just wait till it fully breaks in, expect a nice jump in MPG over time.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #79
cfioretti
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85702
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 cfioretti Good Standing Member
Just filled up...my average was 27MPG for the SEL sedan. I do at least half highway driving too and drove it easy. Very disappointed with my mileage.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #80
cpogordon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85208
What I Drive: 2009 VW Tiguan

FF Reputation: 1 cpogordon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfioretti View Post
Just filled up...my average was 27MPG for the SEL sedan. I do at least half highway driving too and drove it easy. Very disappointed with my mileage.
I'd be happy if I get 27 mpg in the city as that will be between 35-40% better than I'm getting driving around town now.

Bookmarks & Social Networks