2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 79 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #781
Visioned
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93729
What I Drive: 2012, Red Candy, Focus SE

FF Reputation: -1 Visioned Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
36.4 on the last 3/4 tank. highway miles that time
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #782
Swerveson
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97261
What I Drive: 2012 Oxofrd White SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Swerveson Good Standing Member
145 mile all-highway round trip averaged 38.2.
Since then, i have been driving 50/50 city/highway. I currently see 34.1 mpg. I have about 1/4 tank left.
Last tank was all 50/50 city/highway driving and I averaged 30.4 (on both Fuelly and my car's trip computer). I just passed 1k miles. Ive already saved roughly $75 on 3 fill ups. Niiiiiice.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #783
thisiskevin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95067
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport 5MT

Points 198, Level 3
Points: 198, Level: 3 Points: 198, Level: 3 Points: 198, Level: 3
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 thisiskevin Good Standing Member
I just drove from Pittsburgh PA to Durham NC and was extremely happy with my mileage. I was getting a consistent 39 mpg on the highway with cruise set to 55-70 and I topped out at 42.4

City mpg have been mid 30's recently. Im happy with it.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #784
DougC
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86547
What I Drive: The biggest mistake I've ever made.

FF Reputation: 1 DougC Good Standing Member
I'm at an average of 34mpg over the first 10,000 miles on my 5 speed SE.

2012 Ingot Silver Focus SE 5spd w/ Sport and Winter pkgs.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #785
NRG_Zeal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95088
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL hatch

FF Reputation: 1 NRG_Zeal Good Standing Member
I'm averaging 28-35 most of the time.

My personal best is 42.something on the highway though. On the DCT!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #786
DarinS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88257
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium hatch, BMW E30 335iC

FF Reputation: 1 DarinS Good Standing Member
So I'm pretty disappointed in this:

Took a road trip from Portland, OR to SanFran this weekend for a surprise birthday party. 100% interstate driving, filled up when we left and tracked mileage the old-fashioned way the whole time. I used cruise control for 95% of it, setting it to 5mph above the speed limit. This meant most of the time I was doing 70mph with occasional bits at 60mph or 75mph. Overall mileage for the trip was only 31mpg. DAFUQ??? I realize these cars get their best mileage at 55mph but damn, that's a huge economy penalty to just keep up with traffic!

What doesn't make sense to me is that I made the same trip 2 years ago in my '91 525i. It had a no-frills 2.5L DOHC six with no VVT, no DI, nothing. It's rated at 15/23 yet in July with the A/C cranked to 11 in the CA central valley I managed 27mpg for the same exact trip at the same speeds (and that's back when the EPA mileage estimates were notoriously high!)

Something just seems off when 100% highway driving nets me only mixed driving fuel economy

I have always been able to beat the estimated mileage on every car I drove, old or new, truck or car, anything. With the Focus I can't even get mixed MPG on the highway! WTF. The car has about 6300 miles no it now so I was hoping the break-in period as over.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #787
NorthernFocalPoint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89496
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Titanium Focus HB

FF Reputation: 3 NorthernFocalPoint Good Standing Member
Have you checked your tire pressure, lately? I put mine to about 39PSI

You're about due for an oil change, pop synthetic 5W-20 in this time.

Is your A/C on alot? Do you have climate set to AUTO?

Curious as to whose gas you usually buy from (or do you go to whoever's nearest when you're getting low)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinS View Post

Took a road trip from Portland, OR to SanFran this weekend for a surprise birthday party. 100% interstate driving, filled up when we left and tracked mileage the old-fashioned way the whole time. I used cruise control for 95% of it, setting it to 5mph above the speed limit. This meant most of the time I was doing 70mph with occasional bits at 60mph or 75mph. Overall mileage for the trip was only 31mpg. DAFUQ??? I realize these cars get their best mileage at 55mph but damn, that's a huge economy penalty to just keep up with traffic!

What doesn't make sense to me is that I made the same trip 2 years ago in my '91 525i. It had a no-frills 2.5L DOHC six with no VVT, no DI, nothing. It's rated at 15/23 yet in July with the A/C cranked to 11 in the CA central valley I managed 27mpg for the same exact trip at the same speeds (and that's back when the EPA mileage estimates were notoriously high!)

Something just seems off when 100% highway driving nets me only mixed driving fuel economy

I have always been able to beat the estimated mileage on every car I drove, old or new, truck or car, anything. With the Focus I can't even get mixed MPG on the highway! WTF. The car has about 6300 miles no it now so I was hoping the break-in period as over.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #788
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 4,172, Level 41
Points: 4,172, Level: 41 Points: 4,172, Level: 41 Points: 4,172, Level: 41
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinS View Post

A couple ideas ...

First, if you were fighting a headwind that would lower it. Second, that trip is going to be mostly sea level or just above it. My current car (Toyota Matrix XR) I get an average of 33-34 mpg even at 80mph, but if I have a nasty headwind that can drop down below 29mpg. I see a couple mpg difference between sea level and the 4500 feet I live at. Add that up and you could be looking at nearly 20% difference. Now if you go with a strong tail wind and get 3mpg greater the difference could be almost 30% between best and worst conditions -- all with the same car and gas!

Brian
Old 04-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #789
DarinS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88257
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium hatch, BMW E30 335iC

FF Reputation: 1 DarinS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFocalPoint View Post
Have you checked your tire pressure, lately? I put mine to about 39PSI

You're about due for an oil change, pop synthetic 5W-20 in this time.

Is your A/C on alot? Do you have climate set to AUTO?

Curious as to whose gas you usually buy from (or do you go to whoever's nearest when you're getting low)?
Almost no A/C, the valley was pretty cool. I left it in Auto but if the A/C switched on I generally tried to turn it off.

Tire pressures are whatever was set at the factory, haven't checked them.

I buy gas from whoever is closest usually, which is often Chevron

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
A couple ideas ...

First, if you were fighting a headwind that would lower it. Second, that trip is going to be mostly sea level or just above it. My current car (Toyota Matrix XR) I get an average of 33-34 mpg even at 80mph, but if I have a nasty headwind that can drop down below 29mpg. I see a couple mpg difference between sea level and the 4500 feet I live at. Add that up and you could be looking at nearly 20% difference. Now if you go with a strong tail wind and get 3mpg greater the difference could be almost 30% between best and worst conditions -- all with the same car and gas!

Brian
Yes I realize headwinds can have a big effect, but being a round trip of over 1200miles I don't think that was the case here. I wasn't fighting a headwind for the whole journey.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #790
me2000
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85106
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
In my experience, going 70 kills your MPG. Keeping it at 60-65 has resulted in consistently getting 38-40 MPG combined.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.