2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 24 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #231
Targon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81074
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL 5-door

FF Reputation: 2 Targon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMBRUSKI View Post
Eddie, here is a reply that I received from Customer Relations about 2 months ago regarding the Grille Shutters:

We are happy to hear about your interest in the newly redesigned 2012 Ford Focus. At this time, the active grille shutters are standard on the following models:

*All SE 4 door models
*All Titanium 4 & 5 door models
*All models with "Green State" Emissions
*All models with the optional Winter Package (available SE, SEL, Titanium)
*All models equipped with the optional Engine Block Heater

I wanted to make sure that my Focus had the Grille Shutters, so I ordered it with the Winter Package. I don't know how much they help, but I am getting significantly better mileage than the EPA estimates for a Focus with manual trans.
As I recall the RPM at 70 is about 2900. I will double check tomorrow on my way to work.
Vinnie
I am guessing "green states" are the ones with PZEV requirements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #232
uberjeff
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85949
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 uberjeff Good Standing Member
Does anybody on here have an account at fuelly.com? It is a free site to track your fuel economy history. They also have an app for iPhone and Android so you can track right at the pump. I signed up for an account today to track my GTI and will start tracking the Focus once it arrives.

If you decide to join post your user name on here and we should start to have a great database of real world fuel economy info. My user name on Fuelly is also uberjeff. There are only 3 or 4 2012 Focus owners registered at the moment. We should be able to blow that up.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #233
TitaniumFred
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86524
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 TitaniumFred Good Standing Member
1000kms on the odo.
7.4L/100km highway
10.5L/100km city

Lemee see if I can find a conversion program....
32mpg hwy
22mpg city

Been reading through the replies and I'm not sure people are recording their mileage accurately...This is what I did:
Fill up in the city, reset the trip and mpg computers. Drive around the city and record mileage
Fill up somewhere, get on the highway, reset the computers again and record mileage after a reasonable distance

If you don't do this, you will get combined city/hwy readings. For example, if I drove on the highway for quite a while, my mileage would read high. It would take a while of pure city driving before the actual city mpg would start to show up on the computer.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #234
EddieWinslow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86598
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 EddieWinslow Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMBRUSKI View Post
Eddie, here is a reply that I received from Customer Relations about 2 months ago regarding the Grille Shutters:

We are happy to hear about your interest in the newly redesigned 2012 Ford Focus. At this time, the active grille shutters are standard on the following models:

*All SE 4 door models
*All Titanium 4 & 5 door models
*All models with "Green State" Emissions
*All models with the optional Winter Package (available SE, SEL, Titanium)
*All models equipped with the optional Engine Block Heater

I wanted to make sure that my Focus had the Grille Shutters, so I ordered it with the Winter Package. I don't know how much they help, but I am getting significantly better mileage than the EPA estimates for a Focus with manual trans.
As I recall the RPM at 70 is about 2900. I will double check tomorrow on my way to work.
Vinnie
I am starting to think i don't have the shutters, however there is no winter option for the SEL hatchback? So is it possible i do have them?

Filled up the tank today. 7.8L/100KM manually calculated. hopefully it only gets better from here.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #235
CharlieRose
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86472
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 CharlieRose Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris84 View Post
I know it's not the same car, but in our 2011 fiesta automatic non-sfe model we got an indicated 49.8mpg driving from las vegas to northern california. I believe we only stopped twice, and didnt fill up the entire trip (almost exactly 500 miles). Drove between 55-65 the entire way and tried to stick behind a semi-truck when we could. The tank is only 12 gallons and we filled up just 10.6 gallons when we got home for a calculated 47.64 mpg.

I only mention it because the fiesta is rated at 28/38 and our new focus at 27/37. I only have 150 miles on the focus but I'm hoping to get similar mileage. This is an extreme example of almost 100% highway driving at fairly low speeds doing everything we could to eek out the best mileage. It felt pretty good knowing we could beat out a prius!
My wife's car is a 2011 Fiesta with the 6-speed automatic too, and she gets about 41 mpg on her commute. But I wouldn't be too disappointed if you don't get similar mileage in your 5-speed Focus, because you'll be running about 400 rpm higher on the interstate.

And speaking of...I got 36.5 MPG on my last tank of gas. Manual transmission SE sedan, premium gas, 75% interstate driving @70mph, hilly area. That's the computer readout--I was in a hurry and didn't get the receipt to calculate it manually.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #236
xf7975
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86353
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 xf7975 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjeff View Post
Does anybody on here have an account at fuelly.com? It is a free site to track your fuel economy history. They also have an app for iPhone and Android so you can track right at the pump. I signed up for an account today to track my GTI and will start tracking the Focus once it arrives.

If you decide to join post your user name on here and we should start to have a great database of real world fuel economy info. My user name on Fuelly is also uberjeff. There are only 3 or 4 2012 Focus owners registered at the moment. We should be able to blow that up.
I'm prontospyder on fuelly.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #237
EddieWinslow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86598
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 EddieWinslow Good Standing Member
Username on Fulley is

EddieWinslow
Old 06-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #238
flygry1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86605
What I Drive: 2012 se sedan sterling grey

FF Reputation: 1 flygry1 Good Standing Member
We just completed a 4000 mi trip which included mountain driving in the Black Bills, the grand canyon, and Colorado Springs. This also included getting stuck in Chicago traffic. Total actual mpg for the entire trip was just over 40mpg!! I also noticed that when using the 89 octane which has more ethanol the mpg reading was too high compared to the actual usage. Shell 87 octane seemed to do the best.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:01 AM   #239
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Manually calculated last tank at 33.61 mpg. Almost made it to 400 miles on one tank, '5 miles to E' on the computer. Squeezed 11.78 gallons in at fillup. About 50/50 driving, first half a lot of city and spirited driving, last half mostly freeway locked in at 70 mph.

Computer says average since last reset (two tanks ago) is 32.1 mpg. Computer was high after first fillup, reading above 30 but actually getting 27. Now it seems to have evened out a bit...seems it's more accurate if you let it be.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #240
scottjl
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86588
What I Drive: 2012 StrlGry 5dr Ti

FF Reputation: 1 scottjl Good Standing Member
I thought I read in the manual not to even bother measuring mpg in the first 1000mi. The car won't settle down until 2-3k. So I'd take anything you get on a test drive with an iceberg of salt. Not to mention mpg is very driver dependent (lead foot vs. lightweight).

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->