2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #31
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
There is a difference between ignorance (not knowing) and incompetence (knowing and not using the knowledge).

As far as the mileage computer, do your own experiments. Even dividing you trip miles by the number of gallons can be off by 1 mpg either direction because it's difficult to gauge how much you've put in a tank exactly. If you find a 1-2 mpg difference, then I'd call that insignificant. If it's more than that, then you'll have to figure out which one is more reliable. Typically, it's the old fashioned method. This applies to all vehicles- including the mighty Prius. I recently had a friend with a new Prius figure his mileage by using the old method, and he came up with only 36 mpg. We're still waiting on several tanks to average it out- that's my excuse to calm him down even though I know it's only going to average around 36.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #32
jamminsvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61360
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 2 jamminsvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
More often then not the read out on the dash changes due to conditions and will give you what your car is averaging at that moment. Its not necessarily what you average will be after a full tank, like what the other equation will dictate. Granted neither of these are 100% accurate.
Where do you get this information from? I've been figuring gas mileage since my dad would yell at me for not figuring it fast enough using long division and a pencil and paper,lol. If you reset the mileage when you fill up and run a full tank before resetting again it will give you the mileage for that tank, not at the moment. I have checked it manually and by using the car computer on my 2005 GMC Sierra, 2008 Mustang and 2003 Freightliner and they have all been very close. I would say in terms of accuracy percentage the vehicle computer is probably closer to 100% than figuring it manually. Although, neither is perfect.
#783 of 4788
SVTOA Member
MCA Member
"Government is not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem." Ronald Reagan
Old 04-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #33
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing MemberCJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
First off you need to break the car in. Then you need to be figuring out gas mileage by driving with a full tank, and when you go to fill up again, take the amount of gallons (exact) that went in and divide the miles you drove that your trip readout says with it. (trip readout/gallons put in = cars average mpg.)
What he said. Welcome to FF, BTW.
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Old 04-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #34
Spartan12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85167
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Spartan12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
More often then not the read out on the dash changes due to conditions and will give you what your car is averaging at that moment. Its not necessarily what you average will be after a full tank, like what the other equation will dictate. Granted neither of these are 100% accurate.
Can't say I agree with that, but I'll explain why. My gas hogging 2008 4.6L V8 Explorer is a perfect example. If I fill the tank and never reset it, it'll read at or around 17-18 MPG the entire time. Even if I all out floor it a few times. It may change half a MPG or so, but that's about it.

If I hit the reset button, while I'm driving for example, I can be getting 25 MPG for a few minutes before the trip computer corrects itself.

In short, I'm sure that most trip computers are measuring average fuel economy over time. If it were averaging at the moment, my highway mileage or city mileage would reflect on the trip computer instead of my tank average. While I'm on the interstate I'm getting higher than my average, but that doesn't reflect on the trip computer, same for city driving. If I get on the interstate and it says 16.2 MPG, it won't reflect my average highway mileage for a while.

How long that time period it's averaging is unknown to me at least.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #35
MarkAlan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85186
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 1 MarkAlan Good Standing Member
Smile

Just did 175 miles from Palm Beach to appointments in Miami/Hialeah. Hand calculated 38.2 mpg! :). As anyone in South Florida knows this is all types of driving.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #36
bryantest
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72040
What I Drive: Focus 5 door (used to drive)

FF Reputation: 4 bryantest Good Standing Member
Markalan

Your SEL is equipped with what specific packages?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #37
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 8 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I reset the computer today before leaving for work, and by the time I got back it was just over 30 mpg. That's a pretty dead mix of highway and city, plus it's a short ride (13 miles total) so it's not like it to cruise on the freeway for 30 miles and get killer mileage. That's about right with my kentucky windage math. Put just over 10 gallons in last fill up, drove just over 300 miles. Close enough for me...
Old 04-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #38
RiskySeven
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85101
What I Drive: 2012 SEL 5dr 303A Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 RiskySeven Good Standing Member
By digital readout: 33.2mpg

- Average over full tank of gas
- 1100 Miles
- 42 mile daily commute, 2/3 highway, 1 day had horrid stop/go traffic one way
- Took it pretty easy...a full throttle blast or two on entrance ramps...definitely takes a hit there!

Gonna take another average doing everything reasonable (?) to improve mileage...I'll post after this tank. My guess is 38mpg best I can do.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #39
itr86
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84086
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 itr86 Good Standing Member
Getting 34 after my first 120 miles, mostly highway.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:51 AM   #40
MarkAlan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85186
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 1 MarkAlan Good Standing Member
303A Leather, 17" polished wheels.

Bookmarks & Social Networks