2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 69 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #681
Hawktwoe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91129
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sedan 5spd SGM

FF Reputation: 1 Hawktwoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Kam327, I have a 60 mile round trip commute daily. I ran 2 tanks full out making the commute at 70 mph. The first tank was 35.318 mpg. The second tank was 35.89 mpg. The third tank I ran 75 mph and that tank full figured 34.98 mpg. Clear enough?
63 Galaxie 500XL fastback
94 FXSTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #682
kickstand
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97226
What I Drive: 2012 Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kickstand Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawktwoe View Post
Kam327, I have a 60 mile round trip commute daily. I ran 2 tanks full out making the commute at 70 mph. The first tank was 35.318 mpg. The second tank was 35.89 mpg. The third tank I ran 75 mph and that tank full figured 34.98 mpg. Clear enough?
I commute about 80 miles per day, 80-90% highway. I noticed the same, except my mileage was 33/34.

I've also done long highway trips at 70 mph and then the next tank at 75 and again noticed its just about a 1 mpg difference.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #683
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawktwoe View Post
Ok yes, a little clearer now. But still far from anything scientific. Proven by the fact that you calculated a 0.6 mpg difference between 2 tanks at the SAME speed. How can you then confidently state the difference is only 1 mpg at different speed? Too many variables in play which cloud the data.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #684
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
I commute about 80 miles per day, 80-90% highway. I noticed the same, except my mileage was 33/34.

I've also done long highway trips at 70 mph and then the next tank at 75 and again noticed its just about a 1 mpg difference.
Understood. Backup is always good. What percentage of time, not miles, but time do you guys spend on your commute off highway when you're presumably driving the same speed in both cases? That's going to narrow the gap a lot over the course of a tank.

I think someone on a long trip that fills up, gets right on the highway and depletes the entire tank before getting off again is going to get several mpg better at 70 than 75. In my '08 Escape I would get around 21 mpg highway on trips from Jersey to Michigan but on a trip from Jersey to upstate New York decided to take it real easy and keep speeds between 60-65mph and calculated about 26 mpg over two tanks.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #685
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Sounds identical to my commute, 22 miles, maybe 20-25 potential stops but probably actually have to stop at 15 of them. I'm getting around 33mpg, accelerating pretty aggressively but coasting whenever possible.

I'm interested to know, do you actually shift into neutral and let off the clutch when you coast? I've read that's worse than coasting in gear because of the fuel shut off feature. Also, how slow do you accelerate to say 50mph? Can you measure the seconds on your next commute? I was getting better mpg after starting to accelerate more briskly and getting to 50mph (the economy sweetspot) sooner, but maybe that was just a result of breaking the drivetrain in and I'd do better with slow accelerations.
I started coasting in gear instead of in neutral halfway through that last tank since I read that tip in the thread. I believe it's better. The exception is if you're coasting through a low-speed-limit area and have to pick up speed after you coast through; then I think it's best to coast in neutral because even though you are burning gas to idle the engine, coasting in gear bleeds off a lot of momentum that you can keep if you coast in neutral. If you're coming up to a stop sign, coast in gear because you don't need to preserve momentum--you're going to stop after all.

So on the last tank, to get 39, I did everything I could short of overtly breaking the law. I'm rolling through rural stops signs if no cars are in view (with a clear view in all directions of course) in 2nd or 3rd gear where I can. And a lot of my stops are in the city back to back which helps--it's going to be tons better to go from 0-25-0 than 0-65-0.

I'm also not entirely convinced I really got 39. It seems too good to be true for the drive I have to do. I'll get a better idea next fillup. I do buy at least 37, though. In event, I filled the car at the same station in the same way both of the last times--let the pump click off and that's it, no topping off.

The single biggest factor I've found is to use the brake as little as possible, and the biggest tip I have there is to coast to stop signs from as far away as possible, as traffic permits. You want to be as close to the bottom of 2nd gear as possible before you have to touch the brakes.

I have been accelerating sloooowly, as traffic allows. I will drive more normally after my next fill and see what it does. Accelerating a little faster while continuing to shift in the sweet spot could actually be better since you get to your most efficient gear faster. Not sure yet.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #686
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
So on the last tank, to get 39, I did everything I could short of overtly breaking the law. I'm rolling through rural stops signs if no cars are in view (with a clear view in all directions of course) in 2nd or 3rd gear where I can. And a lot of my stops are in the city back to back which helps--it's going to be tons better to go from 0-25-0 than 0-65-0.
Ha ha, uh, I'm pretty sure Office Krupke would say that rolling through stops is in fact overtly breaking the law. But I get what you're sayin....

Cool thanks for the elaboration. Yeah I'd believe 37 too, 39 seems a bit much, but maybe. I could probably coast a little more than I already am but not without peeving off drivers behind me as much as I get peeved getting held up by someone going 5 under the limit in front of me. I think on my next tank I might try the real slow accelerations and at least see what the computer is calculating for mpg over a couple days. If it looks like a significant improvement I'll take it to the end of the tank and confirm with a calculation.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #687
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
I started coasting in gear instead of in neutral halfway through that last tank since I read that tip in the thread. I believe it's better. The exception is if you're coasting through a low-speed-limit area and have to pick up speed after you coast through; then I think it's best to coast in neutral because even though you are burning gas to idle the engine, coasting in gear bleeds off a lot of momentum that you can keep if you coast in neutral.
With a manual transmission, it might still be best to upshift in these situations to the highest gear that will keep you above idle, rather than idling. Regardless of speed, if you are in a gear that keeps RPMs just above idle, very little momentum will be lost through the drivetrain. It would be hard to determine if you would be burning more gas idling or making up from the lost momentum, however.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #688
Hawktwoe
Focus Enthusiast

I did not account for wind speed or direction, just real world observation. I guess I should put on a disclaimer "your actual results may vary".
94 FXSTC
Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #689
Hawktwoe
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post

Thanks Kickstand, I was just wondering if anyone else got the same results. I knew 55mph vs 75mph was a big difference just curious about the 5mph variance.
94 FXSTC
Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #690
Boomertwo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96378
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 Boomertwo Good Standing Member
Don't take this the wrong way but I find people who drive slower to be more of a hazard on the road than those who drive the speed limit. The same for those who driver over the speed limit. The speed limits were put in place for a reason and if everyone drives the same speed then there would be little reason to pass anyone.

I understand we're trying to max our MPG in this thread but doing all these extra steps just makes driving seem more like a chore. Yeah the economy is crap but just drive the car and enjoy it. You may save a little bit doing all these steps but really who wants to go from work into another job aka driving their car in such a complicated manner.

If you really want to save money on gas you should have bought an all electric car. Devils advocates is your electricity bills will be a lot higher and you can only go short distances.

Yeah I bought my car for fuel savings but it wasn't the only reason. I also bought the car as I liked the experience of driving it. If the car had like no balls like the fiesta (only my opinion) then I wont be happy. I drive not to be bored but to enjoy the experience.

Also coasting/rolling past stop signs is against the law as you must come to a complete stop. An officer can pull you over if they catch you doing this.

If I offended anyone then I apologize ahead of time.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->